Thread: A Loot Box Rant

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    If some guy that loves skins very much pays extra to keep a game I love alive for everyone, that's fine with me. Recurring income is important for every business, and we want the developers to dare invest in the games beyond their first years of life.
    Mother pus bucket!

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Er... you cannot milk money from a throw away system. Customization systems in multiplayer games are not throw away. They are a primary source of revenue. If Overwatch had any multiplayer hub for people to hang out at - with time it would be called Fashionwatch. And if Blizzard wanted to make any money off overwatch they would've made it f2p and added such a hub.

    For instance Warframe is often called Fashionframe (though as of late it's being called Fishingframe)
    Yeah I agree I think you probably read my post wrong or I just said it poorly. "I feel character customization should actually be considered not just a throw away system in a game".

    If I could get a redo I'd say it like a proper human and be like "I don't feel like character customization should be a throw away system" or "I feel character customization should actually NOT be considered a throw away system".


    My overall point is that character customization is a huge part of games, and I don't just agree with the rampant "It's just cosmetics" sentiment.
    "Don't discuss religion or politics at the dinner table."

    No, it makes much more sense to discuss it with complete strangers shrouded in the anonymity of the internet.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    My overall point is that character customization is a huge part of games, and I don't just agree with the rampant "It's just cosmetics" sentiment.
    I feel the 'it's just cosmetics' thing is taken slightly out of context. While I agree with you that customisation is a huge part of games, I'd say that the point people are trying to make with the 'it's just cosmetics' comments is more along the lines of "It's just cosmetics, they've no impact on game play so it's not a 'pay to win' scenario", if that makes sense?

  4. #44
    I’m of the mindset that these are rewards for those who commit time to the game and for those who don’t there is a money way try and get what you want. Nothing is guaranteed of course and you should note that before spending money. I play an hour a day and 4-6 hours on free day and I always have 9k credits by the end of the next event to get the skins that I want if I didn’t get them randomly.

    If I didn’t put much time in a game I wouldn’t be worried about getting that one skin because I barely play the game.

    I’m open to a better system but even in hots which I play about an hour a week I really don’t care about heroes or skins even if they are amazing because I don’t invest time in it to get them.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfectdoll View Post
    I feel the 'it's just cosmetics' thing is taken slightly out of context. While I agree with you that customisation is a huge part of games, I'd say that the point people are trying to make with the 'it's just cosmetics' comments is more along the lines of "It's just cosmetics, they've no impact on game play so it's not a 'pay to win' scenario", if that makes sense?
    You're totally right on that point where if people are making the argument that hey it's better than power increases, sure. But I think we're getting to the point where I just hear "hey's just cosmetics" without actually any consideration for personal aesthetics as an important aspect of the game itself.

    So just because it's better than pay to win, doesn't mean it's good. It's just less bad.
    "Don't discuss religion or politics at the dinner table."

    No, it makes much more sense to discuss it with complete strangers shrouded in the anonymity of the internet.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    I mean you don't get a dupe until you have all the rare/epic/legendaries from the event in the first place, so what does it matter?
    No. Why do you spout such lies and misinformation? Do you enjoy telling tricking people with your LIES!?

    You get event-only items until you have all sprays, Voice lines and Player Icons. After that you can get duplicates. Legendaries are still legendaries and dosen't count towards that system

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Legendaries are still legendaries and dosen't count towards that system
    You're 100% wrong. You have a drastically reduced chance to obtain a dupe ever until you own 95% of them. That's a fact and its a fact confirmed through the Lead of the game.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    you would just have earned currency so you can target the things you like specifically rather than a bullshit slot machine that 99% of the time will give you things you didn't want.
    You do get currency to buy what you want. The only thing is you have to get currency lucky at the start or start getting dupes. By the time you start getting dupes (around 25 or so) you'll start to get a feel for what you like and don't like heroes wise so you can invest your currency better rather than going "ZOMG SO COOL MUST HAVE" and then instantly regret it because you dislike the hero several matches later.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    You're 100% wrong. You have a drastically reduced chance to obtain a dupe ever until you own 95% of them. That's a fact and its a fact confirmed through the Lead of the game.
    Whatever you say mate. You believing what you want to believing. I'm just saying what is actully happening ingame when i bought loot boxes. After all the Halloween icons, Sprays and Voice lines you start getting dupes again. I Barely got all the event skins in 100 boxes. If it worked like you say it works, then you would get all the skins aswell, before dupes, But that's not how it is ingame
    Last edited by SkagenRora; 2017-10-24 at 02:51 PM.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Whatever you say mate. You believing what you want to believing. I'm just saying what is actully happening ingame when i bought loot boxes. After all the Halloween icons, Sprays and Voice lines you start getting dupes again. I Barely got all the event skins in 100 boxes. If it worked like you say it works, then you would get all the skins aswell, before dupes, But that's not how it is ingame
    The drop rate of legendaries or epics isn't increased because you have the sprays and voice lines lol. You want to argue something completely different than what's being said.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    The drop rate of legendaries or epics isn't increased because you have the sprays and voice lines lol. You want to argue something completely different than what's being said.
    You said that until you have all items you can't get dupes. Which is false information.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    You said that until you have all items you can't get dupes. Which is false information.
    Of a subsection if you want to get into semantics you're a retard. Thanks for playing.

  13. #53
    Scarab Lord NatePsychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    4,567
    I'd actually have incentive to play if their loot box system worked the way Heroes of the Storm does. Where you can choose to spend money on boxes or "level" Heroes/Champions and get a loot box for every champion/hero level ontop of the milestones at each player level. It would also encourage me to try new characters in OW too.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Of a subsection if you want to get into semantics you're a retard. Thanks for playing.
    Just don't say stuff that's not true, Okay?

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    You do get currency to buy what you want. The only thing is you have to get currency lucky at the start or start getting dupes. By the time you start getting dupes (around 25 or so) you'll start to get a feel for what you like and don't like heroes wise so you can invest your currency better rather than going "ZOMG SO COOL MUST HAVE" and then instantly regret it because you dislike the hero several matches later.
    The amount of currency you get in their current system is trivial, and you rarely get just currency its usually some player icon or other low value crap. Even if you get a dupe, it's only 25% of what the dupe was, so yeah duplicate player icon or spray is this tiny pittance. Should at least be able to vendor things you don't want to use for AT LEAST 50% of what it's worth.
    Infracted

  16. #56
    I think it's fine, but it would be nice if you could get a refund if you buy a legendary skin and then get it again before the event is over.
    As it is now you "have to" wait until the last day. I don't like that.

  17. #57
    I spent 50 bucks so far chasing the this year's Halloween Skin for Mei and haven't gotten it yet, I was kinda pissed but got over it, and will probably throw some more money chasing it.

  18. #58
    Legendary! Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    6,854
    I've never bought loot boxes

    waste of money

    I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive. I have to.

  19. #59
    Guys, play between holidays and events to save up credits so you can buy the skin you want :P

  20. #60
    Scarab Lord OneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tesseract
    Posts
    4,307
    I payed once during event for 5 boxes.
    I play arcade (mostly with brother) and I play rated and like that, I got around 20 boxes so far and I only play at evening, since I am working person.

    I don't like all of cosmetics and those that I do, some of them are 3000 C.
    I usually get around 700-1000 coins and then I check if there are few skins that I could buy. During Halloween event, some of the skins are 250 c.
    I really like McCrees Van Helsing skin and in one of those 20 boxes, I got that skin. I also like Symetra dragon skin, which is also 3000 c and I haven't go that but I am fine without it. In matter of fact, I can live without all skins but having them, gives me feeling of a more personalized account.
    Some I do have, some I don't.
    Some I like, some I don't.

    Eventually, you can have all skins, so I am not troubled that much about it.

    For me, customization would be if I can use different weapon skin or hat skin (which could be a mighty fine idea for Blizzard) but not much more than that. So all in all, system works fine for me.
    "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man loses his nerves"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •