Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Calling an idiot on their idiocy is not toxicity. Proclaiming the idiocy was all a joke to begin with and that I'm the one really being toxic, classic.
    Oh really. Looks like all this conversation has been is you trying to explain someone as an idiot and justifying it. Toxic as fuck. Its all you are. Just when its about you there is an excuse. When its about others its a problem. Ironic.

  2. #42
    Disable any and all chatting features. Won't happen and is counter productive to quality games where you need teamwork but that should solve it lol

  3. #43
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Oh really. Looks like all this conversation has been is you trying to explain someone as an idiot and justifying it. Toxic as fuck. Its all you are. Just when its about you there is an excuse. When its about others its a problem. Ironic.
    I called you on why you're wrong, you can't accept that and start pretending it was a joke and start insulting me, yet I'm the problem? You're exactly what's toxic as fuck here, fucking idiot. I got baited by a fucking troll but never mind, I can afford that infraction. It'll only be my second, ever. Yet I'm toxic.

    Infracted
    Last edited by xChurch; 2017-10-16 at 05:07 PM.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I called you on why you're wrong, you can't accept that and start pretending it was a joke and start insulting me, yet I'm the problem? You're exactly what's toxic as fuck here, fucking idiot. I got baited by a fucking troll but never mind, I can afford that infraction. It'll only be my second, ever. Yet I'm toxic.
    I have never seen such a toxic reaction. I mean seriously.

  5. #45
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I have never seen such a toxic reaction. I mean seriously.
    You must live a sheltered life. You got what you wanted, jog on.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    You must live a sheltered life. You got what you wanted, jog on.
    All I want is to remove some of the toxic behaviors but I mean it appears the people behind that desire have no holds to use toxic behavior when it suits them. I mean that is a really good example of why this game is so toxic. Because it's community sees toxic behavior as justified when it's on their behalf. Then just a disagreement become a target as toxic for no reason. But warrants a full toxic nuclear return attack. You laid it all out so perfectly.

  7. #47
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    All I want is to remove some of the toxic behaviors but I mean it appears the people behind that desire have no holds to use toxic behavior when it suits them. I mean that is a really good example of why this game is so toxic. Because it's community sees toxic behavior as justified when it's on their behalf. Then just a disagreement become a target as toxic for no reason. But warrants a full toxic nuclear return attack. You laid it all out so perfectly.
    You called me toxic for explaining why your idea was dumb. You could have accepted that and moved on, instead you chose to escalate it by throwing insults around and pretending it was joke to save face.

    You're what's wrong, you're what's toxic if you can't just accept that 'hey, maybe it is a bad idea'. I know damn well going sweary on it is toxic, but it's the only thing you listened to.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    You called me toxic for explaining why your idea was dumb. You could have accepted that and moved on, instead you chose to escalate it by throwing insults around and pretending it was joke to save face.

    You're what's wrong, you're what's toxic if you can't just accept that 'hey, maybe it is a bad idea'. I know damn well going sweary on it is toxic, but it's the only thing you listened to.
    God so toxic.

    Infracted
    Last edited by xChurch; 2017-10-16 at 05:07 PM.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by RoutinelyWorgen View Post
    Why post this on MMOC rather than the official forums or Reddit, you might be asking.

    Well as it stands, MMOC has an arguably more constructive user-base than the two aforementioned sites and the fact that it is is also the reason for making this thread to begin with.

    So here's a small but not small question, what ways would be most effective at combating toxicity within Overwatch's community?
    Balancing the game and making it not rock paper scissor would be a good start.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Toxicity is not the problem.

    The problem is what CAUSES it. And it's fair to say that bad players in competitive is the reason for almost all of the toxicity of Overwatch.

    Solutions would be like:

    - Require level 100 instead of 25 to enter Competitive, as hopefully you have a slight more gamesense.
    - Some kind of proving grounds for a hero. A solo scenario that is HARD so that you truly learn a hero. Before you complete like 50% of all heroes scenarios, you can't go competitive.
    - More value on personal performance. If someone is performing terribly, by having low damage, healer, or objective time, they suffer more rating loss while the people performing better lose less rating, meaning less need for toxicity, as you wont be so hurt ratingwise by a loss.

    Toxicity is understandable,

    and if you disagree on that statement, you have never met people who troll, play like Torbjörn on attack or simply have 0 teamplay or communication.
    Playing Torbjorn on attack isn't trolling though. Have you ever seen a Torbjorn on a push the payload map? They can set their turret on the payload and have a tank protect it. It works wonders, and is fair game and good strategy if pulled off.

    This annoys me more than anything when people automatically think a person is throwing or trolling if they pick a character they don't like for offense or defense.

  11. #51
    Moderator xChurch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The darkest corner with the best view.
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Playing Torbjorn on attack isn't trolling though. Have you ever seen a Torbjorn on a push the payload map? They can set their turret on the payload and have a tank protect it. It works wonders, and is fair game and good strategy if pulled off.

    This annoys me more than anything when people automatically think a person is throwing or trolling if they pick a character they don't like for offense or defense.
    It's not so much about X or Y character sucking in general but rather people not switching when they get hard countered. Torb as an example almost relies on the enemy teams skill as much has the person playing him. You could be a pro at him but if your turret is constantly getting taken out fast it really won't matter much.
    Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - Carl Sagan

    False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness. - Charles Darwin

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    It's not so much about X or Y character sucking in general but rather people not switching when they get hard countered. Torb as an example almost relies on the enemy teams skill as much has the person playing him. You could be a pro at him but if your turret is constantly getting taken out fast it really won't matter much.
    I agree, but at the same time, just simply picking a Torb at the beginning of the match is not "throwing." Sure, if you get hard countered and just cant get that turret up in a decent location and gain some headway, then by all means, switch to a different character.

    I've seen some god-like Torbs who can even use their little sniper gun majestically.

  13. #53
    Stop it from being a video game.

    More seriously, random people found in a game will be random, and among them there will be trolls and asshats. Playing with people you like is the best way to avoid this.

    If someone is obnoxious, mute and report. Don't reply, it basically never helps.

  14. #54
    Stood in the Fire Elfezen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Stop it from being a video game.

    More seriously, random people found in a game will be random, and among them there will be trolls and asshats. Playing with people you like is the best way to avoid this.

    If someone is obnoxious, mute and report. Don't reply, it basically never helps.
    The toxicity comes from PVP, not from videogames in general. PVP is the source of toxicity in any type of game and activity. If you want to avoid it play agianst bots.

  15. #55
    Be nice, with your and enemy team. Start a game with /hi all! good luck and have fun! And when a game ends, even if you lose (unless you get steamrolled, in this case better say nothing), type /nice game! was a close one!

    It's funny (in a good way) to see reaction both of your and enemy team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    Life hack: Unsub for 6 months and come back when you think the game is fun again.

  16. #56
    It's really on the people to not actually respond to the trolls. If any and all aggressive messages were simply meant with the single response: "Reported". Blizz or the trolls will eventually get the clue. Then they realize their toxicity isn't actually bothering you, but rather giving you a reason to laugh at them.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Playing Torbjorn on attack isn't trolling though. Have you ever seen a Torbjorn on a push the payload map? They can set their turret on the payload and have a tank protect it. It works wonders, and is fair game and good strategy if pulled off.

    This annoys me more than anything when people automatically think a person is throwing or trolling if they pick a character they don't like for offense or defense.
    Well, your tactic CAN work, but it can also fail miserably.

    And face it, litterally 99 of 100 Torbjörns, Hanzos, Widows etc ARE terrible. The few that are good are so rare that you can only assume whoever pick those heroes are bad. Especially if you play like Gold, Platinum or Diamond like most players do. At 4k rating, then a Torbjörn wouldn't scare me that much. But HOW good can a 2000 rated Torbjörn be?

    - - - Updated - - -

    [QUOTE=Jalatiphra;47606224]
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    That is the main problem with the game.

    Yes, it's nice to help and coach players BUT

    People who NEED coaching and help DO NOT BELONG IN COMPETITIVE and they should not be ALLOWED to queue for it.


    - - - Updated - - -


    That is not correct.

    Competitive only means you get a "grade" for your play.
    Nothing else.
    There is a place for everyone on the scala. If you're bad and you need mentoring/help . you will just be lower in ranking than the player who doesnt.

    Thats what ranking is about. finding out where you are against the rest.
    If you get put into bronze. ... maybe there is a lot to learn for you left. but that doesnt mean you cant play rankend.

    What makes games toxic are people who think are the pinnacle of overwatch but don't look onto themselves first when something goes wrong.
    The system is broken though, and good players who solo queue are put in lower ranks than bad people who have a premade. If you solo queue you lost a lot more than you win. Mostly due to these bad players.

  18. #58
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Toxicity is not the problem.

    The problem is what CAUSES it. And it's fair to say that bad players in competitive is the reason for almost all of the toxicity of Overwatch.

    Solutions would be like:

    - Require level 100 instead of 25 to enter Competitive, as hopefully you have a slight more gamesense.
    - Some kind of proving grounds for a hero. A solo scenario that is HARD so that you truly learn a hero. Before you complete like 50% of all heroes scenarios, you can't go competitive.
    - More value on personal performance. If someone is performing terribly, by having low damage, healer, or objective time, they suffer more rating loss while the people performing better lose less rating, meaning less need for toxicity, as you wont be so hurt ratingwise by a loss.

    Toxicity is understandable,

    and if you disagree on that statement, you have never met people who troll, play like Torbjörn on attack or simply have 0 teamplay or communication.
    No. Just no.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Toxicity is not the problem.

    The problem is what CAUSES it. And it's fair to say that bad players in competitive is the reason for almost all of the toxicity of Overwatch.

    Solutions would be like:

    - Require level 100 instead of 25 to enter Competitive, as hopefully you have a slight more gamesense.
    - Some kind of proving grounds for a hero. A solo scenario that is HARD so that you truly learn a hero. Before you complete like 50% of all heroes scenarios, you can't go competitive.
    - More value on personal performance. If someone is performing terribly, by having low damage, healer, or objective time, they suffer more rating loss while the people performing better lose less rating, meaning less need for toxicity, as you wont be so hurt ratingwise by a loss.

    Toxicity is understandable,

    and if you disagree on that statement, you have never met people who troll, play like Torbjörn on attack or simply have 0 teamplay or communication.
    Not to rain on your parade. While it's been awhile since I've played, I can tell you it's no better at higher ranks. I've played at GM level and all the ranks below (in one way or another). I'd say the higher ranks are probably a tad worse.

  20. #60
    Last night I had a remarkable match,

    We were steamrolling A) point on ToA, team-kill, capped it in seconds.
    Moving on to point B) suddenly 4 players decide to stop outside gate..

    I say something like "move in before their set up their defenses" - pretty neutral and just suggestive.
    Then some low-level starts "SHUT UP !! Dont tell me what to do !!!"

    I just go "Err sorry, just saying its a good time to move in"
    He just goes "FKIN KID -I TOLD YOU TO SHUT THE F UP !!!!!!"

    I point politely out "When you get to a certain age, you understand that only kids use kid as an insult"
    Needless to say he went of his hinges then... and we lost the match thanks to him and his friends just roleplaying between the points from there on.

    I know why Blizzard removed the "avoid this player" option, but they could have achieved their goal by having it work only for who you get teamed with.
    (People used it to Q dodge opponents)

    This option was the only real effective tool a player had to improve who you got teamed up with (to battle toxic players).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •