Requesting advice on material well-being...

So, I'm about 1/2 way through the Stormblood MSQ for the first time, and I'm running out of bag space and armory room. My plan was to just grab another retainer and dump another load of garbage into his/her bags, but I'm beginning to wonder:
    1. Should I just be selling this junk to vendors?
    2. Should I sell the stuff on the market boards?
    3. Should I hold onto it for glamors?
    4. A mixture of these three? Is there anything obtained from the MSQ that is particularly worth posting on the boards?

I guess I'm just generally soliciting advice. There's sooo much stuff in this game (like all MMOs) and I don't know which parts of it I should be paying attention to. For reference, I don't like the process of earning money in MMOs and prefer to spend as little time doing it as possible. I'm not that jerk who undercuts the next person by 1 gil, I'm that jerk who undercuts the lowest-poster by 10%.

Second question: what is gil used for really?
    My goals are gearing up enough to join a raid group and getting at least one glamor (transmog?) set I like. I won't be buying housing, mounts, etc. Should I care about gil? Will teleportation and repairs eventually cost so much that I'll want to pay attention to it? Is crafted gear the best in the game?

Thanks in advance for responses.

If you're not really gonna bother with crafting yourself, MB or vendor any crafting mats you get. Anything you're not gonna use to level another job, also MB or vendor. Gil is useful for teleportation/repairs and for buying gear/materia, but beyond a certain point it kind of becomes pointless if you're not buying anything really expensive. Some glamour items might cost, and housing will definitely cost, but beyond that? Not really needed.

Excess gear earned from quests is well worth posting on the market board - it can sell for a surprising amount of gil! I recently sold a level 64 caster tunic for 149000 gil as an example. Crafting materials are hit and miss - some sell decently but others are literally just equal to vendor price or less on the market boards.

As for undercutting, I'd strongly suggest taking the '1 gil' route as it'll ensure you profit more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    As for undercutting, I'd strongly suggest taking the '1 gil' route as it'll ensure you profit more often.
    Expanding on this...

You can undercut without undercutting in this game. Let me explain...
    @Graeham has his retainer stationed in Ul'dah selling a stack of 10 [Crafting Logs] for 5000 gil.
    I decide to have my retainer stationed in Kugane selling a stack of 10 [Crafting Logs] for 5000 gil.

Now, if a buyer looks at the market board in Kugane, they would pay 5000 gil from my retainer. If they bought it from Graeham's retainer, it would cost more than 5000 gil because the retainer is stationed in Ul'dah. Essentially, you pay the price listed if you're in the same city, otherwise you pay sort of an "import tax."

I've seen plenty of examples where people have 5+ listings of an item and every one is in Limsa. I've posted at the same price (on some occasions slightly higher) and mine has sold quickly because my price was still lower than the other's cost + tax total.

If you pay attention when you look at the list, it's listed for 5000 but when you get the "confirm purchase" prompt, it will sometimes be higher. This is the reason for that.

So basically if you have 2 retainers and someone is selling the item you want to sell in a city one of your retainers are in.... have the other retainer stationed somewhere else list it. Spread the supply out and you won't have to do as much undercutting.

#4 will be the correct answer. With #1, it ties into #2; you want to check MB to see what sells for how much, then proceed from there. If someone's on the MB for barely more than what a vendor would give you...why bother? If you like how a piece of gear looks, hang onto it. That being said, any of the gear from the MSQ that you receive is crafted, so worst case you sell that gear off now and buy it back later, especially if you're running out of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    #4 will be the correct answer. With #1, it ties into #2; you want to check MB to see what sells for how much, then proceed from there. If someone's on the MB for barely more than what a vendor would give you...why bother? If you like how a piece of gear looks, hang onto it. That being said, any of the gear from the MSQ that you receive is crafted, so worst case you sell that gear off now and buy it back later, especially if you're running out of space.
    Ah, this is great to know, thanks! My one hoarding instinct stems from the fear that someday I'll need that rusted level 6 MSQ axe for an outfit that will be *perfect* but I won't be able to repeat the quest to get it. This means I am free to offload everything that isn't foresee-ably interesting now.

Also, good to know about the import tax. This means I need to undercut by at least that amount if I want great odds of never having to click on the item again

Good to know too that some people buy the quest gear (which makes sense for rich players with offspecs, I suppose). Maybe I've been dumb to opt for the "Allag silver pieces" more times than not.
    Last edited by Chandrassa; 2017-10-16 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandrassa View Post
    Ah, this is great to know, thanks! My one hoarding instinct stems from the fear that someday I'll need that rusted level 6 MSQ axe for an outfit that will be *perfect* but I won't be able to repeat the quest to get it. This means I am free to offload everything that isn't foresee-ably interesting now.

Also, good to know about the import tax. This means I need to undercut by at least that amount if I want great odds of never having to click on the item again
    There are only a few quest rewards out there you can't regain by the MB, and generally speaking those can be repurchased from Salvager NPC's in the main cities. As long as you got them once, you can get them again.

Good to know too that some people buy the quest gear (which makes sense for rich players with offspecs, I suppose). Maybe I've been dumb to opt for the "Allag silver pieces" more times than not.
    Even the grade 5 materia from SB quests are worth more than those silver pieces. Personally, I went for nothing but the materia at the time until I reached levels where the gear was better (around 66-67, since I had full 270 gear from level 60), with the idea I would be using it at max level for some time...then I realized how piss easy it is to get grade 6 materia, so I either sold off some grade 5s or overmelded them on the crafted gear I have.

I leveled from 60-70 as Red Mage first (all classes were at 60 at launch of SB except SAM and RDM....but I leveled RDM and SAM both to 60 within the first few days so I wouldn't have to worry about it) and knew I would be leveling Dark Knight next so I saved all the caster and tank gear on my character inventory or in my armoury chest. Everything else went to my retainers. After getting Red Mage and Dark Knight capped, I took PLD and WAR up and then threw away/ sold/ converted all the tank gear that wasn't max level gear which freed up a lot of space. Now I'm focusing on Healers so I can slowly get rid of the healer gear and make even more room. I'll continue down the line, working on the classes that share the most gear so that once capped I can get rid of the most gear.

I'm not even touching crafting or gathering until I have all my battle classes maxed...just too much other gear to deal with when the space is already severely limited and I only do those things to have all classes maxed and also for the field repair option you get when you have the crafting classes high enough.

Just focus on a couple classes at a time rather than trying to leave options for everything all the time. It's hard, but worth it IMO. Leveling doesn't take THAT long even from 60-70.

Well, again, you don't really have to undercut at all. Just have it listed in a city that it's not already listed in and yours is cheaper for anyone in the same city.

I rarely undercut and if I do, never by much. I don't tend to have stuff sitting up for sale for too long unless the market just totally falls out from under it and I don't realize it until I check on it later.