Deleted

Brit who was sentenced to prison for 'touching man's hip' in Dubai arrives home!

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-10-25/j...ai-returns-uk/

Jamie Harron has been repatriated to the UK after being freed by authorities in Dubai for touching another man’s hip and drinking alcohol.

The 27-year-old from Stirling landed at Glasgow Airport on Tuesday, where he was met by his family.

Harron, who was accused accused of putting his hand on a man's hip to avoid spilling a drink in a crowded bar, was sentenced to three months in prison.

"It feels very good, I'm very happy to be home," he said.

Asked what was the first thing he would do when he got home he said: "Get in a good bed, it's been a total shambles.

"It's just total shock I feel. I get to sleep in my own bed because I've been sleeping on my mate's couch for three and half months. I can't believe it's been four months in total."

Harron was sentenced to three months imprisonment during a court appearance on Sunday, but the charges were dropped on Monday and his passport was returned.

Radha Stirling, chief executive of Campaign group Detained in Dubai, thanked Sheikh Mohammed for his personal intervention in the case.

"This was a courageous and honourable decision on the part of Sheikh Mohammed, and while it highlights the urgent need for judicial reform in the country, it is also a hopeful sign that the United Arab Emirates' leadership possesses the will and vision to pursue such reforms in the future" she said.

Harron, who had been working in Afghanistan, was on a two-day stopover in the UAE this summer when the incident occurred.

“I'm not going back in a hurry, but I would go back later on,” he said. “I think I've been caught up in a bad situation. I didn't see light at the end of the tunnel to be honest."
    Good thing he's finally home

Deleted
    100's of other expats still in the can there being subjected to appauling conditions, violence and rape for mundane or false accusations.

He got out because of the press.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a8016801.html

Good for him but next time he shouldnt cause trouble with his unnatural behavior. Always respect the culture of the country you visit (or atleast pretend you do).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Good for him but next time he shouldnt cause trouble with his unnatural behavior. Always respect the culture of the country you visit (or atleast pretend you do).
    What was unnatural

Deleted
    I find it funny because the place he's from isn't shy about running over peoples rights itself.

so next time spill the drink on the guy instead of touching his hip?

/facepalm

Bet if he accidentally touched a woman's hip instead under the same conditions OP would be screaming sexual assault

10+ Year Old Account
    The unnatural behaviour of trying to not spill a drink on someone?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll never understand the appeal of Dubai

There's a difference between disrespecting a culture and accidentally having a reflex that you've had ingrained in you for decades. Most people in his position would probably only realize what they just did AFTER it happened.

I feel like this situation was lose-lose.

If he didn't touch the other dude, then the drink would've spilled on him. If the drink spills on him, then he is probably going to be arrested for assault.

Either way, he is going to be subjected to irrational laws and most likely the same outcome.

This is just a grim reminder to have basic knowledge of the laws of countries you're visiting and respect them, whilst there.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

0 evidence his arrest had anything to do with touching another mans hip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afreekan Bruddah View Post
    If the drink spills on him, then he is probably going to be arrested for assault.
    Accidentally spilling a drink on someone constitutes assault where you're from? Sheesh.

And this guy wants to go back to Dubai... double sheesh. That place is the home of modern-day slavery.