Thread: Kitten Advice.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The most important thing is to be patient. Purchase a variety of toys with different textures and see which one your kitten prefers. Be sure to cover up any wires as best you can, too. Sprays are hit and miss since they don't always deter a kitten/cat. Many grow out of the habit of chewing on wires, it's just a matter of time. When you first get a kitten, for instance, they usually don't know that their claws are sharp and risk hurting their owners. It takes time and patience yet slowly but surely they learn not to get their claws out when playing with their owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Any advice on how to get a kitten to stop chewing on cords? Bitter apple spray doesn't seem like much of a deterrent, unless I apply it every hour or so. Also telling him "no" + removing him from the cords is ineffective.

Bought cord covers and he chews on those, too.

Obligatory pics here: https://imgur.com/gallery/FAiny

He's four months.
    Great pics i love it when dogs and cats are friends, that's amazing with animals any kind of animals can be friends, lion and pig, bird and cat etc etc all goes in the animal kingdom.

Kittens grow up so fast though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just a spray bottle of water doesn't work?
    I'm surprised. Has always worked for me.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Provide him with better alternative chewy things in the area he chewing on cords. Also play with him til he is exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    The most important thing is to be patient. Purchase a variety of toys with different textures and see which one your kitten prefers. Be sure to cover up any wires as best you can, too. Sprays are hit and miss since they don't always deter a kitten/cat. Many grow out of the habit of chewing on wires, it's just a matter of time. When you first get a kitten, for instance, they usually don't know that their claws are sharp and risk hurting their owners. It takes time and patience yet slowly but surely they learn not to get their claws out when playing with their owners.
    This. Except you have to train them to not use their claws. If they care about your well being, you can simple cry out in pain when they hit you with their claws(even if it doesn't hurt). Same works for dogs that mouth on you a little too hard.

I think it's important to NOT spray your cat with water or even use a can of air. This will only psychologically damage the cat to be scared of you.

The people suggesting oils need to be careful. Some of them are deadly to cats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    This. Except you have to train them to not use their claws. If they care about your well being, you can simple cry out in pain when they hit you with their claws(even if it doesn't hurt). Same works for dogs that mouth on you a little too hard.

I think it's important to NOT spray your cat with water or even use a can of air. This will only psychologically damage the cat to be scared of you.

The people suggesting oils need to be careful. Some of them are deadly to cats.
    Yeah, my cat learned not to use her claws when playing with me simply due to me consistently stating 'ouch' in a firm manner and then immediately putting an end to the play session. I've never liked the idea of using spray bottles as a deterrent. If a child is misbehaving then no logical person would get out a bottle of water and spray them with it. It would be considered cruel and lead to upset.

People also need to remember that cats are - by their very nature - rather playful and mischievous. They are, however, also perfectly capable of being extremely loyal and loving. It's a myth that cats only care about themselves. Every single cat that I have raised has been loyal and loving - a lot of people are just very impatient with cats.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    To me it's, do you want a toddler (dog), or that uncle who doesn't give a fuck (cat).
    Who turns up to the family party drunk off his ass and takes a piss in a potted plant?

Pretty good analogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

First of all you need to understand one thing about cats, as do most of the posters here. They are amoral. You can teach a dog right and wrong but a cat works differently. You can teach a cat to not jump on tables by giving it a light punishment but the problem is that it will only follow this rule when you are there as it can not understand right and wrong.

To get a cat to totally stop doing something you need to get it to associate the behavior with the punishment. If you use a squirt bottle, do NOT yell no as you squirt water on the cat as this only adds you into the equation. The less attention you call to yourself while punishing a cat the better off you will be.

Here's what to do:

LINK

Deleted
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8fwtkC5UJU

Just wire a few cables up to something like that and let it nibble away.

very good cord protectors, sprays and a pop on the bottom. When my Tiger was a kitten that got him away from cords / jumping on the counters. However I lost the battle on getting him to stop chewing on min-blinds. he is now almost 16 years old and still does it....
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Get some toys so he or she chew and scratch.

Tell the cat that if it doesn't stop chewing on the cords you're going to drop it off at the local chinese restaurant.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Get a spray-botte, fill it with lemon-water, and watch it like a hawk. Give it a solid spray whenever it touches a cord. Or the tinfoil thing. Mine didn't give a crap about that though, he'd just scratch it until it was atomized...

Ot distract it with string toys. It might be bored.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Yeah, my cat learned not to use her claws when playing with me simply due to me consistently stating 'ouch' in a firm manner and then immediately putting an end to the play session. I've never liked the idea of using spray bottles as a deterrent. If a child is misbehaving then no logical person would get out a bottle of water and spray them with it. It would be considered cruel and lead to upset.

People also need to remember that cats are - by their very nature - rather playful and mischievous. They are, however, also perfectly capable of being extremely loyal and loving. It's a myth that cats only care about themselves. Every single cat that I have raised has been loyal and loving - a lot of people are just very impatient with cats.
    I don't like 'punishment only' solutions either tbh...but sometimes it's what works. Some cats are just assholes and chew things they're not supposed to...because they like doing it. If distraction or basic protection doesn't work, you need more persuasive methods. Doesn't mean the cat overall is an asshole, most aren't, but they very much have their own opinions and personalities on certain subjects, and sometimes they're not...house-friendly.

Deleted
    I usually went "Oi <Cat name> No!" and pushed it away. Not in an aggressive way, but a way that shows it's not supposed to be there/doing that.

Keeping your cords and cats separated works wonders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't help because squash likes to chew on my 250 dollar anime figures ;_;

Deleted
    Check out that Animal Planet series 'my cat from hell' or somethign like that, there might be exact same problem solved there.

I assume dogs and cats are similar when they are puppies/kitties.

Here is our 10 week old border collie (click for larger)

He is an outside dog, but, he also bites and chews on anything. He's taken to training really well and even though we've only had him for two weeks, he will sit on command, as well as "drop" (lay down). He is getting better about biting since we don't praise him if he does something we don't like. But I don't know how cats process things like ignoring/not playing as a punishment.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Any advice on how to get a kitten to stop chewing on cords? Bitter apple spray doesn't seem like much of a deterrent, unless I apply it every hour or so. Also telling him "no" + removing him from the cords is ineffective.

Bought cord covers and he chews on those, too.

Obligatory pics here: https://imgur.com/gallery/FAiny

He's four months.
    Generally cats don't like citrus smells. You can test and see how the kitten reacts to different smells of citrus. You could then spray the cords/areas with this if the kitten doesn't like it. This doesn't always work. The four I have their reactions to it are run away, smack at it then run away, cower then avoid it, to looking at you like what are you doing stupid human but then he leaves the area.

To the cats there is a difference too in lemon, orange, lime, grapefruit, etc smell. Just have to experiment with what works better.