Page 1 of 3
LastLast

CRISPR needs consent from the CRISPRed? What?

@5:20, she starts rambling on about an ethical issue for CRISPR and how if you are not around, you can't consent, so would using CRISPR to modify embryos be ethical?

Huh?

WTF is this nonsense?

I wasn't able to consent to my parents getting it on to make me, WTF would it be any different for me not being able to consent to my parents using CRISPR to make me?

I'm wondering if I should get popcorn and wait for people to start talking about the bodily autonomy of a fetus....

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post

@5:20, she starts rambling on about an ethical issue for CRISPR and how if you are not around, you can't consent, so would using CRISPR to modify embryos be ethical?

Huh?

WTF is this nonsense?

I wasn't able to consent to my parents getting it on to make me, WTF would it be any different for me not being able to consent to my parents using CRISPR to make me?
    I'm not necessarily agreeing...but i can see the argument when it comes to unintended consequences regarding future generations...not just your kid...but their kids too. Sort of like a pregnant women doing hard drugs.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    a pregnant women doing hard drugs.
    That I couldn't consent to anymore then I could to her getting it on with a malformed man. What's that got to do with her choosing CRISPR to make me instead of her having sex with someone of her own choosing to make me?

she starts rambling on about an ethical issue for CRISPR
    If you don't understand the huge ethical issues of CRISPR, then it means you don't understand what CRISPR is capable of.

Playing with the source code for humans is pretty weighty stuff.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    If you don't understand the huge ethical issues of CRISPR, then it means you don't understand what CRISPR is capable of.

Playing with the source code for humans is pretty weighty stuff.
    I never said I don't understand them, I said I don't understand her issue with this one.

And people play with the code all the time the moment they attempt to choose their sexual partners to make babies, honey.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-10-20 at 06:57 AM.

I never said I don't understand them, I said I don't understand her issue with this one.

And people play with the code all the time the moment they attempt to choose their sexual partners to make babies, honey.
    the moral reasoning behind eugenics isn't exactly a good reference point either...

And people play with the code all the time the moment they attempt to choose their sexual partners to make babies
    I suspect you might need your understanding of reproduction correct a lot.

Using the code, using the system that's been worked out over hundreds of millions of years is what people normally play with. That is - they are just using the operating system as designed.

CRISPR modifies the source code itself, it bypasses all the things that have been tested for a very long time.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

they are just using the operating system as designed.
    Not they, us. The system was designed by us. We designed it by our own choices. CRISPR is still us designing it by our own choices.

I'm doing a research paper on this topic, but not exactly.
    I'm all for CRISPR/CAS9 editing. As one pointed out so far, your parents decided to make you and you didn't have a choice. Why should your choice even matter when it comes to two consulting and agreeing parents? The choice shouldn't matter.

The implications of CRISPR go way beyond consent from little baby twats.

The implications that are negative are: designer babies and well, super soldiers. Along with those two, come patents. Companies will hold the rights to specific sequences and well, that's not good for anyone.

The positives are editing out hereditary diseases and genetic mutations that affect humans very adversely. The QoL for humanity will improve, drastically.
    There is a con to the quality improvement, though. The con is overpopulation at a much hastened increase.

There are too many people who are all 'professional communication' and they are highly thin skinned and over sensitive. Someone said the work fuck, and they are offended. This woman, seems like the type of person and that's unfortunate.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Issues I see: designer babies/super babies & a new class divide (those who can afford vs those who can't, and those who are against it).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

The system was designed by us.
    Ok, your creationist style ideas aside - the reality is the system (that is NORMALLY used) was developed hundreds of millions of years before humans were even a thing.

CRISPR bypasses that system ... in WoW terms, it is an exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Issues I see: designer babies/super babies & a new class divide (those who can afford vs those who can't, and those who are against it).
    Eventually, however, those that are against it won't be smart enough to do anything about it. Which is the point of better working humans, isn't it? So no one has to suffer from being dumb and suffer from being broken, right?

Is there not a case of a woman suing her parents for her being as ugly as she is. I could see babies growing into adults and wanting to sue the people responsible for any conditions recieved that weren't intended, kinda like the thalidomide thing.

- - - Updated - - -

So no one has to suffer from being dumb and suffer from being broken, right?
    I mean, it is well well documented how the smarter you are the happier and more you achieve. Oh, no, wait, thats nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Ok, your creationist style ideas aside - the reality is the system (that is NORMALLY used) was developed hundreds of millions of years before humans were even a thing.

CRISPR bypasses that system ... in WoW terms, it is an exploit.
    You have no idea when it was developed. All you have is legos to look at that exist in your own timeline and legos to look at that may have existed in other timelines.

Everything else is conjecture based on those legos you can look at. You don't even know if there were legos that no longer exist that caused all those legos to exist now or even if the reality we experience is real or a SIM game used by another lifeform we can't even perceive. All conjecture.

Using the legos that exist to better us is fine, regardless if done via sexual encounters chosen by us or CRISPR chosen by us.

I do think there need to be limitations to this sort of science going forward, like only using it to correct and fix defects and medical problems.

Using it for designer babies is going to be a problem. With global culture's obsession with pale skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes I'm worried we'll essentially whitewash ourselves to look more "fashionable" or beautiful according to what advertising says. I'd be livid if my wife were pregnant and used this technology to redesign our baby to look different than its parents, for example.

That's just one issue I have with the whole designer baby issue.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Is there not a case of a woman suing her parents for her being as ugly as she is. I could see babies growing into adults and wanting to sue the people responsible for any conditions recieved that weren't intended, kinda like the thalidomide thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, it is well well documented how the smarter you are the happier and more you achieve. Oh, no, wait, thats nonsense.

Well documented? Just ask around. If anyone is suffering from being dumb or broken, they now can try CRISPR to make babies instead of having sex with another dumb and broken human to make dumb and broken babies! No documentation needed to ask someone if they suffer or not.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    That's just one issue I have with the whole designer baby issue.
    I think its a curiousity of humankinds vanity that we take a concept like CRISPR and worry that we will make babies too "good looking".

What about the ones who are grossly more intelligent and physically strong. They won't care if they are uggos when the extinction of homo sapiens occurs.

- - - Updated - - -

Well documented? Just ask around. If anyone is suffering from being dumb or broken, they now can try CRISPR to make babies instead of having sex with another dumb and broken human to make dumb and broken babies! No documentation needed to ask someone if they suffer or not.
    I don't think you understood what I was saying which is not a great surprise considering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv_ View Post
    The con is overpopulation at a much hastened increase.
    Overpopulation isn't that much of an issue as many people think. If you look at the population growth numbers and the economic situation than you can see that the second the quality of life gets better, birth rates shrink drastically. Many estimations suggest that a population of 10 Billion will never be reached.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I think its a curiousity of humankinds vanity that we take a concept like CRISPR and worry that we will make babies too "good looking".

What about the ones who are grossly more intelligent and physically strong. They won't care if they are uggos when the extinction of homo sapiens occurs.
    I'd be against "super babies" too.

And blonde hair blue eyes wouldn't be "good looking" for me, I was just pointing out pop culture and fashion's use of that appearance as a standard-bearer for what beauty should be.