More than 300,000 Rohingya refugee children 'outcast and desperate', Unicef says

Nearly 340,000 Rohingya children are living in squalid conditions in Bangladesh camps where they lack enough food, clean water and health care, the United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef) said on Friday.

Up to 12,000 more children join them every week, fleeing violence or hunger in Myanmar, often still traumatised by atrocities they witnessed, it said in a report “Outcast and Desperate”.

In all, almost 600,000 Rohingya refugees have left northern Rakhine state since 25 August when the UN says the Myanmar army began a campaign of “ethnic cleansing” following insurgent attacks.

“This isn’t going to be a short-term, it isn’t going to end anytime soon,” Simon Ingram, the report’s author and a Unicef official, told a news briefing.

“So it is absolutely critical that the borders remain open and that protection for children is given and equally that children born in Bangladesh have their birth registered.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...te-says-unicef

I really hope this doesn't spill over to europe. We already have enough problems as it is with people from africa and middle east flooding to our countries.

That's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post
    I really hope this doesn't spill over to europe. We already have enough problems as it is with people from africa and middle east flooding to our countries.
    Rather have those refugee kids being taken care of here in Europe over the current bearded "children" we've taken in already...

What other countries around there have the means to help them? I mean there is China and India but I kinda doubt China will help. How well is Bangladesh doing as a country? I'll admit I'm not very well versed in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    What other countries around there have the means to help them? I mean there is China and India but I kinda doubt China will help. How well is Bangladesh doing as a country? I'll admit I'm not very well versed in the area.
    Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Australia?
    I thought about that but I figured their first route would be somewhere they could get to by land. With this seeming to be happening in northern Burma I would think they wouldnt want to travel straight to the southern Burmese coast. It could work with an itermidiary state though.

Australia?
    New Zealand still has that hobbit village from the Lord of the Rings movies. It could work?

Why can't the UN build an island or Qatar?

Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post
    Nearly 340,000 Rohingya children are living in squalid conditions in Bangladesh camps where they lack enough food, clean water and health care, the United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef) said on Friday.

Up to 12,000 more children join them every week, fleeing violence or hunger in Myanmar, often still traumatised by atrocities they witnessed, it said in a report “Outcast and Desperate”.

In all, almost 600,000 Rohingya refugees have left northern Rakhine state since 25 August when the UN says the Myanmar army began a campaign of “ethnic cleansing” following insurgent attacks.

“This isn’t going to be a short-term, it isn’t going to end anytime soon,” Simon Ingram, the report’s author and a Unicef official, told a news briefing.

“So it is absolutely critical that the borders remain open and that protection for children is given and equally that children born in Bangladesh have their birth registered.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...te-says-unicef

they're too far away from europe. the chinese and indians could give a hand into helping these people.
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

Deleted
    Yeah, poor Rohingyas... except there must be a reason when when every single surrounding country hates you and refuse to take you, when a Nobel Peace Prize winner prime minsiter wants get rid of you, when the followers of the most peaceful religion aka Buddhist monks grab weapons to chase you away...

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    My family is from Bangladesh and I can tell you we are still poor as we can't even properly house, feed, give access to clean water own our people.

This will continue unless the UN steps in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Australia?
    Australia would put them in concentration camps like they do with most refugees.

- - - Updated - - -

India won't help either, Rohingya are majority Muslim which won't fly in a country as steeped in racism and religious intolerance as India.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Why can't the UN build an island or Qatar?
    Because the UN is impotent and Qatar already takes in a lot of Bangladeshi people. I mean mostly as slave labour, but still.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzum View Post
    most peaceful religion aka Buddhist monks
    Fucking lol. Don't believe the hype, Buddhists can be as bloodthirsty as the rest of them.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

Deleted
    Looking at photo there are 2 kids and hundreds of grown ups. Typical for modern shit media.

While there is humanitarian crisis, using clickbait titles and misinformation doesn't help cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Rather have those refugee kids being taken care of here in Europe over the current bearded "children" we've taken in already...
    No difference really. Its same age 20-40 "children", with few actual children thrown in mix for photo ops.

We're taking 20K, looks like that's just a drop in a bucket.

Where's Canada? Canada is empty.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzum View Post
    Yeah, poor Rohingyas... except there must be a reason when when every single surrounding country hates you and refuse to take you, when a Nobel Peace Prize winner prime minsiter wants get rid of you, when the followers of the most peaceful religion aka Buddhist monks grab weapons to chase you away...
    A good point, you'd think said PM would have no issue explaining why she's ethnically cleansing that part of Myanmar; as opposed to just claiming its not happening at all; which was the last state of affairs; right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.