Poll: What nerf would you prefer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb What if they Nerfed Flying?

There's a very adamant group of people that want to be able to expedite content with flying early in an expansions launch. They have valid concerns.

Then there's a whole other group of people that hate flying, think it ruins world content, and makes traveling monotonous. They have valid concerns.

Then, when 7.1-7.2 hit a lot of people went "Blizz its been long enough I've done everything, give me flying". Makes a lot of sense to me too.

Then I realized, it's because ground content isn't engaging after a certain point, and flying is too powerful and separated from any other form of content to be gameplay.

So, what if Blizzard just nerfed flying? Where instead of a 310% speed boost in every direction that takes off immediately with a 1 sec cast time it's something that starts small initially, but slowly develops over time?

With that in mind, my question is this:
    Is there any redesign, system, mechanic, or reward that would make you ok with this?

Some examples:

• A mount "Progression System" wherein you slowly increase the speed of ground mounts and eventually a limited flying-like mount.
    • Allow flying, but only if you "take off" at specific runway points, allowing you to slowly float down to your required destination.
    • A GW2 system where you get different types of mounts with special abilities like jumping high or gliding.
    • Allow flying, but it requires currency (pixy dust) to use.

• A glider that slowly gets more powerful throughout the expansion, by the end essentially allowing a limited form of flight.
    • Better, more robust world content that actually gives you a reason to be on the ground.
    • Having one specific zone be designed with flying in mind from the start and make it part of the gameplay in the said zone, but only there.

I personally would like to see some form of limited flying become an actual gameplay mechanic and be used to design really interesting 360 zone content. The problem is, in its current state, flying is too powerful to be anything but a weird version of noclip that feels like cheating.

I'm very curious to hear what would convince you guys, considering I feel like some players are only hooked on WoW's rewards, and not the actual act of playing the game, which, to be honest, means you should really, like Ion said, either stop playing or take a break.

Oh, and please keep it civil. Thanks
    Last edited by Starry Sidekick; 2017-10-06 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Changed beginning to be less accusatory.

Oh look, a thread about flying. How original.

what if u had an idea actually worth posting?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for doing anything to nerf flying and more importantly, completely remove flying from the game if possible. But Blizzard isn't going to do that. They have made it clear that pathfinder is the way forward, and im on board with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbrex View Post
    An idea as original as stirring the flying pot some more? That is a hypothetical so impossible it's not even worth considering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Current system of unlocking flying through achievements is the best of both worlds. The only reason the discussion keeps going is that enough people adamantly refuses to concede that flying is godmode of world content. Then they point out that world mobs or elites aren't dangerous so might as well fly over them. Then why not advocate making mobs dangerous so they feel relevant again? Endlessly making content easier and easier and players more and more powerful doesn't automatically create better gameplay just because you net gain in power increases.

But no, the unrelenting pro-flyers doesn't really take game design into account, its nothing but player efficiently and absolutely no thought given to if it's fun to be able to fly over everything. Not very different from people being outraged when they didn't release AK50 when the current AP system would make AK50 into capping weapons in 2 hours then nothing but Concordance. People are shortsighted morons.

JUST removing flying doesn't solve the problem of world content, because world content is now designed around the minimum ilvl mouthbreather. It's designed to be guaranteed success just like the rest of all non-raid content. I want flying removed from the game because I think the ability to fly detracts from the immersion of a large, breathing and dangerous game world. Problem is that Blizzard no longer designs the world to be a threat to you.

Fix that, and you fix flying. Because right now, people want flying mostly because it allows you to fly over content that NEVER engages your brain. That isn't very surprising. It's also part of the reason why people despise leveling, as leveling is a 72 hour tour of two-shotting mobs and killing dungeon bosses in 8 seconds.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2017-10-06 at 06:24 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

The OPs avatar looks like he has over sized eyeballs and is looking at something on his right. I think they are supposed to be sunglasses, but they look... a bit off.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrex View Post
    Ouch. That hurts.

5+ Year Old Account
    I like idea of specific runway points where you could mount up on your flying mount. That way, you'd have to gamble with 'is it quicker to get to my next quest/destination by ground mount, or should i go to the runway point and fly there?'
    So it would entail more decision making i think.

Or just 1 zone were flying is allowed (you could build this one to be lots of fun. lots of dangerous mobs/difficult terrain, like a volcano that knocks people out of the air if you happen to be flying over it when it goes off... go all out.)

But itd be a rocky transition if we went down that route. I think itd be fun tho

Deleted
    are your other 34 posts as interesting as this one?

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer eccles View Post
    Ouch. That hurts.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have been stalking these forums for a long, long time. I will only post if I feel I have some sort of an idea that's worth peoples time. My other posts are mostly idea stuff too.

5+ Year Old Account
    why are ppl so bitchy today, lol.. come up with a better post ppl or gtfo

Quote Originally Posted by Duckypoo View Post
    The OPs avatar looks like he has over sized eyeballs and is looking at something on his right. I think they are supposed to be sunglasses, but they look... a bit off.
    It's DB Cooper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by btlcryct View Post
    LOL! Well played!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by btlcryct View Post
    I believe he's talking about mine. It's just Link with sunglasses on.
    Last edited by Starry Sidekick; 2017-10-06 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Did that joke just go over my head?

They should add no-flying realms to the already available options. The anti-flying crowd would finally shut up and we'd all be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbleton View Post
    I believe he's talking about mine. It's just Link with sunglasses on.

Yup, that one went over your head... way over. You'll have to board a flight to catch up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mingarrubia View Post
    They should add no-flying realms to the already available options. The anti-flying crowd would finally shut up and we'd all be happy.
    I don't think anyone would voluntarily shirk the ability to fly if given the in-game choice like that. The content has to be designed with specifically one or the other in mind. The no-flying crowd isn't asking for less convenience, just more focused gameplay.

I always wanted mounts with wings to glide...