$1000 budget gaming desktop build help

Budget: $1,000 +/- 200
    Resolution: 1080p or 1440p with 75hz or more
    Games / Settings Desired: Primarily open world games - ARK, GTA:V, WoW, ESO, BDO, PUBG, Skyrim @ highest settings 1080p 60hz or better

Secondary games - BF4, BF1, Forza 7, OW @ highest settings 1440p 120hz or better

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) No.
    Parts that can be reused: Starting from scratch.
    Do you need an OS? Yes (Windows 10)
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? I already have a mouse/keyboard/speakers I can use. I already have a 1080p 75hz Acer monitor but I wouldn't mind having a 2nd 1440p 20hz monitor if I can afford it (not a priority but keep this in mind when suggesting my GPU though).

Thank you.
    Last edited by bamf775; 2017-10-20 at 05:29 PM.

Intel:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RXbBXH
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RXbBXH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.89 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 HD3 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: *Crucial - Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($75.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: *EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($259.88 @ OutletPC)
    Case: BitFenix - Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.21 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $932.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-20 17:23 EDT-0400
    Ryzen:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TjCF7h
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TjCF7h/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.29 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: *G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($148.55 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($75.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: *Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini ITX OC Video Card ($379.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: BitFenix - Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $998.17
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-20 17:26 EDT-0400
    All of my builds are "basic" builds - a place to start. I dont default to SSD configurations, figuring you will actually need a decent amount of storage, so add an SSD if that is your thing. I DO default to SSHD Hybrid Drives, which offer SSD-like performance for the OS and frequently used applications, but still offer good storage.

Case is also subjective. I just try to pick a decent case to work in that isnt a million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Intel:

Ryzen:

All of my builds are "basic" builds - a place to start. I dont default to SSD configurations, figuring you will actually need a decent amount of storage, so add an SSD if that is your thing. I DO default to SSHD Hybrid Drives, which offer SSD-like performance for the OS and frequently used applications, but still offer good storage.

Case is also subjective. I just try to pick a decent case to work in that isnt a million dollars.
    I'm leaning towards the intel suggestion but it makes me sad that I have to settle for a gtx 1060. Is getting the newest CPU series really worth it right now? Is there any other "overclockable" intel chip I can get that performs just as good for half the cost so I can put that towards the GPU?

Hell, I hear that the i7-2600k can still game like a champ with the latest GPUs. Thoughts?
    Last edited by bamf775; 2017-10-20 at 10:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    I'm leaning towards the intel suggestion but it makes me sad that I have to settle for a gtx 1060. Is getting the newest CPU series really worth it right now? Is there any other "overclockable" intel chip I can get that performs just as good for half the cost so I can put that towards the GPU?

Hell, I hear that the i7-2600k can still game like a champ with the latest GPUs. Thoughts?
    no point getting a i5-8600k imo
    "settle" for a i5-7600k and save a bit there, it's a good cpu and should not bottleneck you even with a gtx 1070

you can use the saved money + the last bit to $1000 on getting a gtx 1070 which will give you a nice boost in performance
    Last edited by mmocc06943eaac; 2017-10-20 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post

It wold only put you slightly over budget to go with a GTX 1070.

See here:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XYFKf8
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XYFKf8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.89 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 HD3 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: *Crucial - Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: *Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini ITX OC Video Card ($379.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: *BitFenix - Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.21 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1052.82
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-20 18:26 EDT-0400
    I just put the 1060 in there because they are standard builds to meet certain price points (see here (many price points): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kagthul/saved/)

Slightly over at 1052 but probably worth it, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    no point getting a i5-8600k imo
    "settle" for a i5-7600k and save a bit there, it's a good cpu and should not bottleneck you even with a gtx 1070

you can use the saved money + the last bit to $1000 on getting a gtx 1070 which will give you a nice boost in performance
    ... if you're going to step down to a quad-core, why would you get the i5-7600K, when you could get the i3-8350K for the same or lower price and it will OC higher?

See here:

I just put the 1060 in there because they are standard builds to meet certain price points (see here (many price points): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kagthul/saved/)

- - - Updated - - -

... if you're going to step down to a quad-core, why would you get the i5-7600K, when you could get the i3-8350K for the same or lower price and it will OC higher?
    Oh ok, yea this looks solid. Thanks. I'll keep this for a reference

Deleted

See here:

- - - Updated - - -

good point
    straight up it should be the same performance if not slightly higher

the i5-8600k is obv better, but imo it would feel like a waste to invest in it with only a 1060 and 8 gigs of ram

good point
    the i5-8600k is obv better, but imo it would feel like a waste to invest in it with only a 1060 and 8 gigs of ram
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`

can we please, for fucks sake, stop with the "ZOMG ONLY 8GB OF RAM YOU WILL DIE" shit?

8GB is plenty. Even having as little as 4GB doesn't affect game performance at all.

Deleted

can we please, for fucks sake, stop with the "ZOMG ONLY 8GB OF RAM YOU WILL DIE" shit?

8GB is plenty. Even having as little as 4GB doesn't affect game performance at all.

8 GB is fine, but 16 GB would be optimal with no problems.

4 GB will bottleneck you very quick on modern games nowadays. A few examples, Shadow of war have 6 GB minimum, ARK have 8 GB minimum, PUBG have 6 GB Minimum, ESO have 4 GB minimum, so 4 GB would be out of the question if you want to go for high settings at 1080/1440 as it usually jumps up 2 GB when running at recommended/ high settings

the person above i also talking about wanting to maybe have a second monitor, which means he's likely the type of person who likes to multitask on his computer, running more than one or a few programs at a time while playing his games, in which case 8 GB is going to give him a few problems here and there depending on what game he's playing at the time. From personal experience i go over 8 GB and sit around 12 GB being used most of the time while using and playing on my computer.

16 GB would just be a very safe spot.
    Last edited by mmocc06943eaac; 2017-10-21 at 12:55 AM.

If you are going to drop back processors the i7 6700k is damn good. 7700k gets you all the bells and whistles. 8700 obviously is just newer.

Problem with going older is you have to find older motherboards and older chips and older memory and often you save little (could spend the same or more) for less proformance. I mean unless you are comfortable getting stuff that's likely been OCed for a decade, a bit behind the curve, and likely not save a ton of money in the process? Go for it.

Unless you know a reliable place for some legacy parts you trust.

8 GB is fine, but 16 GB would be optimal with no problems.

4 GB will bottleneck you very quick on modern games nowadays. A few examples, Shadow of war have 6 GB minimum, ARK have 8 GB minimum, PUBG have 6 GB Minimum, ESO have 4 GB minimum, so 4 GB would be out of the question if you want to go for high settings at 1080/1440 as it usually jumps up 2 GB when running at recommended/ high settings
    What the manufacturer puts on the box and how things actually work in real life often have nothing to do with each other.

the person above i also talking about wanting to maybe have a second monitor, which means he's likely the type of person who likes to multitask on his computer, running more than one or a few programs at a time while playing his games, in which case 8 GB is going to give him a few problems here and there depending on what game he's playing at the time. From personal experience i go over 8 GB and sit around 12 GB being used most of the time while using and playing on my computer.

16 GB would just be a very safe spot.
    You're using 12GB because you have it. If you didn't, it would simply dump stuff out of RAM that it currently isn't because it doesn't need to. If you dropped to 8GB of RAM, it would start dumping stuff that hadn't been used in a while. You wouldn't even notice.

here's Lathais' "Ram Link" wherein the "ZOMG MUST HAVE MORE RAMZ" is debunked:

https://www.techspot.com/article/104...ram/page3.html

Notice that there is little to no performance difference from 4 to 8 to 16GB. With huge numbers of tabs open and video running.

The only time you might notice a performance hit is if you are swapping stuff in and out of RAM so much and have a slow HDD. Otherwise.. you wont notice.

Seriously.

8GB of RAM is fine, and RAM prices are sky fucking high right now (literally twice as high as they were this time last year). If you're on a budget, get 8GB, call it a day, and another 8GB later if you need it.

15+ Year Old Account
    What the manufacturer puts on the box and how things actually work in real life often have nothing to do with each other.

You're using 12GB because you have it. If you didn't, it would simply dump stuff out of RAM that it currently isn't because it doesn't need to. If you dropped to 8GB of RAM, it would start dumping stuff that hadn't been used in a while. You wouldn't even notice.

here's Lathais' "Ram Link" wherein the "ZOMG MUST HAVE MORE RAMZ" is debunked:

https://www.techspot.com/article/104...ram/page3.html

Notice that there is little to no performance difference from 4 to 8 to 16GB. With huge numbers of tabs open and video running.

The only time you might notice a performance hit is if you are swapping stuff in and out of RAM so much and have a slow HDD. Otherwise.. you wont notice.

Seriously.

8GB of RAM is fine, and RAM prices are sky fucking high right now (literally twice as high as they were this time last year). If you're on a budget, get 8GB, call it a day, and another 8GB later if you need it.
    This, everyone needs to get off the 16Gb is the minimum...

ITS NOT!

OT: Good luck finding a Coffeelake chip atm, none to be found. Some places will have some on the 28th but they will be limited supply so unless you preorder have fun fighting the crowd.

And for gods sake dont go backwards, dont get a kabylake (7600k-7700k) chip. Now that hex core processors are becoming the norm...(thanks AMD)...games should start optimizing for more cores in the future, some already have.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    And for gods sake dont go backwards, dont get a kabylake (7600k-7700k) chip. Now that hex core processors are becoming the norm...(thanks AMD)...games should start optimizing for more cores in the future, some already have.
    Yes and no? Its pointless optimization, though. Those same games still get above 60fps at Ultra with a Dual-core Pentium G, so the extra frames are by and large pointless.

Its going to be another 4+ years before a Quad core even becomes the minimum.

But i agree with the "dont go backwards".

Buy a Coffee lake i3 if you want quad core.

Yes and no? Its pointless optimization, though. Those same games still get above 60fps at Ultra with a Dual-core Pentium G, so the extra frames are by and large pointless.

Its going to be another 4+ years before a Quad core even becomes the minimum.

But i agree with the "dont go backwards".

Buy a Coffee lake i3 if you want quad core.
    Ok what about something like this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8350K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.89 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($22.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($40.99 @ Best Buy)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA - B3 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $962.47
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-21 15:47 EDT-0400

I really want to keep it small and as portable as possible. I just sent back an AW17R4 with a gtx 1080 and i7 7820hk because I'm tired of laptops not being able to handle the load. But hopefully these ITX builds will help.

Looks ok, I'd invest in a better cooler tho, so you can squeeze out some performance. Maybe upgrade the memory if it's only a few extra bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Looks ok, I'd invest in a better cooler tho, so you can squeeze out some performance. Maybe upgrade the memory if it's only a few extra bucks.
    I agree with a better cooler. Try the Cryorig C7 or Noctuas low-profile design (i dont remember the name).

Also, id upgrade the PSU. 450w will run that system fine, but if you want to swap in a beefier GPU down the road, 450w may be a bit light. Go for a Seasonic M12II 520w. Its like, maybe 10$ more and is amuch better PSU.

As for the RAM - 8GB is fine, and with RAM prices so high, id just wait.