Thread: Going wireless.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Question Going wireless.

I have been contemplating going wireless for some time. I have some ideas on what to use but I wanted to see what you all use.

As most of you know, the main game I play is WoW, some steam games that do not demand much. My son comes up for work every other week and stays a few days and plays on another PC in the spare bedroom.

My home office has 3 PCs in there as well as a Imac 27" for productivity.

TLDR: What wireless router and adapters do you use, or recommend. I want to get all these wires out of my house!

On that note, any thoughts on wireless keyboards, mice that dont have much input lag and wireless headphones.

Don't recommend going wireless. If you care about latency then cables are still your best friend, same with keyboards and mice, but I use wireless headset and it is good (corsair void).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing wrong with wireless these days. Nay-sayers will try to convince you of latency issues etc. However at this point that is balderdash. The newer logitech wireless mice has the exact same latency as their wired brethren. As for the keyboards you might have some issues with 5 or more inputs at the same time, but that has more to do with a lack of wireless gaming keyboards will rollover etc. I just found out that logitech will offer a wireless gaming keyboard shortly though.

The only concern with wireless products is battery life, it really sucks running out of power mid session. Most products allow you to plug a cable into them and keep going wired for a while though so its not a big deal.

"But thanks to advances in wireless technology, many wireless mice now claim 1ms – basically instantaneous – connections, including the Logitech G900 and Razer Mamba (2015).

As such, it’s not really fair to ward users off wireless mice anymore, at least because of latency anyway. In fact, Cloud9’s CounterStrike: Global Offensive team is using the wireless Logitech G900 in tournaments, which speaks to its speed.

But there are also other things to consider. Wireless mice tend to be heavier, due to the onboard battery. But then they’re good because you don’t have cables getting in the way."

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/guide/...OKb2tYZCK5B.99

I can only attest to the Logitech wireless mice though. I have tested the g900, g602, and g403.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wireless is fine, there won't be any real difference battery thing aside.

Yes, wired is better, but the gap is so small that you won't even feel it, unless you are one of those forum guys who claim to perceive 200FPS and single digit millisecond differences.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddiee View Post

I can only attest to the Logitech wireless mice though. I have tested the g900, g602, and g403.
    How did you like the G900 and 602?

Right now I am currently eyeing the Asus AC1900 adapters and the TP Link AC1900 Access Point to install on my hallway ceiling in between the rooms. However, the AC1200 devices are cheaper and my download on home network is only 100 and the Office network is 75

Also, like suggested so far looking at Logitech wireless KB and Mice for my gaming machine, for office I think I will just use the basic MS ones. Nothing fancy needed there.

Deleted
    The thing with wireless ist that it really depends on the location, since the radio waves are a shared medium.

If your system is the only one in range the connection is going to be almost as good as over a wire, however the more other wireless networks (and noise sources) are around the less reliable things will get: higher latencies, lag spikes and packet loss.

There are phone apps that will show you all WIFI networks in range to give you an idea how congested those frequencies are.

Now most stuff (streaming, netflix, etc.) will work fine even in those conditions as it is buffered anyway, but if you absolutely want no lag spikes in your games then you should think twice about going wireless in a "noisy" environment.

The new 5Ghz band may be less busy - at least for now, plus it offers more non-overlapping channels - the downside is that it offers less range/penetration (through objects) than the 2,4 GHz.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2017-10-13 at 11:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im thinking about these for my keyboard and mouse, anyone by chance have the keyboard and comment on it?

Keyboard

Mouse

As far as wireless internet, I simply do not recommend it. In situations where I have been forced to use it, it would cause issues sometimes.

For wireless mouse and keyboard, the only real big problem I have with those is batteries dying at inopportune moments. Other than that, they really are just fine.

Go for it.

Invest in some proper network gear and you are golden. A couple of years ago I bought an Asus RT AC87U router and the Asus PCE AC68 adapter for my computer to manage my 500/500 MB/s fiber.

I haven't experienced any problems at all for +3 years. The router is managing 3 x smartphones, 1 x Windows laptop, 1 x Macbook Air, 1 x wireless printer and a Apple TV4. Flawlessly.
    And Asus is still kind enough to develop updated firmware for the router from time to time.

There isn't a single game my wireless network can't handle at proper pings while my wife and kids are using streaming services (movies, music etc.)

Companies like D-LINK and Linksys also make high-end consumer network gear, all basiscly with the same bells and whistles.
    Last edited by jegerlee; 2017-10-13 at 06:48 PM.
    Does anyone else find it ironic that, as your virtual character gains experience, wealth and social stature, your reality character is losing the exact same things at the same rate?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    As far as wireless internet, I simply do not recommend it. In situations where I have been forced to use it, it would cause issues sometimes.
    I had that problem as well but it was a few years back.

My buddy, who I just built a rig for has fiber and the Asus AC 1900 router, wifi and 2 waps in his house and he says he never has any issues so thats why I am going to give it a whirl.

I really am tired of all these cables. Time to get with the times.

I ordered the Logitech 603 and 613 KB and mouse, I didn't spring for the AC1900 gear yet. Since my downloads arent as fast as his I think I am going to just do the AC1200 Router, WAP and Net cards as the way my house is setup and the wap being in the hall I should be able to run everything at 5GHz. I dont plan on upgrading my internet anytime, Im getting old and dont game as much since passing the 50 mark. Just some WoW, SC2 and GTA V is all I can find time for and it is very sporadic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jegerlee View Post
    Go for it.

Invest in some proper network gear and you are golden. A couple of years ago I bought an Asus RT AC87U router and the Asus PCE AC68 adapter for my computer to manage my 500/500 MB/s fiber.

I haven't experienced any problems at all for +3 years. The router is managing 3 x smartphones, 1 x Windows laptop, 1 x Macbook Air, 1 x wireless printer and a Apple TV4. Flawlessly.
    And Asus is still kind enough to develop updated firmware for the router from time to time.

There isn't a single game my wireless network can't handle at proper pings while my wife and kids are using streaming services (movies, music etc.)

Companies like D-LINK and Linksys also make high-end consumer network gear, all basiscly with the same bells and whistles.
    Thats some expensive shite

Installing in 4 pcs and a wap and router would be a little too much at $800+ My wife would beat me to death with a axe handle.

My only experience with wireless equipment is the Logitech g930 headset. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. From the get-go it would disconnect and reconnect every 15-20 minutes even though I was right next to my pc, so I was without audio for 5-10 seconds each time. It doesn't sound like alot but in the heat of the moment in a competitive game, it was unbearable.

Returned it 2 days after I bought it.

Installing in 4 pcs and a wap and router would be a little too much at $800+ My wife would beat me to death with a axe handle.
    That's why you wait until she is out of town!
    Last edited by Acelius; 2017-10-14 at 09:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post

That's why you wait until she is out of town!
    Well, I tried my own advice and flipped a coin, watched it fall to the ground, and guess what side it landed on.......

It landed on the axe handle

I wanna see pics of your wires. I can't imagine you having real issues.

I mean, wireless keyboards and mice are one thing, but internet?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I wanna see pics of your wires. I can't imagine you having real issues.

I mean, wireless keyboards and mice are one thing, but internet?
    I dont have alot of "wires" hanging everywhere. But for example. I had 2 desks in my office, I needed more space for filing cabinets, so I moved one desk out and wanted to move my desk to where it was, problem, RJ wallplate is behind where my desk was, so I have a Cat 5 cable running around my wall to the wall to where my desk is.

The other day I was thinking of moving it to the middle of the room, but....cables would be showing as my desk would now be facing the door and tghe back of my tower would be as well. I cant eliminate them all, but no usb, ethernet would be nice, all I would need is power, and I have that figured out.

this is my desk, its not on this side of the room anymore, its on the opposite side, so basically reversed.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing wrong with wireless these days. Nay-sayers will try to convince you of latency issues etc. However at this point that is balderdash. The newer logitech wireless mice has the exact same latency as their wired brethren. As for the keyboards you might have some issues with 5 or more inputs at the same time, but that has more to do with a lack of wireless gaming keyboards will rollover etc. I just found out that logitech will offer a wireless gaming keyboard shortly though.

The only concern with wireless products is battery life, it really sucks running out of power mid session. Most products allow you to plug a cable into them and keep going wired for a while though so its not a big deal.

"But thanks to advances in wireless technology, many wireless mice now claim 1ms – basically instantaneous – connections, including the Logitech G900 and Razer Mamba (2015).

As such, it’s not really fair to ward users off wireless mice anymore, at least because of latency anyway. In fact, Cloud9’s CounterStrike: Global Offensive team is using the wireless Logitech G900 in tournaments, which speaks to its speed.

But there are also other things to consider. Wireless mice tend to be heavier, due to the onboard battery. But then they’re good because you don’t have cables getting in the way."

He was mostly talking about WiFi-type wireless... so your point is sort of moot. Nice try.
    @moremana, wireless for mice and keyboards is fine, but you have to understand interruptions can and likely will happen and I would personally suggest replacing the batteries once they're down to like 20%~ power. You wouldn't want to be trying to squeeze every last bit of battery power out during raid night, now would you? Also, are you ready to pay for batteries a lot, if you go for one that uses replaceable batteries? Could get expensive.

Now obviously, there's the charging versions of mice and those are great, but still, you'll have to be sure to keep it charged. Try looking for ones whose batteries can go for 12~ hours uninterrupted, uncharged.

As far as going actually WiFi? I'm pretty damned opposed, personally. WiFi has quite a few more interruptions and the like, plus it only adds lag. I would say you could TRY it, and do so during busy hours in your house, like when others around are using the internet heavily, and see how it is. Would you be happy playing in these conditions? If so, then I guess, you could go forward with delving more into the WiFi world!

As for router and WiFi router? Linksys is never a bad bet. Nor is Netgear.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

VicTsing MM057 2.4G is very cheap wireless mic but have great performance. .Its design is very unique and weight is 3.5 oz to make user very comfortable. This wireless gaming mouse offer 6 buttons and its DPI is maximum 2400.
    My favorite is Logitech. Logitech 602 is i am currently using and all other Logitech wireless device has well performance too.

I will add this one too https://10hightech.com/best-gaming-mouse/

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    I have been contemplating going wireless for some time. I have some ideas on what to use but I wanted to see what you all use.

As most of you know, the main game I play is WoW, some steam games that do not demand much. My son comes up for work every other week and stays a few days and plays on another PC in the spare bedroom.

My home office has 3 PCs in there as well as a Imac 27" for productivity.

TLDR: What wireless router and adapters do you use, or recommend. I want to get all these wires out of my house!

On that note, any thoughts on wireless keyboards, mice that dont have much input lag and wireless headphones.
    If you are competing in GSL or something like that professionally you might not want to. If you are an average to above average player that just enjoys video games it won't matter all that much.

also wouldn't recommend wireless internet, i always had problems with disconnects etc...wireless mice are nice though

Manufacturer claims and real world performance don’t often go hand in hand. I’d never use a wireless mouse or keyboard. They aren’t going to be as good as a wired setup and who wants to go through batteries every week without switching to some low power, battery saver mode that defeats the purpose of having a high performance gaming mouse?

As for wireless headphones...no thanks. If you care about audio quality at all then stereo is the way to go. All the simulated 7.1 nonsense can’t compete with a true analog headphone. Get a headset with a detachable cord - problem solved.

Edit: Since I’ve been too lazy to wire in some Ethernet lines in my house I’ve just used the wireless on my R7000 router. Zero issues. Works for some and not others I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.