Poll: The thing you hate the most about reboots?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    as long as they're good by my standards i don't really care.

I hate reboots cause it ruins the enjoyment of the originals if i watch the reboot and it sucks.

I honestly cant watch the original Ghostbusters now without that new abomination popping into my head as a bad flashback to a memory i wish i could expunge.

People always say 'oh its not like the originals are not there anymore' and though i somewhat agree with that statement try watching your fave film and the reboot and tell me if the reboot doesn't pop into your head while watching the original at any time?

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    yeah but the 1984 Thing is how you do a proper remake, you take something obscure, and maybe not properly made, and make it your own fantastic piece of cinema
    not "omg this movie was super successful, let's ride on the coattails of it's success and branding and try to cash in on it" which the new thing did.
    I wouldn't have called The Thing from Another World obscure but then I've seen a lot of 50 sci-fi. I saw that Invaders from Mars was on telly last week and went to watch it only to see it was some mid 80s version (Funnily enough by Dan O'Bannon). There used to be a lot of those films on around teatime here when i was younger (This Island Earth, When Worlds Collide, that sort of thing)

As to Ghostbusters, I laughed once at the trailer but it was at a bit that was a scene from Young Frankenstein so wouldn't credit them with that. I may watch it if it's on TV at some point but that's a big maybe. Hard to believe the effects look worse than the originals.
    Last edited by Jodmos; 2017-10-02 at 04:51 PM.

They're a testament to an a) industry and b) society that has become incredibly boring, uninmaginative, mentally and creatively regressed and debilitated and uninterested in new, inspiring and original things, and would rather prefer regurgitating the little that they already know until everybody drops dead from vomiting.

Basicly options 1, 2, and 3 combined. Wherever there is one, second will follow soon enough, and third is just not visible at the time. I find recasting different races and genders to be the precursor of everything going wrong with the film. It is the canary in the cole mine warning against the bad writing, and directing that will follow. So there is no surprise when it turns out that the end result strayed so far from the source material.

Examples that come to mind include Fantastic 4 reboot, The Dark Tower, and Death Note (2017 Netflix abortion)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    YES. I'd been hearing that and getting excite, but trying not to get too excite, as I'm picturing Almost Human reaction. Slow and then really good and growing fan base, only to get punted too soon.
    Actually, they're courting people like Amazon Prime and Netflix, so it should get a couple of season at least.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

they happen a little bit too often and a little bit too often they fail.

Spooderman
    F4our
    to name a few

I picked 'other' because i could not pick 'all of the above'. And we simply have far too many reboots. The latest for me is the new Ducktales. I enjoy the nods to the source material and appreciate the smart and/or subtle jokes, but some changes are just cringeworthy.

I get sick of reboots like Spiderman and Batman... that... even if they are good in their own right.... are simply retelling the same events you've already seen in a dozen other movies & videogames.

As much as I enjoy superhero origins stories, "new" stories are much more interesting to me.

It takes zero creativity to steal an old story and repurpose it with new paint.

10+ Year Old Account
    adding too much unnecessary controversial bullshit to something for the sake of having controversial bullshit in the movie"oh my gawd ghostbusters are girls now?!"

also rebooting stuff for multiple times like spiderman and using like 1/3 of a movie just to introduce the story all over again and again and again
    Last edited by Nnyco; 2017-10-04 at 08:37 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't hate all reboots, sometimes reboots can really work, some movies need a reboot or a remake, (Looking at you Howard the Duck), then there are some that should never be touched, like Ghostbusters (still have not seen the movie).

One of my favourite remakes is House of Wax, and no not the 2005 version, I am talking about the 1953 version which was a remake of the 1933 movie 'Mystery of the Wax Museum'.

The Fly (1986) is also a great reboot of the original 1958 version.

Also recent remakes would be Dawn of the Dead (2003), I loved that version.

But then there are some done badly, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), The Karate Kid (2010), Planet of the Apes (2001), Poltergeist (2015), The Wicker Man (2006), Fan4stic to name a few.

It does really depend what those egg heads in Hollywood have to offer something that was already done perfect. How can you obviously make it better. Just updating it doesn't really add much. But remaking an already awful movie, you really dont have much to lose :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-10-04 at 11:13 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance