Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    Yes, they all use milk, which is why I only by milk produced by farms that I have researched and trust to treat their animals humanely. Thus, it's a non-issue for me. As to rennet... again, there are tons of cheeses that don't require rennet, and many that used to be made using rennet that no longer use it. A simple google search will show you a list of many brands and many types of cheese that are rennet free.

- - - Updated - - -

Most people aren't vegetarians because they dislike the flavor of meat...

- - - Updated - - -

If his facts were remotely correct it might...
    If that's the way you choose the cheese you eat, then you're a good vegetarian. Sadly the bulk produced vegetarian cheese uses the same milk, from the sam farms, as non-vegan cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Because the milk needed to make the cheese results in 7 out of ten calves born get a one-way ticket to the slaughter house.
    I’m fine with that veal is damn tasty!

So the 70% of the calves born, just so the cows can produce milk, which have no further use, are collateral damage?
    much like the 90% of humans that are born that have no further use, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    What about the "vegetarians" that eat fish and eggs? I bet those are more hypocritical than this cheese thingy
    Depends entirely on why they're doing it. It's not for vegetarians that do it only for health reasons. It's also not for vegetarians that see the brain's responses in fish as different than those of mammals, for which there certainly is some evidence. As for eggs... it's an unfertilized egg... it hurts no one and nothing unless you're buying from factory farms.

As the title suggests, vegetarian cheese.

Most cheese is made by mixing milk with rennet. Those are enzyms habiting in a cow's stomach, even more in calves. Vegetarian cheese replaces that with a chemical or yeast.
    In order for a cow to produce milk it should have calved recently, or given birth as we call it with humans. Only 30% of those calves are used to become a new generation of milking cows. The rest will end up in the slaughterhouse where they will also be used for the rennet which resides in their stomachs.

Long story short: eat cheese and enjoy some veal from time to time like a normal human being. Or go full vegan and don't even touch cheese. But vegetarian cheese is for hypocrites.
    No the worse ones are Vegan Meatballs...local eatery does that crime against food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still they all use milk, don't they? In the USA you don't even have to tell you are using rennet.
    The most popular cheeses around the world use rennet.
    Are you talking about "Vegetarians eating cheese" or "Vegetarian Cheese" as in your title. Vegetarian Cheese usually has no animal byproduct whatsoever.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    I’m fine with that veal is damn tasty!
    I agree, as son of a butcher. If people want to be vegetarian, go ahead you have my blessing. But eating vegetarian cheese, with milk from those milking factories is just hypocritical.

Long story short: eat cheese and enjoy some veal from time to time like a normal human being.
    Glad to know I'm not "normal" because I don't eat veal. Also AFAIK, there's no meat in any cheese so isn't all cheese vegetarian?

PS: I'm a mega carnivore, but I don't eat baby animals.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

If that's the way you choose the cheese you eat, then you're a good vegetarian. Sadly the bulk produced vegetarian cheese uses the same milk, from the sam farms, as non-vegan cheese.
    It is the way I choose to shop for my dairy. It costs notably more in some cases, but to me it's worth it. In some cases it's actually cheaper, because I know some local farmers and friends that raise chickens for fun. I get most of my eggs for free, for example.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I always thought the effort of trying to make veg foods takes like meat foods to be funny. Its like these people admit that meat tastes better than a tofu hunk.
    Meat does taste way better I personally find it less moral so I don't eat it but if they had lab grown meat without having to kill any animals I would eat it in a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I always thought the effort of trying to make veg foods takes like meat foods to be funny. Its like these people admit that meat tastes better than a tofu hunk.
    I don't think anyone denies that. It's the killing animals and raising them in shit conditions only to kill them part that irks them.

Baby cows are slaughtered if they aren't female and if they are they're put in a cage and forced to give birth over and over, after which the calf is taken away from them.

It's disgusting.

I agree, as son of a butcher. If people want to be vegetarian, go ahead you have my blessing. But eating vegetarian cheese, with milk from those milking factories is just hypocritical.
    Generally, I think it's less about hypocrisy and more about either not realizing or thinking about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Glad to know I'm not "normal" because I don't eat veal. Also AFAIK, there's no meat in any cheese so isn't all cheese vegetarian?

You missed the rennet part?

vegetarians in general are hypocrits but they want to eat meat flavored foods. If their food was really that great they wouldn't have to make it taste like meat.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    Generally, I think it's less about hypocrisy and more about either not realizing or thinking about it.
    Maybe I made people "woke"

Quote Originally Posted by Hengwulf View Post
    How is that hypocritical if they avoid using rennet? It seems to be completely along the vegetarian principles, so not hypocritical at all.
    Cheese is made of milk. Milk that is only produced by producing more calves. Where are the calves supposed to go if not the dinner-table? Space? Might as well use the rennet they produce to make the cheese then...

The horrid amount of methane gas not taken in mind...

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    What about the "vegetarians" that eat fish and eggs? I bet those are more hypocritical than this cheese thingy
    If know ones that eat fish and act it's totally different then eating an animal I really don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post

Some cheeses are made with animal byproducts. That's what the op is on about.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I made people "woke"
    I don't personally know any vegetarians that don't pay pretty close attention to where their dairy comes from, but maybe. The real question is why is it so important for you to tear down someone trying to do something they view as moral? Guilt, perhaps? I don't judge, I'm just curious. It's not like I've been a vegetarian all my life.

A good portion of cheese does not use rennet presently and I am pretty sure soon few will still use it as it’s probably a better business model to produce cheese without rennet across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    If know ones that eat fish and act it's totally different then eating an animal I really don't get it.
    Some people view fish as different than mammals due to differences in their nervous systems and brains. I'm not one of those people, mind you, but that's why they differentiate. It's the same rationale that has created the uptick in bivalve veganism.