Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    No, he signed up to fight and potentially die. How can you not see how this isn't how a decent human behaves?
    ya adding potentially doesn't make your statement any different then mine as its pretty clear not every one who joins the army dies so theirs no possible ground to think i was implying that.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    ya adding potentially doesn't make your statement any different then mine as its pretty clear not every one who joins the army dies so theirs no possible ground to think i was implying that.
    Actually, it does and it matters in this context.

And I am not saying you implied that ... I am saying Trump's line implies they signed up to die, which it does.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a distinction between "potentially dying" and "dying". If you don't understand that distinction, you have some problems with the English language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    There is a distinction between "potentially dying" and "dying". If you don't understand that distinction, you have some problems with the English language.
    theirs no possible way you could think i meant every one who joined dies or signs up to die. when people talk about the army they normally say they fight and die for the country if you think i'm applying something else the fault is with you not me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Actually, it does and it matters in this context.

And I am not saying you implied that ... I am saying Trump's line implies they signed up to die, which it does.
    i don't get that he was implying that. i got that he was saying what people say all the time that soldiers sign up to fight and die for there country when they sign up they know they might die but when it happens it turns any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Americans are still being suckered by both Trump and your media - he's (metaphorically) razing swathes of your government and then selling off what's left to speculators, while literally allowing parts of your nation to collapse into utter chaos (Puerto Rico), he's continuing the stupid and counterproductive wars of his predecessors (including in Niger), while the so-called "opposition" is busy starting an internal civil war while cozying up to the same people who Trump is selling you out to, and what is the prime topic of discussion in the 4th estate? He said mean things to some grieving people.

Yes, Trump is awful, but the point is anyone with a brain or who cared already knows that - it's like seeing a pack of rabid dogs chewing on a baby in a park and everyone bemoaning the horror of it, while no one asks, "Why is there's a pack of rabid dogs loose in the city and what are we doing about it?!?"
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Republicans do not and never have cared for veterans unless they can score political points off them. It's a simple fact. Trump isn't anything new. I do find it hilarious people defending Trump, but if this was Obama this "scandal" would be on Fox News every day for 7 years.

Today we also learned Trump personally offered a father of a fallen soldier a personal check for $25k but never wrote that check until today when he was shamed into it by the "Fake News Media". OT, it's funny how Trump and his supporters call these news sites fake news, yet Trump is taking action based on their reporting on this issue, on opioids, etc.. never from a report by Fox News or the daily caller etc...

The father knew how to get pathetic Trump's attention:
    Brooks said that after watching the news on Tuesday night he wanted to set up a Twitter account to try to get the president’s attention.

“I said to my daughter, ‘Can you teach me to tweet, so I can tweet at the president and tell him he’s a liar?’” he said. “You know when you hear people lying, and you want to fight? That’s the way I feel last night. He’s a damn liar.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Americans are still being suckered by both Trump and your media - he's (metaphorically) razing swathes of your government and then selling off what's left to speculators, while literally allowing parts of your nation to collapse into utter chaos (Puerto Rico), he's continuing the stupid and counterproductive wars of his predecessors (including in Niger), while the so-called "opposition" is busy starting an internal civil war while cozying up to the same people who Trump is selling you out to, and what is the prime topic of discussion in the 4th estate? He said mean things to some grieving people.

Yes, Trump is awful, but the point is anyone with a brain or who cared already knows that - it's like seeing a pack of rabid dogs chewing on a baby in a park and everyone bemoaning the horror of it, while no one asks, "Why is there's a pack of rabid dogs loose in the city and what are we doing about it?!?"
    Here's the thing though - 35% of the country doesn't think he's a terrible person.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    There were six witnesses. It's been corroborated.

Trump's the one who claimed he had proof that it's not true. Why won't he produce that proof, then? Is it hiding behind his Comey tapes?
    Sorry, only deplorable and immoral alt-right witnesses matter. Those 6 witnesses were "leftists" and thus it's only right to discard their accounts out of the window.

- - - Updated - - -

theirs no possible way you could think i meant every one who joined dies or signs up to die. when people talk about the army they normally say they fight and die for the country if you think i'm applying something else the fault is with you not me.

- - - Updated - - -

i don't get that he was implying that. i got that he was saying what people say all the time that soldiers sign up to fight and die for there country when they sign up they know they might die but when it happens it turns any way.
    The difference is if they died without good cause and the person who callously sent them to futile deaths was being extremely insensitive to the families of the bereaved to add on top.

Plenty of presidents know exactly what to say and what not to - Trump isn't one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Here's the thing though - 35% of the country doesn't think he's a terrible person.
    And it doesn't matter to these "thinly-veiled" alt-righters. Statistics be damned when it comes to apologizing for Trump - there's no better way to whitewash a stark situation than to handwave away 30+% of a large nation because they know they can't defend Trump based on his merits(or abject lack thereof).
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Sorry, only deplorable and immoral alt-right witnesses matter. Those 6 witnesses were "leftists" and thus it's only right to discard their accounts out of the window.

- - - Updated - - -

The difference is if they died without good cause and the person who callously sent them to futile deaths was being extremely insensitive to the families of the bereaved to add on top.

Plenty of presidents know exactly what to say and what not to - Trump isn't one of them.
    a good cause is subjective though, i wouldn't most soldiers death since ww2 were for a good cause other would disagree with me. i do how ever agree that other presidents know what to say or are far more articulate then trump i just don't see the problem in this once case which isn't helped that different sources say he said different things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    And 34% of them don't believe in evolution, while 40% think they're personally immune to climate change - news flash, they're wrong; and they're not going to be convinced by any amount of evidence, partly because that's not how human brains work, and party because they've given up so much self-awareness and free-will that they no longer function as sentient beings. And that still doesn't address the real problem with "news" like this - it's Orwell's Five Minute Hate; just because it targets a figure many people really hate for really good reasons doesn't change the fact that it's a distraction from the actual destruction Trump is wrecking on American and potentially the world (much, but not exactly, like your single-sentence nearly-perfectly tangential reply ).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It’s not about the statement being right or wrong, it’s about it being really insensitive and inappropriate to say to a grieving loved one.

If it even did happen.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/u...nson-call.html
    The mother backs up the account made by the congresswoman.
    Sergeant Johnson’s mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, backed the congresswoman’s version. “Yes, he did state that comment,” Ms. Jones-Johnson said, via message on Facebook, of Mr. Trump’s remark that her son “knew what he signed up for.”
    Also, apparently Trump only ever referred to the fallen soldier as "Your guy"
    “When she got off the phone, she said, ‘He didn’t even know his name. He kept calling him, ‘Your guy,’” Ms. Wilson said of Ms. Johnson. “He was calling the fallen soldier, ‘Your guy.’ And he never said his name because he did not know his name. So he kept saying, ‘Your guy. Your guy. Your guy.’ And that was devastating to her.”
    Also there is this:

Mr. Trump’s charged relationship with Gold Star families — those who have lost relatives in war — took another turn with the White House’s disclosure on Wednesday that it had sent a check for $25,000 to the family of Sgt. Dillon Baldridge, who was shot to death by an Afghan police officer, along with two other American soldiers, in June.

Mr. Trump had promised the check to Sergeant Baldridge’s father, Chris, in a phone call a few weeks after his son’s death, according to The Washington Post. But the president did not send the money until the newspaper inquired about it on Wednesday.

“For somebody to tell me they were going to give me something and then not come through, it feels like kicking me when I’m down,” Mr. Baldridge said Wednesday.
    That tracks though. Trump has a history of not giving people the money they were promised.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Lacking tact when talking to the parents/spouses of recently-deceased soldiers. Yea, that sounds about right for Trump. Lying about visiting/calling them? Definitely sounds like Trump.

Boy, he's sure showing everyone how downright despicable a person can be.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    I honestly don't know if a comforting lie is better the a honest truth. I imagine the discussion of that is highly philosophical.
    No need to lie at all. "Nothing can make up for the loss of a child...but I hope you can find some small comfort in the fact that Sgt Johnson died serving his country and that his sacrifice will never be forgotten. Our nation mourns with you."

It's that easy.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's not wrong but it's not exactly a good thing to say to a grieving widow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    LOL - don't feel sorry for me. I am not the one lives in a constant state of apoplexy over everything that Trump does. Quite the contrary. And I am still 100% satisfied with my choice for President.
    It seems you've found the key to true happiness. Lower your expectations enough, and any occurrence at all will seem like a positive one.

10+ Year Old Account
    This wouldn't be all that big a deal if he didn't have a long, established history of viewing the American soldiers under his command as nothing more than meat for the grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    Ok.. cool.. Explain to me what is wrong with he said and give reasons why if you are such a god.
    You're right, Trump is right in what he said about how soldiers know what they are getting into, but you don't fucking say that to the grieving family. Believe it or not there are ways of displaying sorrow and empathy without saying the wrong thing. There are wrong things to say in this situation and what he said was one of them, it's not hard to understand.

When your son dies at a hospital do you want the doctor to say "Well it's sad, but he knew it was coming by smoking for years." It's called empathy and thinking before speaking.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    This wouldn't be all that big a deal if he didn't have a long, established history of viewing the American soldiers under his command as nothing more than meat for the grinder.
    It wouldn't be a big deal if Trump didn't talk shit about Obama not calling the families of fallen soldiers. Them chickens have come home to roost.

10+ Year Old Account
    So are we supposed to believe the lady or the perpetual liar?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Assuming he did say it... he wasn't wrong.

It is something you consider before joining or at least should.
    dude, you're talking to a grieving widow, perhaps grieving parent and kids, there are ways to say things.

yes, green berets certainly is a risky occupation, but rather than saying "he knew what he signed for", perhaps you could emphasize on how important his job was for the safety of the country, in his courage, his devotion for his country. Tell her she should be proud, that his death will not be in vain and he will never be forgotten, this kind of thing.

Is it so hard, instead of shrug and "c'est la vie" kind of attitude?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    So are we supposed to believe the lady or the perpetual liar?
    it's been confirmed by everyone that was in the car, since the call was on speaker.

then again, some may say they all in against trump, manipulated by the democrats, yadi yada, but you recognize them usually by their tin foil hat.