Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Legion: Best expansion of ANY mmo?

I have to admit, ive been having a ton of fun in this expansion, and the only other expansion in WoW's history that has come close to keeping my attention on the game as well as Legion has is TBC. That being said, I think there can be made a good argument for Legion being one of the best expansions of ANY mmo out there on the market.

Things that keep me playing:

• Replayability - Tons of stuff to do, and even more if you have alts
    • Gameplay - Blizzard was spot on with the gameplay of the expansion from a mechanics perspective
    • Fun, yet challenging - The game strikes a perfect balance between being too easy, and challenging. Several of the outdoor areas can be challenging without decent gear
    • Outdoor PvP - Love the world quest outdoor PvP areas. Especially the Blackrook arena and bearback brawl in Stormheim
    • Raids - Some of the best the game has ever seen
    • Lore - Story has been superb and its tied very well this expansion
    • Dungeons - Mythic+, what more needs to be said?

Overall I rate Legion 9.9/10 and A++. I'm excited for what Blizzard has in store after Legion as well.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whilst I feel the reaction from these boards may not be the positive, I would have to say it is one of the best, if not the best, expansions I've seen for an MMO, when you look at it holistically and in-context (where most people who dislike stuff tend hyper-focus on some pea-in-the-bed issues and act like they were pee-in-the-bed issues).

There are issues, there's stuff that can be improved but I feel like all-round? It's pretty much the best.

Most importantly, for me, it feels like most of the changes from WoD (and to some extent MoP etc.) mean Legion is more in the spirit of WoW than any other post-Cata expansion. I feels more WoW to me than those, having played since beta (obviously for someone who started in Cata or later things may seem different).

This is honestly why I'm so excited about the upcoming expansion. If they can just improve on this, and not make any CRAZY DECISIONS, just steady incremental improvement, then we're golden. Of course, this is Blizzard and god love 'em, they do like those crazy decisions...

I don't really agree re: outdoor PvP though - those areas just seem to have no PvP in them (just people carefully questing), and I feel like PvP in general is a bit of a mess in Legion (but it has been ever since Blizzard decided to push towards e-sports rather than pushing towards fun part-time activity).
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2017-10-14 at 04:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not even close to WoW's best expansion. So especially not all of them either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

A lot of things done right, but also a lot of things just straight out fucked up more than ever. The pure RNG of loot has never been more insane, with retarded amounts of titanforged/warforged/whatever, and bullshit legendaries, where especially at the start of the expansion, you may as well reroll if you did not get the right one, or be doomed for mediocrity.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Outside of WoD and maybe cata, it's garbage compared to the other expansions.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bc exists still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not even the best WoW expansion, so no.

I'm enjoying FFXIV: Stormblood more than I enjoyed Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck no it wasnt.
    [*]Replayability - Tons of stuff to do, and even more if you have alts.
    I'd give you this one, maybe, if the class design wasn't such a mess... Replayablility of content doesnt matter much if the classes we traverse that content with are super boring and one dimensional.

[*]Gameplay - Blizzard was spot on with the gameplay of the expansion from a mechanics perspective
    you mean the every boss is a soak mechanic expansion? Eh.

Also, again, class design is a hot mess.
    [*]Fun, yet challenging - The game strikes a perfect balance between being too easy, and challenging. Several of the outdoor areas can be challenging without decent gear
    but that "decent gear" is gotten in 20 minutes and then everything is easymode.

[*]Outdoor PvP - Love the world quest outdoor PvP areas. Especially the Blackrook arena and bearback brawl in Stormheim
    outdoor PvP is more of a mess than it has ever been... The game's current method of PvP balance is completely non-functional in the game world, how anyone could enjoy this is beyond me.

[*]Raids - Some of the best the game has ever seen
    I seem to have covered this already.

[*]Lore - Story has been superb and its tied very well this expansion
    very bad writing and Illidan being a giant fucking hypocritical asshole are the only reason half this shit is "tied together".

[*]Dungeons - Mythic+, what more needs to be said?
    I'll give you that one.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-10-14 at 05:26 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I think I can sum up most of the replies to this one:

1. I dont like it, thus it isnt good, because well.. me!

2. I like it so it is the best, because well.. me!

Meh. It was the best. Though, that doesn't make it good. None of the Expansions were good.

TBC Was just Nostalgia, but it was shittier than MoP.

Wrath was over-hyped. As shit as Cata.

Cata is above WoD in terms of how good it was. But, that's only because Cata had an ending.

MoP makes me want to facepalm my way to the Twisting Nether.

And WoD isn't an Expansion. It's a Mega-Patch.

Legion is not good, either. But, it has good things to it:

1. Story. It's cool.

2. Sargeras, and Argus. They did these fuckers justice. They made Sargeras intimidating, and they made Argus have a purpose.

3. Illidan teaching the Army of Light how to not be so shit.

4. Velen actually saying more than "Light, bless us".

5. Kil'jaeden having his doubts.

And 6. The Fall of the biggest threat in Warcraft.

Oh, and the Music and Art are...neat. Also loving the Titans, and the Artifacts.

Now, for the bads:

Titanforging, RNG, 7.2, Suramar, The Sylvanas/Genn Arc, Anduin, Vol'jin, The Ho---who?, Alleria's story (Seems a bit rushed for me), Hatuun, Turalyon, Xe'ra, the Light, and more.

So, lemme rate it:

Legion- 4/10.

MoP- 2/10.

Cata- 1/10.

Wrath- 2.5/10.

TBC- 2/10.

And now, WoD- -1/10.

But, i'm going to rate Vanilla.

Vanilla- 4/10. Why? Cause, it shaped Warcraft.

Now, for the other games (Cause, I can).

Diablo- 0/10. (Forgot what it was).

Starcraft- 0.5/10. (Fuck that ending).

Overwatch- 0.3/10 (TFT is better).

Hearthstone- -1/10 (Litterally like Magic: The Gathering).

And, lastly, HoTS- 0.01/10. (Litterally Dota/LoL...just...Blizzard).

- - - Updated - - -

I like Warcraft for some things, but it has a LOT wrong with it.

It's only my Opinion. Disagree with me, if ya want.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Middle of the pack, behind TBC / Early Cata and Wotlk. Mainly due to "systems".

Solo-content however it's one of the best.

Deleted
    Above average

I don't imagine anyone here has played every MMO to date so no one can really say. We can only compare it to WoW's other expansions, and even that is largely subjective.

Legion stands out for all the reasons to keep playing it.
    It is for sure one of the few expansions that brought mostly positive changes.

I really like the addition of Artifacts, Class questlines and challenges.
    I think this legendary system is better than WoD/MoP system, so its an improvement there as well.
    Mythic+ is also very nice, less prestige than M raids but a valid alternative.

The Prestige system on the other hand is a huge negative, this really should be account wide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I have to admit, ive been having a ton of fun in this expansion, and the only other expansion in WoW's history that has come close to keeping my attention on the game as well as Legion has is TBC. That being said, I think there can be made a good argument for Legion being one of the best expansions of ANY mmo out there on the market.

Things that keep me playing:

• Replayability - Tons of stuff to do, and even more if you have alts
    • Gameplay - Blizzard was spot on with the gameplay of the expansion from a mechanics perspective
    • Fun, yet challenging - The game strikes a perfect balance between being too easy, and challenging. Several of the outdoor areas can be challenging without decent gear
    • Outdoor PvP - Love the world quest outdoor PvP areas. Especially the Blackrook arena and bearback brawl in Stormheim
    • Raids - Some of the best the game has ever seen
    • Lore - Story has been superb and its tied very well this expansion
    • Dungeons - Mythic+, what more needs to be said?

Overall I rate Legion 9.9/10 and A++. I'm excited for what Blizzard has in store after Legion as well.
    It's not even the best expansion in WoW.

It's not even the best WoW expansion. TBC, Wotlk and even MoP were all better.

Deleted
    this cant be argued as long as rose tinted glasses exist!

Without even criticizing some of the Legion specific features, WoW has bombed class design 2 expansions in a row. They taglined Legion with the paradigm of "Class Fantasy" when in actuality they went with Spec Fantasy. WoW Mages use 3 schools of spells. Khadgar in the Tanaan Jungle opening uses this sweet tri elemental blast to blow the Dam. Going into Legion, were supposed to be more like him in terms of power. Instead you get a Cryomancer, a Pyromancer, and an Arcanomancer. Warrior's are about Rage, Shouts, Banners, and are Weapon Masters. All 3 specs should have Rage mechanics. It never was unique to Fury. All 3 specs should utilizes Shouts. Banners were a great addition to Warrior. Rogues? Putting poison's on one spec was just foolish. Assassination can have cooler poisons if its going to be the Poison spec, sure. But generic shadow snare for reasons, and Pistol shot snare for reasons are just shallow concepts when all 3 specs should just have crippling poison. Because "Pirate" esque classes arent notorious for using poisons? Assassination can just have a better Crippling poison.

Its funny that the majority of classes would feel 1000 times better if they had their pvp talents full time. Demon Hunters have almost all of their Anti Mage/Castery spells in their PvP tree. Whats up with that? PvP talents were a decent idea executed poorly. Because they siphoned a large portion of iconic/utility spells off the base class and dumped them into a portion of the game players may never see.

They blew Class fantasy. They blew Class utility. They blew Class design. What they nailed is every Spec has a relatively simple/streamlined rotation thats kind of unique to them. I agree with Blizzard that your damage rotation shouldnt necessarily be all about managing 3-4 buffs/debuffs and executing an 8+ button damage rotation. However, give me something more to do aside from hitting 1-5 in some class specific sequence. Maybe then their raid encounters wont consist exclusively of stacking and soaking mechanics.

Is Legion the best expansion of an MMO? No. Did it take many steps in the right direction? Sure. But for what its done right, its done an equal amount wrong.

Jaylock is by far the worst troll. Not even an art form, just sloppy.