15+ Year Old Account

[Prot] Combat Persists Through Death

So this has been happening to me constantly; it actually started around Patch 7.1.5.

Whenever I die in combat and release instantly (or within maybe 0.5 sec of death), every mob I still had aggro on will immediately break off from the remaining party members and run back to me at the nearest graveyard.

Obviously, this is usually horrible and results in even further death. Yesterday in timewalking Slave Pens, this actually resulted in a hilarious situation where the mobs alternated between evade-bugging for about 30 seconds and one-shotting party members after I released (there is a drop down section in the middle of Slave Pens so the mobs didn't have a path to me).

I've been waiting for nearly a year for this to be fixed, and I'm sick of waiting so I'm trying to figure out why this actually happens. I'm posting here in the Paladin section with the '[Prot]' tag because I believe that the common factor in these incidents is that I am tanking (as a Prot Paladin). Whenever other party members tank, this basically never happens (or extremely rarely). It could be Consecration, Blessed Hammer, or even one of my talents or legendaries at fault. Whatever it is, I'm really sick of it and looking for other people who also have this happen.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I've had something like this happen to me as Ret, oddly enough. You're somehow in a state of being alive before you're transported. Easiest fix would be to have it transport you first before actually reviving you.

Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    I've had something like this happen to me as Ret, oddly enough. You're somehow in a state of being alive before you're transported. Easiest fix would be to have it transport you first before actually reviving you.
    That bug has existed at least since Legion launch, maybe earlier. Especially noticeable if you or the server is lagging, where you can actually get killed again before you get teleported to the spawn point.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Mobs are being damaged by your leftover consecration still on the ground and aggroing to you when you release.
    Ltachilles
    <Forgotten Guardians>
    Area-52

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    That bug has existed at least since Legion launch, maybe earlier. Especially noticeable if you or the server is lagging, where you can actually get killed again before you get teleported to the spawn point.
    Yeah that bug is a little bit different than this particular bug (though it's possible they're related).

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles55 View Post
    Mobs are being damaged by your leftover consecration still on the ground and aggroing to you when you release.
    That really sucks considering how important Consecration is. I wonder if an addon can be created that tracks Consecration duration and blocks the 'Release' button from working until Consecration expires. I think it should be possible since you are dead at the time you'd need to block the button and therefore not in combat (and outside the bounds of the restricted Lua environment).

But having to create an addon to solve a Blizzard combat bug is ridiculous, not to mention the time lost in Mythic Plus dungeons by waiting before releasing.
    Last edited by Simca; 2017-10-23 at 09:13 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Yeah that bug is a little bit different than this particular bug (though it's possible they're related).

That really sucks considering how important Consecration is. I wonder if an addon can be created that tracks Consecration duration and blocks the 'Release' button from working until Consecration expires. I think it should be possible since you are dead at the time you'd need to block the button and therefore not in combat (and outside the bounds of the restricted Lua environment).

But having to create an addon to solve a Blizzard combat bug is ridiculous, not to mention the time lost in Mythic Plus dungeons by waiting before releasing.
    Yeah it's annoying and has happened to me many times. In the heat of the moment you aren't thinking "hey I should wait for consecration to expire". I think that would be a good idea though, or better yet Blizzard could fix the issue.
    Ltachilles
    <Forgotten Guardians>
    Area-52

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles55 View Post
    I liked my theory that Simca has some kind of evil wizard curse, but I guess this makes sense too.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by OrcinusDrake View Post
    It's consecration
    This. It can be a good or bad thing depending on the scenario.