View Poll Results: Should action be taken to combat street harassment?

Voters
28. This poll is closed
  • Yes. I like this strategy.

8 28.57%
  • Yes, but this is not the way.

8 28.57%
  • No. It's fine as is.

12 42.86%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Once a friend of mine in the summer told a girl - as we drove by - "You're absolutely gorgeous. Don't you ever stop!"
    She blushed, smiled and laughed and everyone was happy. Everybody went on their own business.

I once asked a sad looking girl who was moving in my direction "How could someone so beautiful look so sad? Cheer up!".
    I got a smile off her and moved along, happy that maybe I raised her spirits for the day.

In hindsight, I am so relieved no one took selfies!

All this anti-catcalling movement represents is a mentality based on hate.
    Catcalling is supposed to be bold flattery.
    People want to "attack" this by trying to generalize it as "harmful" and "abusive".
    People waste time of their lives to try and somehow "hurt" whoever "catcalls" them.

All this will accomplish is more social awkwardness.

Maybe I should start a movement to implement laws that criminalize girls that attack my eyes with their ugly haircuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    So can they now sue for defamation? Shes making a claim against their character with no evidence to back it up.
    I hope so.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2017-10-10 at 01:56 AM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

So many Nice Guys here. So many of them so upset. Or, just another day in GenOT.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    When I took the subway in Boston I don't recall ever seeing any person bother anyone. And there were plenty of college-aged people.
    It's actually kind of funny. In my 40+ years, most of the cat-calling I've seen was done by women. Hell, even with my dad-bod I still get cat-called by women every time I'm flagging traffic on the highway. When I was on a construction crew, we couldn't go 2 hours without women hollering or even just standing there watching us work, giggling back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    Maybe I should start a movement to implement laws that criminalize girls that attack my eyes with their ugly haircuts.
    Better yet, if women need to be "protected" due to their "fragile and delicate" nature, maybe men need to have our virility protected from femininity. I'm not worried, though. I typically don't give most women a second glance. Granted, it generally makes them more aggressive but for the most part, I'd rather not bother with the drama. As science progresses and more options for men in regards to sexuality and birth control become available, these whining women will be left to fend and fuck themselves.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-10-10 at 02:10 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    It's more that men have less issue with being hit on. Not to mention women get catcalled alot more than men do. So naturally they have more issue with it.
    Feel free to source that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Are you being serious? This it literally common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    So instead of telling them to go away, like a sane person, she gives them the attention they are clearly wanting, then mocks them behind their backs.
    This. And because there are only pictures we have no idea if the people actually said or did anything offensive / out of line (I'm sure some did but the point still stands).

It's common knowledge.
    Last edited by Bapestar; 2017-10-10 at 03:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's common knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Are you being serious? This it literally common knowledge.
    They you should have no problem showing evidence, right? Even "common knowledge" needs to be sourced, this is common university practice.

They you should have no problem showing evidence, right? Even "common knowledge" needs to be sourced, this is common university practice.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.ba62c05b5943

I don't know why you needed a source...
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Hahaha, are you for real?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Hahaha, are you for real?

Thanks, I've requested the questions and methodology. Seems that there is a disproportionate amount of this street harassment by poor people of color according to the report (41% vs 24%), so I'm guessing they need to do more thorough studies (they admit that the study was less than ideal). It's been three years so let's hope they don't wait too long.

7+ Year Old Account

Not questioning the ratios, but that site's source is pretty fucking cringe-worthy. "Harassment" refers to repetition and persistence. A single whistle, etc, is literally (and legally) not harassment. And if they're really trying to claim that words are "gender violence", or "a human rights violation", they need to read a book or two. I suggest starting with a dictionary.

There's no doubt that the physical aspect of this needs to be addressed. Groping, etc, is a form of sexual assault and it's already covered by law. As is stalking and actual harassment. But "sexual harassment", as it pertains to crude language, etc, at least in the US, is limited to workplace and similar environments. You have no right, whatsoever, to not be offended. If someone decides to be a cunt and say something that offends you or even is down right repulsive, tough shit. It's not the role of government to protect feelings.

Is it just me or is the picture not actually "horrifying"?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love women to cat call me... And to be honest I tink I have had that once or twise lol.

I wouldn't cat call a lady though, I am too insecure :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

It's more that men have less issue with being hit on. Not to mention women get catcalled alot more than men do. So naturally they have more issue with it.
    Apparently black/hispanic men do catcalling a lot more than Asian or white men do. What do you think of that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Is it just me or is the picture not actually "horrifying"?
    Huh. It's about exposing the street harassers not taking a horrifying photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Huh. It's about exposing the street harassers not taking a horrifying photo.
    The first line - actually the title itself - of the article was to portray it as "horrifying". I'm pretty disappointed.

Is there any proof those guys harassed her? I mean I could take a picture with Tennisace and claim I was taking a picture with someone I caught trying to molest a donkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Apparently black/hispanic men do catcalling a lot more than Asian or white men do. What do you think of that?
    Nothing, because men of all ethnicities are capable of catcalling.