Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Movies] SAMSON 2018

Independent Christian studio PURE|FLIX will be releasing a film based on the story of Samson the Nazarite from the Hebrew/Christian Bible (the Book of Judges, specifically). The titular character is played by Taylor James, who will have a bit part in the forthcoming Justice League film as an Atlantean soldier. The film also stars Rutger Hauer, Billy Zane and Lindsay Wagner (the original Bionic Woman).

I find this interesting because no cinematic or television version of this story has been 100% authentic. Most fall far short. The best chance of an accurate retelling of the story in a movie would most likely come from an independent Christian studio like this one. This may sound strange coming from a Christian to some of you, but I hope the film depicts Samson as the lecherous, egotistical, volatile-tempered person that he is in the Bible. That's important to the story. Samson was a powerful judge who ultimately had to be brought low in order to fulfill his assignment.

- - - Updated - - -

For those interested in the story of Samson, here is Pastor John MacArthur's analysis of the stories of Gideon and Samson and how their stories relate to each other.

Oh, Billy Zane and Rutger Hauer careers still circling the drain. Looks a lot worse than The Rock's Hercules... and that was a 6/10 movie. And you don't see 'pastors' analyzing the bro stories of Hercules and Iolaus
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-10-30 at 02:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a Hollywood production, so it's not a good idea to compare it to one. This film has a different audience in mind, also.

No Brook Samson Movie... /sad face

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Hilarious stuff. I love when religious folk try to turn their beliefs into comic book movies.
    Considering the story of Samson predates comic book movies, I'd say it's more likely to be the other way around.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Samson seems like an odd story to make a movie. Wonder if they will do more wouldn’t mind seeing some bible story’s turned into movies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    What has always confused me is why Christians seem to be fine with gratuitous violence but sex is somehow taboo.
    Not Christian but I prefer neither unless they add to the story which most of the time they don’t.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    What has always confused me is why Christians seem to be fine with gratuitous violence but sex is somehow taboo.
    Not only christians, look at the Quran and the muslims my friend :-)

Is this the proper R rated version?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The big difference is one acknowledges it's a load of bullshit and the other thinks they're making movies based on real events and people. Making films like this and then attempting to profit off your faith is a bit insane. I guess they didn't study their religion very much though...
    That's not nice. Plus there's a whole Christian film industry out there that's thriving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Is this the proper R rated version?
    Considering the story, it probably should be. The actually story of Samson isn't exactly kid-friendly. Attempts to make it so in the past have diluted those versions.
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-10-30 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    That's not nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering the story, it probably should be. The actually story of Samson isn't exactly kid-friendly. Attempts to make it so in the past have diluted those versions.
    Reality is usually not very nice.
    I think comparing this to comic books and greek/egyptian/roman mythology/action movies is fair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Reality is usually not very nice.
    It's not "reality" that making films based on one's faith is insane or forbidden by said faith... which is what Vegas82 said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    I think comparing this to comic books and greek/egyptian/roman mythology/action movies is fair.
    Sure, that's fair. Just keep in mind that it's not a Hollywood film by design. We've seen what happens when Hollywood tries to make Biblical films these days... as in "Exodus: Gods & Kings" and "Noah."

7+ Year Old Account
    That's not nice. Plus there's a whole Christian film industry out there that's thriving.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there really a big Christian film indrusty? Can’t say I’ve heard of any Christian movie other then like god’s not dead but that’s only because fedora tipping atheist tend to talk about them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am still awaiting a good King Arthur movie... Every variation that had come out has come across so forced to be hip or edgy.

I think the only thing thats come close to a good King Arthur retelling is the Merlin series with Sam Neil from the late 90's :P

So if you get a good Samspon movie, good enough... I wont hold my breath though, Just look at all those Hercules movies
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-10-30 at 06:45 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Is there really a big Christian film indrusty?
    I didn't say "really big" I said "thriving." Between Veggie Tales, Sherwood Pictures, Pure|Flix and Affirm Films there's certainly a presence. It flies under the radar of a lot of pop culture aficionados, but evangelical Christians are aware of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    So if you get a good Damspon movie, good enough... I wont hold my breath though, Just look at all those Hercules movies
    I realize that people who don't know anything about the Biblical Samson are going to attempt to draw comparisons between he and Hercules... but that's a mistake. Sure, at first glance they are strong prehistoric guys, but they are worlds apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say "really big" I said "thriving." Between Veggie Tales, Sherwood Pictures, Pure|Flix and Affirm Films there's certainly a presence. It flies under the radar of a lot of pop culture aficionados, but evangelical Christians are aware of them.

- - - Updated - - -

I realize that people who don't know anything about the Biblical Samson are going to attempt to draw comparisons between he and Hercules... but that's a mistake. Sure, at first glance they are strong prehistoric guys, but they are worlds apart.
    Oh I am not comparing, I am well aware the differences, but when I look at these legends be it Arthur, Moses, Samson or Hercules, very rarely there has been anything good when he comes to adaptions

Thats the point I am making
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Ah I remember I used to have a bunch of veggie tales movies they were great. Well I hope they make more biblical movies even if I’m not chrisintan I still find the story’s really interesting and would go see them in theatrers.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I am not comparing, I am well aware the differences, but when I look at these legends be it Arthur, Moses, Samson or Hercules, very rarely there has been anything good when he comes to adaptions

What about prince of Egypt?

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, as I said I think the best chance there is for a Biblical film to be authentic and good are if it's produced by a Christian studio. I just don't think it's in Hollywood's DNA to do that (especially in light of their current scandals).

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    It's not a Hollywood production, so it's not a good idea to compare it to one. This film has a different audience in mind, also.
    That is why I will skip it.

Cant wait till The Cinema snob reviews this one.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Yeah, Christians love to watch crap that promotes their religion. I mean look at that shitty God's not Dead movie it was so popular with them they made a second one which was even more ridiculous than the first one. I mean look at it's rating on Amazon 14,000 reviews and a 4.5 rating and it's one of the most ridiculous films I've ever watched 5 minutes of.