Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Because they do not enhance anything.

Either they still rely on your tone of voice anyway (most of them) or they are so outrageous that you get shock value, which enhances nothing and just draws attention to the fact that you used a shocking word, as opposed to in some sense strengthening your original point. In the former way, they provide nothing that you cannot do without them while still using tone. In the latter way, they detract from your case, rather than enhance it.

In other words, cursing is a bad habit that most of us have, which doesn't contribute anything. I still say fuck and shit because it's ingrained in me, but I also recognize that it's a bad habit.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Saw a study that said using curse words actively in normal speech was linked to higher intelligence.

Nothing wrong with such words when trying to emphasise your point, and just your point... But if you use it so casually in practically every sentence then that can be rather off putting trying to talk with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Saw a study that said using curse words actively in normal speech was linked to higher intelligence.
    Not directly curse words, but using larger vocabulary is.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

Lack of swearing ruined Battlefield 4 for me for a few reasons.

In Battlefield 3, your soldier would shout some hilarious call outs when under fire such as "I'm getting my shit pushed in here" which is actually pretty immersive in the heat of a firefight in the game. Battlefield 4 reduced that, and then the server mods included a profanity filter option - so every German server added it, because rules give Germans boners, so if you swear, you die and eventually kicked.

People are too fucking sensitive.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I'm not sure what the "just words" argument nonsense is, words are important - words starts wars.
    No, people start wars. Because they feel threatened or they want what someone else has that won't share/give it to them or they want to control others/things.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure you did.
    https://www.sciencealert.com/swearin...say-scientists

Sure did.

I'm not sure what the "just words" argument nonsense is, words are important - words starts wars.
    OK, explain how "Shit" is any worse to say then "poop" or "crap".

Not sure what you mean with that drivel - words come out of the mouth of people or in writing.
    Words are a tool used by people to communicate to each other. Communication, in and of itself, doesn't start wars, people do.

Lovely *dolphin noises* day we're having, isn't it?

Really it just depends on the person. I just consider them lazy, so I don't use them unless I'm too clouded by anger to think of an actual retort. Or in literal circumstances where the word actually means what it was meant for.

I really don't see how that's supposed to work. If you can come up with more complex retorts it's a pretty straightforward sign of a more level head and a higher vocabulary. It sounds like that article is saying closer to "people with higher verbal fluency who also don't have any particular taboo against swearing don't do worse purely because of the swearing part."
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-10-03 at 02:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Lovely *dolphin noises* day we're having, isn't it?

Really it just depends on the person. I just consider them lazy, so I don't use them unless I'm too clouded by anger to think of an actual retort. Or in literal circumstances where the word actually means what it was meant for.

I really don't see how that's supposed to work. If you can come up with more complex retorts it's a pretty straightforward sign of a more level head and a higher vocabulary. It sounds like that article is saying closer to "people with higher verbal fluency who also don't have any particular taboo against swearing don't do worse purely because of the swearing part."
    Lazy? More like efficient. Using some obscure word that hardly anyone knows < using a word that pretty much everyone knows the meaning of = less "what I mean is"

So yeah, piss off > *insert all the words you prefer me to use simply because you want me to waste my time and energy on YOU*

Why? Because your time and energy isn't more important then mine to me until you have proven to me it is.

/facepalm
    /sigh

Where the hell do words come from if not from people.
    "where do guns come from, if not from people?" Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Words don't start wars, people start wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    why is it considered common courtesy though? They are just words, why is saying shit worse then saying poop or crap?
    It's a social construct inherited from tradition, mostly, as to why some words are considered worse than others.

All that study really says is that people that know more words also know more swear words.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quit hanging around such people, problem solved, nothing of value can be gained from interaction with them.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    I try and be mindful of my environment.
    I do like to cuss but not as much as my current wife or ex. They cuss so damn much that they interject curses between syllables...and I am talking about a majority of the words in a sentence. I am not offended but it is awkward in public or around the kids. I'll say this, it has actually turned my kids off to cussing and makes them uncomfortable. BUT, should they ever find the reason to cuss, they are sure to be quite versed.

For myself though, there are some words I am quite fond of and use more frequently like:
    1. Slapnuts (my favorite and basically means jackass)
    2. Fucktard
    3. Dipshit
    4. Ass-goblin (drivers that follow to close)
    5. Fuck - this goes without saying and is used by most who cuss of course.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Deleted
    I avoid people tat are still so prissy about swearing

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty partial to the word "cunt", it's a pretty 10/10 curse word I think.

Please tell me someone has posted this...

I haven't watched spongebob in like 5 years with my daughter but I immediately thought of this episode.