Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mi...medium=partner

Thoughts on this?

I'm in strong agreement with the courts and the father here. The law exists to protect innocent children from contracting terrible diseases that are easily preventable, and the father's parental rights are clearly being flouted here. Not to mention the multiple court orders. Additionally her entire argument "God forbid he be injured, then what?" is without merit - there is a federal fund that exists specifically for the purpose of providing financial relief to people injured by vaccines who need to seek additional medical care.

Personally, I think the mother should just do the damn vaccines, she is helping nobody (including her child) by refusing, and her child will have the vaccines administered while he is in his father's care (and she is in prison) anyway.

Also, why are their waivers for this in Michigan for "philosophical issues"? Medical reasons are a given, religious exemptions as well (though in my view, if you have a religious exemption to vaccines, your child should be in a religious school, where everyone carries the same risk), but philosophical reasons?
    Good. She deserves to be in jail for endangering the lives of her child, the children around her child, and immunocompromised persons she and her child may interact with on a daily basis.

So does every anti-vaxxer.

Deleted
    “God forbid he were to be injured by one of the vaccines. Then what? That’s what scares me.”
    I guess catching a possibly lethal or crippling disease that the kid could be protected against doesn't scare her.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    It should be illegal not to vaccinate your children unless there is a known health concern. No religious exemptions, no philosophical exemptions.
    Exactly - health exemptions only.

15+ Year Old Account
    God forbid he were to contract a dangerous disease by not getting a vaccination.

If parents are worried about their kid getting autism from a vaccine (no evidence that this has ever even been the case) then what it really means is they'd rather their kid risk life-threatening illnesses than have autism.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbix View Post
    I guess catching a possibly lethal or crippling disease that the kid could be protected against doesn't scare her.
    Just trying to explain away her ignorance. There really should be an application process for having kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    As opposed to catholic schools?
    Catholics accept evolution and the big bang theory as well as climate change. They are fairly progressive when it comes to science.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    I want to be snarky and say you can get one as good as you can draw with your crayons, but I don't actually know, I'm not down there.

I know the homeschooled kids are held in general disdain however, but I don't know whether that's purely on a political disapproval basis or they actually underperform.

Probably have more than one actual homeschoolers on this board right now, spewing pro-Trump #MAGA-isms. Should ask them.
    In general, they actually do quite well. They have a much higher college graduation rate & gpa (source).

This is thought to be because students that are home-schooled are generally done because the parent is committed to their child's success. The generally receive a full education, but essentially have a private tutor (their teacher) to help them with all their problems. If they're struggling in math, the teacher can simply shift the day' schedule to do more math so the student grasps it. If they need more homework, they'll assign it. Since education is at home, it's also much more engaged, help is readily available, and teachers are able to hand build the curriculum and assignments around a single pupil.

I did my freshman year of high school at home, and I was able to finish both freshman and sophomore year in one year. My mom didn't want me to finish high school in 2 years, so she sent me to the public school for the remainder of my education. I placed out of pretty much every sophmore/junior course and was sat with seniors. That year propelled me greatly academically.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    These people need to be sterilized. (not really but...)

God forbid he were to be injured by one of the vaccines. Then what? That’s what scares me.”
    Stupid bitch... how do you send him out the front door everyday where much greater and more probable risks are everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    Does America land not have any good home school options? I know here in Canada you can get mailed school course books for grade 3-12 and earn credits towards a high school deploma that way.
    Lots of people home-school their children in the US. I'm not sure how "good" it is, but it's definitely an option that is there.

The main problem in this case isn't vaccines or waivers or home schooling; it's that the parents are divorced and have joint custody. That is, if the father says one thing and the mother says another then an arbitrator--in this case a judge--has to step in. He did so on the side of the father and getting vaccinated, and now the mother's refusal is in defiance of a court order.

If the two of them could simply agree on an outcome, the law would support either decision they made. But they can't, and now judges are involved. Ignoring them is not an option.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

I'm confused as to why people have the most stupidest link to vaccinations with autism... If the child has autism then that's life? A child will develop those characteristics regardless, it's in their bloody genetics and their body. Contracting a deadly disease is certainly not genetic. After watching my son be on death's door by just having an infection that was cured by antibiotics and a blood transfusion, I was the fucking first to be in the door for vaccinations for my kids.

If a simple bacterial infection almost took a life - something we can battle roughly everyday by our immune system, I won't be taking chances with fair scarier shit that can be prevented by just a single pin prick. I don't get why people don't see that.

What irks me even more if having a religious view but somehow loving the fact we have science intergrated into the world and taking those advantages despite it? Just so idiotic with bringing in the whole religious thing. Where was her religious calling when she was giving birth? I bet you any money they wouldn't have brought up their religious beliefs if complications arrived. I seriously doubt they would say God's work will make sure the baby lives or dies. Fuck no, I bet any any complications she would be running straight to science for herself and the child. Just complete hypocrisy from the moment she spare her legs to this court case to pretend otherwise.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2017-09-29 at 09:04 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    These people need to be sterilized. (not really but...)

God forbid he were to be injured by one of the vaccines. Then what? That’s what scares me.”
    Stupid bitch... how do you send him out the front door everyday where much greater and more probable risks are everyday.
    Exactly - it's like send her kid to play in the freeway because she doesn't want them to get hit by a plane. And yes, I know that analogy is mildly messed up - that's part of the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    I'm confused as to why people have the most stupidest link to vaccinations with autism
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy

This is from the Andrew Wakefield scam in 1998. While his publication was completely bogus and was retracted in 2004, but it stuck to people's minds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

"I dun wantz muh born normal kid to develop autism from teh vaccines, so I'll not only endanger him but also every kid coming in contact with him err'day!".

That's how I think of anti-vaxxers. There are no reasons acceptable other than medical ones. Thinking your child will become autistic, ain't a medical reason. It's just stupidity. Religious reasons can, quite frankly, go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Religious reasons can, quite frankly, go to hell.
    but that is their worst fear :OOO

10+ Year Old Account
    What is it about white suburban mothers who seem to follow this anti-vaxxer trend?

Before people accuse me of being racist let me explain. I'm in a predominantly Hispanic and Asian area due to the businesses nearby and also the myriad of universities etc. If I hadn't met these lovely women I would have chalked it up as a stereotype but no, white, often late 20s to middle-aged, mostly middle-class income women who not only seem to be hell-bent on being anti-vaccination but overwhelmingly opt to not get a vitamin-k injection at birth for their child which is pretty much standard practice everywhere else.

A few times might be a coincidence but if they weren't different people I would swear they are channeling the same hive-mind and it's honestly uncanny. Thankfully not everyone is unreasonable and some kindness, understanding for their concerns, actually talking to them and showing data for both the hack that is Andrew Wakefield and current day publications tend to win them over. Of course there are the unreasonable ones and it's pointless to try and convince them as they are immovable in their misguided beliefs.

Oh and a bunch of them seemed to be quite taken with Gwenyth Paltrow. Am I missing something as I don't follow pop-culture much .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Verzen View Post
    No to home schooling. It allows religious fundamentalists to lie about science.
    What about home schooling where the state approved public school material is provided to the student to work through in a self paced manner.

Oklahoma has that through a for-profit corporation. Controversy aside their attainment stats are higher than traditional public school, are taught the same curriculum and students are allowed to test out of grade level if they reach mastery of a subject.

I work with a guy who moved from South Carolina and he and his brother both tested out of high school at age 15 under a similar program.

Only argument I have to home schooling is you have to have a student who is well motivated to learn and stay on task or parents who can maintain discipline enough so they child stays on task. If you don't have that "home school" may as well be permanent recess for all the good it does.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by abracmike View Post
    Religion and philosophy are arguably linked.
    I don't want to go any further than that here since that's already likely treading on the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Michigan is a very "Purple" state, with significant religiosity driving policy.
    I can understand that, but was surprised that religious reasons was specifically listed, and philosophical as well.

It reads like "Well I don't want to vaccinate because I think they are bad, because reasons" would be a valid excuse for a waiver, which seems really shortsighted to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    As opposed to catholic schools?
    For what its worth, I was sent to Catholic school for 13 years. Our science classes taught evolution as the sole predominant theory among scientists.

Our religion classes taught creationism as the way God designed the universe.

This was reconciled in the overarching curriculum as "God designed life on Earth, and used evolution as the means to do so" which is much more palatable than cavemen riding dinosaurs onto Noah's ark.

Of course, the most surefire way to make someone agnostic or atheist is to indoctrinate them in hypocritical christian policy for their entire childhood. Naturally, I identify as agnostic since about age 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy

This is from the Andrew Wakefield scam in 1998. While his publication was completely bogus and was retracted in 2004, but it stuck to people's minds.
    Oh I know about that research, but I'm confused as to why people even think that is even reasonable research and study. The foundation of everything in that research has nothing crucial. I can understand religion, it's kind of exempt in a way to have supporting evidence if you understand that... But science as an entirety had to be built on fundamental and supporting evidence.

I also don't understand how for this particular thing, religiously it's been included to further back up the mother, in a sense denying science to strength anti-vaxxing but yet in the same token, say that science has dictated that vaccinations give autism as a decent and further cause to also deny it. It's like trying to have your cake and eat it with a heavy sparkle of hypocrisy... It's like just moronic in itself.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2017-09-30 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Additionally her entire argument "God forbid he be injured, then what?" is without merit - there is a federal fund that exists specifically for the purpose of providing financial relief to people injured by vaccines who need to seek additional medical care.
    It would be really fucking awesome if the vaccination destroyed the child to the point it lost at least one limb, just so everyone who mindlessly supports vaccination can get humblefucked.

Wait, one of her arguments is the fear of her child being harmed by the vaccine yet she is apparently completely fine with letting her child be vulnerable to potentially life threatening diseases? wow I think I just had my fill of stupid for the day.

I hope she goes to jail and the child gets the vaccines while she is behind bars.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2017-09-30 at 12:00 PM.