Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Why do people say Outlaw is a pirate?

Outlaw fits in more themes than pirates, like: Bandit, thief, path assaulter, mercenary, treasure hunter, pirate, etc... Simply, an outlaw.

Damn, did nobody never saw "El zorro"?

Aren't those all synonyms with... Pirate?

Edit: I've no clue what a "path assaulter" is.

Outlaw allows, but doesn't require a pirate theme. If it was supposed to be just a pirate, it would be called Buccaneer or something. "Outlaw" is intentionally broader. The "Outlaw" branch in the order/artifact systems does play up the pirate fantasy significantly, but that doesn't have to apply to player characters.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by AldoChat View Post
    Outlaw fits in more themes than pirates, like: Bandit, thief, path assaulter, mercenary, treasure hunter, pirate, etc... Simply, an outlaw.

It was very obviously designed with the fantasy of "Jack Sparrow-types" in mind. And while that can be taken to a broader spectrum of general guile, cunning, and debonair ruggedness, you can plainly see the pirate-heavy inspiration in a few abilities (e.g. Cannonball Barrage,) as well as the outlaw rogue spec being represented by a pirate character in your order hall, the scenario to get the artifact weapon being basically a pirate adventure, and the artifact weapons themselves having lore as cursed weapons used by various pirate captains.

Outlaw fits in more themes sure, but it was mainly inspired by one, and that's the pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkrypt View Post
    Aren't those all synonyms with... Pirate?

Edit: I've no clue what a "path assaulter" is.
    I think it's probably meant to be Highwayman. Perhaps an auto translator that missed that one or doesn't have the word.

Take a look at the skills like canonballbarrage and roll the bones. The outlaw boss Tethys is a pirate, he even has a parrot.
    Outlaw is a pirate.
    Subtlety is a ninja.
    Assassination is a poison psychopath.
    Dying could endanger your health!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creativlol View Post
    Take a look at the skills like canonballbarrage and roll the bones. The outlaw boss Tethys is a pirate, he even has a parrot.
    Outlaw is a pirate.
    Subtlety is a ninja.
    Assassination is a poison psychopath.
    He HAD a parrot it abandoned him during one of the class quests and the player has him it was pretty funny.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Deleted
    In Legion it's clearly pirate-themed but in previous expansions it had nothing to do with pirates. It's all very contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by AldoChat View Post

You mean aside of our main Order Hall representative being a pirate captain, "Roll the Bones" outcomes having buffs like "Jolly Roger" or "Shark Infested Waters"? Or talents like "Cannonball Barrage" and "Parley"? Artifact weapon being a cursed pirate saber?

Outlaw is a pirate because blizzard said that's the idea they wanted to go with. But calling it "pirate" would be weird, I guess.

Probably because Blizzard says so.

Exactly in the one of the interviews Ion said that Combat is going to be "swashbuckler/pirate type", when he was asked about class fantasy for rogue classes.

Outlaw is suppose to be a Swashbuckler, which covers everything from Zorro to Pirate.

5+ Year Old Account
    I appreciate your point of view guys, outlaw is very influenced by pirate themes, but by my point of view it should be more homogeneous (like combat was).

Anyway, I just tried to change the vision about it because is a bit cringy that some people call outlaw a pirate just for ridiculize it, but well... it's kinda pointless xD

PD: Thanks for the correction GreyIan, "path assaulter" is a litteral translation but now i know that the correct word is highwayman.

Quote Originally Posted by keskmaz View Post
    In Legion it's clearly pirate-themed but in previous expansions it had nothing to do with pirates. It's all very contrived.
    Really? Do tell of these pre-Legion Outlaw experiences you've had.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Really? Do tell of these pre-Legion Outlaw experiences you've had.
    Clearly he is reffering to combat, nothing more than that, please don't build a mountain from a grain of salt.

No one gave a crap about class fantasy back when outlaw was still combat. Unless you were on an RP server. Whenever I say Outlaw (the spec I main) is pirate spec it is with a healthy amount of derision and sarcasm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistakes View Post
    No one gave a crap about class fantasy back when outlaw was still combat. Unless you were on an RP server. Whenever I say Outlaw (the spec I main) is pirate spec it is with a healthy amount of derision and sarcasm.
    Class fantasy of Outlaw is perfect !
    Pirate ? Sure and i love it

Quote Originally Posted by keskmaz View Post
    TIL Outlaw existed before 7.0

Path assaulter? Hahaha. Nah, it's a pirate.

Cannonball Barrage
    Roll the Bones
    Parlay
    Pistol Shot
    Blunderbuss
    Run Through
    Saber Slash

all very piratey

I am sure they are others

quite obviously a pirate