Ret Mage Tower Challenge problem with Runeseer

Decided to try this again tonight, but in my 10 attempts in the past hour, the Runeseer's shield never breaks during Ancestral Knowledge, no matter how much DPS I do to him (I'm 930 iLvl, last attempt was 1.02 mil DPS). Mind you, this is not at 50% health or below, but right from the start.

Has anyone encountered this? AFAIK, this is not what is supposed to happen, but maybe it has changed since the challenge was first available? I wanted to inquire before I submitted it as a bug.
    Last edited by Gloriandus; 2017-10-02 at 01:00 AM.

Have you tried saving AW/Crusade for it? Your overall dps is irrelevant if you can't burst the shield down when you need to. It's really not a dps challenge. I'm not convinced it should be needed at that ilvl, but I'd go ham on it before calling it a bug.

Did the ret challenge 3 weeks ago or so, and I didnt need AW or Crusade to burn through his shield (I was ilvl924) When he was about 50% cast, it would burst and I interrupted the spell.

Seems like a bug to me, since I was doing an average of 850k dps through the entire thing.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous" he said.

- Ogvai, 6th legiones Astartes.

Quote Originally Posted by Svad1287 View Post
    Did the ret challenge 3 weeks ago or so, and I didnt need AW or Crusade to burn through his shield (I was ilvl924) When he was about 50% cast, it would burst and I interrupted the spell.
    That's what I was doing wrong! I had no idea I was supposed to then interrupt the cast; I thought breaking the shield canceled the cast. So I have been breaking the shield, but I assumed it hadn't been broken since he kept casting.

:slinks off into the corner:

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriandus View Post
    That's what I was doing wrong! I had no idea I was supposed to then interrupt the cast; I thought breaking the shield canceled the cast. So I have been breaking the shield, but I assumed it hadn't been broken since he kept casting.

:slinks off into the corner:
    Hehe, well, I am honored to have been able to help out one of the great Paladin Tmoggers on these very forums!

May you enjoy your new Challenge skin, and not have to much trouble in the 10 RBG's ;-)

Hehe, well, I am honored to have been able to help out one of the great Paladin Tmoggers on these very forums!

May you enjoy your new Challenge skin, and not have to much trouble in the 10 RBG's ;-)
    I had my ret skin since tower opened up, have no idea how to actually get RBG color one, there doesn't seem to be any groups for it and guild doesn't do it :/ It's messed up
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascius View Post
    I had my ret skin since tower opened up, have no idea how to actually get RBG color one, there doesn't seem to be any groups for it and guild doesn't do it :/ It's messed up
    I was hoping they'd change it to "win 10 battlegrounds", but since it's the "challenge" tier, they're sticking to RBGs. Weird since that fourth color isn't a challenge at all, and a person can buy a cheap KJ carry.

The RBG one will likely be the only artifact appearance/recolor that I won't acquire, since my guild doesn't PvP at all, and from past experience, pugging Rated PvP results in either being turned down flat, or getting into groups that have no chance of ever winning.
    Last edited by Gloriandus; 2017-10-06 at 02:27 PM.

I was hoping they'd change it to "win 10 battlegrounds", but since it's the "challenge" tier, they're sticking to RBGs. Weird since that fourth color isn't a challenge at all, and a person can buy a cheap KJ carry.

The RBG one will likely be the only artifact appearance/recolor that I won't acquire, since my guild doesn't PvP at all, and from past experience, pugging Rated PvP results in either being turned down flat, or getting into groups that have no chance of ever winning.
    If you play in the EU, I know that there are PVP guilds on Silvermoon, that sells boosts, for Gold and not RL money. Thats what ill do, when I have the skins for all 3 specs, and get 3 all done in one go, with a bunch of pro players, that will likely blast through the 10 RBG's in a couple of hours, with me being the odd one, that gets insta gibbed within 10 sec. of the BG starting up

Edit. I still cant figure out, why we have to do PVP in order to get a skin, since the Challenge is PVE, and so are the KJ/10 dungeons - But I guess, Blizzard wanted us to 1: Get pissed in RBG Pugs or 2: Buy the damn things ;-)
    Last edited by Svad1287; 2017-10-07 at 10:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit. I still cant figure out, why we have to do PVP in order to get a skin, since the Challenge is PVE, and so are the KJ/10 dungeons - But I guess, Blizzard wanted us to 1: Get pissed in RBG Pugs or 2: Buy the damn things ;-)
    Because it's a "challenge" to do 10 rbg's

If you play in the EU, I know that there are PVP guilds on Silvermoon, that sells boosts, for Gold and not RL money. Thats what ill do, when I have the skins for all 3 specs, and get 3 all done in one go, with a bunch of pro players, that will likely blast through the 10 RBG's in a couple of hours, with me being the odd one, that gets insta gibbed within 10 sec. of the BG starting up

The thing is, I've read horror stories about people buying RBG boosts for gold and then they get permanently banned for win trading.

So it's more than likely I won't be able to get it...
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascius View Post
    The thing is, I've read horror stories about people buying RBG boosts for gold and then they get permanently banned for win trading.

So it's more than likely I won't be able to get it...
    The Win Trading thing, mostly goes on after midnight, and into the early hours, since the chance of being pitched against the "right" team, is difficult to say the least, during normal hours. And the sellers on Silvermoon EU, boosts from afternoon and a couple of hours, for the 10 wins. They would have to hack the game or something, to be able to fight the same team 10 times in a row times x amount of boosts, or am I way out there, on this one? ;-)

The Win Trading thing, mostly goes on after midnight, and into the early hours, since the chance of being pitched against the "right" team, is difficult to say the least, during normal hours. And the sellers on Silvermoon EU, boosts from afternoon and a couple of hours, for the 10 wins. They would have to hack the game or something, to be able to fight the same team 10 times in a row times x amount of boosts, or am I way out there, on this one? ;-)
    Probably, maybe I'm just paranoid way too much because I fear even thinking about losing this account.

Edit. I still cant figure out, why we have to do PVP in order to get a skin

Lol mate it's not a big outrage that people have to get 10 rbgs wins to get an optional skin. There are 24 ashbringer skins, having one option gated behind non-easy pvp is not an issue.

The RBG one will likely be the only artifact appearance/recolor that I won't acquire, since my guild doesn't PvP...
    Not a big deal now that it's been confirmed that as long as you unlock the base Challenge skin, you can earn the other colors after Legion.
    Last edited by Gloriandus; 2017-10-13 at 03:14 PM.

Decided to try this again tonight, but in my 10 attempts in the past hour, the Runeseer's shield never breaks during Ancestral Knowledge, no matter how much DPS I do to him (I'm 930 iLvl, last attempt was 1.02 mil DPS). Mind you, this is not at 50% health or below, but right from the start.

Has anyone encountered this? AFAIK, this is not what is supposed to happen, but maybe it has changed since the challenge was first available? I wanted to inquire before I submitted it as a bug.
    Maybe its scales stupidly with gear? I did it with 900 ilvl, 36 traits and doing around 300k dps (I don't play ret - I took so long I actually got off 2 drumlust , 11.30 time or so)

If so, try unequip a piece of gear to drop to like 900 ilvl and then do it that way?

edit: oh

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe its scales stupidly with gear? I did it with 900 ilvl, 36 traits and doing around 300k dps (I don't play ret - I took so long I actually got off 2 drumlust , 11.30 time or so)

If so, try unequip a piece of gear to drop to like 900 ilvl and then do it that way?

edit: oh
    Mage Tower Challenges do not scale. I was just not interrupting the cast of Ancestral Knowledge after I'd burst the bubble. I've completed the challenge since the original post.