Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

15 most influential websites, Time Magazine.

http://time.com/4960202/most-influential-websites/

Do you agree with these? Any left out you were surprised didn't make it? Any you think don't deserve to be here etc?

15. Match.com

14. Reddit

13. Pandora

12. Wikileaks

11. Piratebay

10. Info.cern.ch

09. eBay

08. Drudge Report

07. Yahoo

06. Craigslist

05. YouTube

04. Facebook

03. Wikipedia

02. Amazon

01. Google

Deleted
    Google, Wikipedia, Facebook in the top 5 was obvious. Cern but no US government sites seems wierd. Don't even know all the others. Lack of chinese sides at least strange.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Google, Wikipedia, Facebook in the top 5 was obvious. Cern but no US government sites seems wierd. Don't even know all the others. Lack of chinese sides at least strange.
    You don't know the others? That seems weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    And here I thought google was a search engine

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    That and no MMO champ on the top 15?! Blasphemous!

Google Sites is a structured wiki- and Web page-creation tool offered by Google as part of the G Suite productivity suite. The goal of Google Sites is for anyone to be able to create a team-oriented site where multiple people can collaborate and share files.

Didn't know Yahoo was still a thing. Used to use their e-mail as a kid. Didn't know people put up with their ad-crazed website anymore :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Do you agree with these? Any left out you were surprised didn't make it? Any you think don't deserve to be here etc?
    I don't agree with it. It's impossible to miss mmo-champion and have some sinister websites like facebook there.

And Piratebay? Really? This site became a honeypot a whole decade ago. Why is it still in that list?

The first few sure.. but whoever put your gran's blong on that list (yahoo).. yeah no. Craigslist and Drudge Report are a clear American bias as well. Barely anyone outside of the US (and maybe canada) cares about those. Also why is the cern site on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The first few sure.. but whoever put your gran's blong on that list (yahoo).. yeah no. Craigslist and Drudge Report are a clear American bias as well. Barely anyone outside of the US (and maybe canada) cares about those. Also why is the cern site on that?
    It's obviously a list from americans, for americans. "15 most influential" where only 90% US sites can compete. Same with the "World cup" where only american teams can participate. It's adorable, but the rest of the world views it more as a participation award.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given that it's a list of the 15 most influential websites over the past 25 years, I'd agree with most of the sites on there. Perhaps excepting the Drudge Report.

And the Cern website, for those that pontificate without actually reading the copy, was the first website, created by Sir Tim Berners-Lee when he created the Web. So yeah, it most certainly deserves a spot on the list.
    Last edited by Sar-; 2017-10-23 at 07:00 AM.

Whats drudge report D:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

A search engine which influences most of the web pages people visit because of where they appear on the list.

It's a website that hosts a search engine...

Quote Originally Posted by Sar of Gnomeregan View Post
    And the Cern website, for those that pontificate without actually reading the copy, was the first website, created by Sir Tim Berners-Lee when he created the Web. So yeah, it most certainly deserves a spot on the list.
    That depends entirely on how you define your criteria for influential. They could have put lycos and aol on the list as well because at some point in time they were relevant. Personally I'd take that more as honorable mention or some pitty points.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Whats drudge report D:
    Some right wing news-blog afaik.

If they are going to go with the last 25 years, Microsoft needs something as for a while everyone I knew used MSN Messenger...

Also not sure why the piratebay is up there...before torrents I liked ISOnews (I wonder if anyone knows that site?) which made the mistake of being hosted where the US government could take possession of it.

Also if you are going last 25 years, probably need AOL on there as they were a thing for a long time.

I don't want to write an essay, but when they say "influential" I guess I wouldn't add about half the sites they have listed. And as someone said, these are all American sites...

No 4chan? 10chars

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Themanintobuildafire View Post
    If they are going to go with the last 25 years, Microsoft needs something as for a while everyone I knew used MSN Messenger...

Also not sure why the piratebay is up there...before torrents I liked ISOnews (I wonder if anyone knows that site?) which made the mistake of being hosted where the US government could take possession of it.

Also if you are going last 25 years, probably need AOL on there as they were a thing for a long time.

I don't want to write an essay, but when they say "influential" I guess I wouldn't add about half the sites they have listed. And as someone said, these are all American sites...
    More than two decades old, The Drudge Report hits a new traffic high. It's an astonishing feat of longevity. ... For the first time, The Drudge Report moved into second place on Similar Web's top U.S. Media Publisher rankings, placing just behind MSN.com with about 1.47 billion page view for the month of July.Aug 15, 2016

You would think MSN.com would be there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    No 4chan? 10chars
    He's just a hacker not a webpage.

Deleted
    Time magazine still exists? I thought they went out of business years ago

What bigger influence can you have other than enabling people to find literally anything on the internet? Without Google, 90% of the internet would be unknown.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post
    Didn't know Yahoo was still a thing. Used to use their e-mail as a kid. Didn't know people put up with their ad-crazed website anymore :P
    You do visit this page right? Without ad block this site can bend a fiber internet connection to its knees on the right days. I used to refer to it as "hot pink day". Thankfully it motivated me to get ad block on everything.