Thread: A Loot Box Rant

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well technically the content isn't locked behind a paywall. There's nothing in overwatch you have to buy to unlock (exempting special promotions things like the origins edition or blizzcon skins)
    Visuals are content.
    Infracted

  2. #22
    If you hate this micro-transaction thing, you must "vote with your wallet".

    If you buy, you encourage micro-transaction.

  3. #23
    The Insane Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    16,920
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Visuals are content.
    Okay.

    It's still not locked behind a paywall.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Okay.

    It's still not locked behind a paywall.
    Except the acquisition is tuned in such a way as to encourage buying loot boxes, especially during limited time events. Otherwise there wouldn't be loot boxes at all, and you would just have earned currency so you can target the things you like specifically rather than a bullshit slot machine that 99% of the time will give you things you didn't want.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    If you hate this micro-transaction thing, you must "vote with your wallet".

    If you buy, you encourage micro-transaction.
    Exactly. The reason that microtransactions have gotten worse and worse every year is because gamers can not boycott anything for shit. Zero impulse control and they wonder why they are getting milked harder and harder.
    Infracted

  5. #25
    The Insane Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    16,920
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Except the acquisition is tuned in such a way as to encourage buying loot boxes, especially during limited time events. Otherwise there wouldn't be loot boxes at all, and you would just have earned currency so you can target the things you like specifically rather than a bullshit slot machine that 99% of the time will give you things you didn't want.
    "encourage" =! "locked behind"



    Sounds like someone hasn't gotten the mccree skin yet.


    I don't buy lootboxes; haven't bought a single one. I'm level 600~ and have more than enough gold to buy whatever I so desire in addition to what I unlock. I'm sitting on about 11,000 right now; I usually buy one or two legendaries every holiday event.


    So... you want stuff from the game, play more, I guess?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  6. #26
    I would prefer it if they had a system tied to in-game activities, objectives, achievements, stats or something, rather than currency.
    One cannot simply quit wow his way into Mordor.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambereldus View Post
    Each of the new legendary skins is priced at 1000, just like any other. You can confirm this by comparing them to an "old" event legendary and how their price is inline with any other skin. The difference comes from the fact that new event legendaries have a 200% markup, presumably to maintain their exclusivity for a year.
    I didn't know about that. Just checked OW and you're correct. So if you don't mind one year exclusivity then next year you can buy skin you want for normal price. That's cool.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So... you want stuff from the game, play more, I guess?
    Either put hours in Overwatch for levels or use some money (aka work hours) to buy boxes.

    OP said he got 5 loot boxes. Just playing some easy win arcade games would have rewarded him with 8 boxes, plus 2-4 for the character levels, plus one for logging in the first time during the event.
    5 boxes are like what; 1 login, 3 arcade, 1 level up? Around half an hour of game time or something.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    "encourage" =! "locked behind"
    encourage gets the value !locked_behind
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

  10. #30
    The Insane Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    16,920
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    encourage gets the value !locked_behind
    Except it doesn't.


    Like, you can't say "Overwatch REQUIRES you to buy lootboxes!" and then immediately follow it up with "well okay TECHNICALLY not..."

    You just defeat your own argument.


    You want in-game stuff without paying for it? Play the game more. Apparently people don't play the game enough to earn what they want. They want everything handed to them for as little amount of effort as they want to put in, it would seem.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Except it doesn't.


    Like, you can't say "Overwatch REQUIRES you to buy lootboxes!" and then immediately follow it up with "well okay TECHNICALLY not..."

    You just defeat your own argument.


    You want in-game stuff without paying for it? Play the game more. Apparently people don't play the game enough to earn what they want. They want everything handed to them for as little amount of effort as they want to put in, it would seem.
    Yikes. Well this is embarrassing for you. I wasn't disagreeing, I was pointing out an error.

    != does not mean the same thing as =!

    You used =! which means exactly what I typed.

    You probably meant != which means encourage is not equal to locked behind .

    At least I agree with you on the actual topic at hand. You want cosmetics, play more to earn them or just buy them.
    Last edited by LiiLoSNK; 2017-10-21 at 10:44 AM.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

  12. #32
    I am Murloc! Kathranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    5,278
    You get all new heroes and maps for free. You can get a decent selection of random cosmetics for free. You can save up credits to get the specific cosmetics you want. If you play semi-regularly you can save up 3000-4000 credits pretty easily between events. Old legendaries are 66% off. If you want to spend money you can buy lootboxes to speed up that process.

    It's fine. It's one of the few lootbox implementations that I think most people are okay with.

    If you barely play you shouldn't have an expectation of getting a lot of rare items. Two legendaries in five boxes is extremely lucky, anyway.

    And if you barely play I think you should ask yourself why you care so much about getting the cosmetics.

  13. #33
    The Patient Zatachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    My place
    Posts
    271
    Deleted it

    Oh forget it, everybody here is so stiff.....
    Last edited by Zatachi; 2017-10-21 at 11:46 AM.
    Though i love it as a language, english isnt my native tongue. So all you grammar-junkies: Deal with it.

  14. #34
    As pointed out, getting two legendaries in ~5 loot boxes is pretty lucky actually.

    And what's so bad about saving credits up until the end of the event...? That's just a smart decision, why would you want to dump all your credits when you can still get the item from a loot box, and it's not like you need the skin immediately.

    I think Overwatch's system is completely fine honestly. Yeah, some of the holiday skins can be a bit disappointing to not get, but you have all the time between the events to also farm up currency so at the end, you can just purchase whatever random things you didn't get yet.

  15. #35
    The Insane Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    16,920
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Yikes. Well this is embarrassing for you. I wasn't disagreeing, I was pointing out an error.

    != does not mean the same thing as =!

    You used =! which means exactly what I typed.

    You probably meant != which means encourage is not equal to locked behind .

    At least I agree with you on the actual topic at hand. You want cosmetics, play more to earn them or just buy them.
    Alright, well, I apologize.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    As pointed out, getting two legendaries in ~5 loot boxes is pretty lucky actually.

    And what's so bad about saving credits up until the end of the event...? That's just a smart decision, why would you want to dump all your credits when you can still get the item from a loot box, and it's not like you need the skin immediately.

    I think Overwatch's system is completely fine honestly. Yeah, some of the holiday skins can be a bit disappointing to not get, but you have all the time between the events to also farm up currency so at the end, you can just purchase whatever random things you didn't get yet.
    But if that actually counts towards my "guaranteed legendary every 20 boxes" its bad luck. Because if the system is accounting for 2 legendaries received, but together its 1500 total currency in value it's basically half of a new Halloween skin.
    "Don't discuss religion or politics at the dinner table."

    No, it makes much more sense to discuss it with complete strangers shrouded in the anonymity of the internet.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I would prefer it if they had a system tied to in-game activities, objectives, achievements, stats or something, rather than currency.
    Hell no. They already have some things tied to achievements (a couple of different sprays, specifically) and they usually depend on things that can easily get fucked up. Like the hell that is getting the 'sorry' spray; destroying three of Symmetra's teleporters in one game.

    Or the stupidity where they tied skins to having to play other games than Overwatch (HotS D.va/Genji skins), which they've since reverted and you can now get those skins.

    As people have repeatedly stated, no one has to buy loot boxes. You get them simply by playing and if you play enough, you get them faster than if you play less time. In no way does anyone have to buy boxes, that's an utterly false statement. Nor is it a "paywall" because you will get the items eventually, regardless of whether you choose to pay for boxes or not.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfectdoll View Post
    Hell no. They already have some things tied to achievements (a couple of different sprays, specifically) and they usually depend on things that can easily get fucked up. Like the hell that is getting the 'sorry' spray; destroying three of Symmetra's teleporters in one game.
    What can I say, I like having to go for niche little things like that over a random unlock.
    One cannot simply quit wow his way into Mordor.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Generally I hear people say "Oh its just cosmetic", but I feel character customization should actually be considered not just a throw away system in a game to milk money from, but as an important part of the enjoyment of, particularly, multiplayer games.
    Er... you cannot milk money from a throw away system. Customization systems in multiplayer games are not throw away. They are a primary source of revenue. If Overwatch had any multiplayer hub for people to hang out at - with time it would be called Fashionwatch. And if Blizzard wanted to make any money off overwatch they would've made it f2p and added such a hub.

    For instance Warframe is often called Fashionframe (though as of late it's being called Fishingframe)
    All right, gentlemen, let's review. The year is 2017 - that's two-zero-one-seven, as in the 21st Century - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of robed sissies.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    What can I say, I like having to go for niche little things like that over a random unlock.
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have as such, just that there doesn't need to be more of it. It's just a bit sad though, 'cause one of the things I really wanted as a Mercy primary player back when multi-rezzes was a thing was the 'sorry' spray and I never got it 'cause it's nigh impossible to get for several reasons (and also the fact that as a Mercy you can't really go teleport-hunting).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •