Windows 10 updates

Hi Guys

I am on a limited data plan 25GB a month.

If I go over my 25GB limit then I get penalised for extra data .. $8 a GB

I recently updated to Windows 10. I took into account that there might be updates & left about 10GB on my plan spare for it.

Well I am now 5GB over my plan..Thats an extra $40 out of my pocket.

I know Windows downloads & updates are very important, but is there a way that you can hold of taking extra data from Windows until
    you are ready for it & within your limited plan.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you Woogs
    That is very helpful

I noticed today that Windows 10 just decided to reinstall the whole system and keep the old Windows in a Windows.old folder. Which naturally caused a disk space issue.

I'm not exactly sure how stupid Microsoft is, but if the C drive had run out of space, it could have caused me a significant problem, including data loss and downtime for services that I'm using for work. And it could kill my hardware, as SSD's which run out of space experience write amplification and could die very quickly.

I'm guessing if Microsoft breaks my hardware and my services, they will pay for the damage caused ? No ? Then why should be using a system that is constantly trying to sabotage me ?
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-10-23 at 07:35 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    I noticed today that Windows 10 just decided to reinstall the whole system and keep the old Windows in a Windows.old folder. Which naturally caused a disk space issue.

I'm not exactly sure how stupid Microsoft is, but if the C drive had run out of space, it could have caused me a significant problem, including data loss and downtime for services that I'm using for work. And it could kill my hardware, as SSD's which run out of space experience write amplification and could die very quickly.

I'm guessing if Microsoft breaks my hardware and my services, they will pay for the damage caused ? No ? Then why should be using a system that is constantly trying to sabotage me ?
    what size is your ssd?

10+ Year Old Account
    In the thousands and thousands of systems I've worked on, I've never seen windows 'just decide' to reinstall. While I'm not saying it's impossible, I doubt it did this without -some- help.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    In the thousands and thousands of systems I've worked on, I've never seen windows 'just decide' to reinstall. While I'm not saying it's impossible, I doubt it did this without -some- help.
    It does do it with Creators Updates, but the file can be deleted. This was from the Fall Creators Update recently.

Im curious as to what size SSD he is using for "work and services". If he is using a near full drive for his work computer then ...

I dont use anything less than a 500GB for my 2 work PCs
    Last edited by moremana; 2017-10-24 at 02:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    It does do it with Creators Updates, but the file can be deleted. This was from the Fall Creators Update recently.
    Yeah, that's .. completely different from reinstalling, though. Thats just the 'roll back to the old OS' option that deletes itself after ... 30 days I think
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Posters View Post
    Hi Guys

I am on a limited data plan 25GB a month.

If I go over my 25GB limit then I get penalised for extra data .. $8 a GB

I recently updated to Windows 10. I took into account that there might be updates & left about 10GB on my plan spare for it.

Well I am now 5GB over my plan..Thats an extra $40 out of my pocket.

I know Windows downloads & updates are very important, but is there a way that you can hold of taking extra data from Windows until
    you are ready for it & within your limited plan.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Set your connection up as a metered connection.

This is literally just so you can rollback to a previous version. It's been a thing since Windows XP. If your drive goes during an update it was probably fucked before and not their problem. You can remove those file by using the disk cleanup utility or wait a month.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2017-10-24 at 03:52 PM.

Doesn't matter what size SSD I have. Doesn't matter that I can delete the extra 30GB of data.

The fact is, Microsoft did something that can potentially lose my data and kill my hardware, all without asking me for permission. This is just not an OS for work anymore, it's an OS for playing games and watching Youtube.

Not to mention how massively stupid the update process is. It literally reinstalls your whole OS but keeps the data and the old Windows folder. So you have two Windows folders, which are more than 90% identical (I highly doubt they changed more than 10% of the OS in the latest update). So you end up with almost 30GB of wasted space, but who cares, Microsoft has a monopoly and they can do whatever they want. I'm sure that a company with $89 billion in revenue in 2017 could not find a way to incrementally update the system, without wasting the time, the space and the bandwidth of the users. Right ???
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-10-24 at 05:41 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It was the Fall Creators update. You agreed to these types of installations when you hit the "I Agree" button at install!

If you are on a limited connection, and you set the OS up right, it wouldnt have done it.

Windows is PnP, but when you install, its up to the user to make sure it is setup correctly.

MS is at no fault here. Your ranting is pointless and a waste of time, Im sure MS doesnt read this forum and no one here is going to agree with you and tell you you are right.

And...as a professional, you shouldn't be running you storage so close to full. It does matter what size SSD you have.

Install a mechanical drive and store all of your files on it, problem solved. here is a tutorial on installing user folders on a mechanical, and will free up precious space on your limited SSD. enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Yeah, that's .. completely different from reinstalling, though. Thats just the 'roll back to the old OS' option that deletes itself after ... 30 days I think
    I think he is mistaken, I would bet my user account it was the Creators Update.