Poll: What’s your policy when it comes to loaning people you know money?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll buy you something, and if I do I won't expect that money back. But as for giving actual money, I generally don't. My immediate family is doing okay so they don't need loans. And I'm not really in a position to fund them either.

I can see me loaning a friend money for a computer part that I really wanted them to have, but I would say nothing over the cost of say, a 1080ti.

If its for something I have no interest in, or to a relative stranger, I'll loan 20 bucks just to see if I get paid back.

I would also loan my siblings money for bills and whatnot, but here is the thing.

Any money I ever loan, I don't expect to get paid back. I will tell the person I expect them to pay me back, but when I give out money I look at it as lost, and it's a bonus if somehow I ever get it back. That's also why I never loan money I can't afford to lose, and I never loan money to someone who didn't pay me back the first time.

I don't loan. Unless the person asking is willing to pay me what others have left unpaid before.

The tab is 900 at the moment.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2017-11-03 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I just give money away. I don't really mind.
    hit & run posting lol

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have loaned money many times to friends and family. Anywhere from $20-$1500. My basic logic and you MUST treat it as a gift. If they pay me back, awesome! If not, it cannot be more than the amount of money that would cause me problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clara pacta boni amici. Only lend money to a worthwhile few and only for a good reason. The sum isn't that important but deadlines absolutely have to be met.
    "Alas, how terrible is wisdom when it brings no fortune to the wise"

I just give them the money and tell them not to pay me back. I give them like half of what they asked for.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

There is no good way to do it. If you try to make a formal contract with people you know that's going to be off putting and could strain your friendship. If you try to call it in then its likely also going to strain the friendship.

If you have it just give them the money. If they're good friends they'll pay it back without you having to ask. If they legit can't pay it back (some people just don't have excess disposable income) then they'll probably try to help you out in other ways.

If you don't have it to give then try to help them as best you can.

Do not lend or borrow from friends. It just gets messy.

Yea most my friends aren't crappy bums.

I'd probably still loan money to the ones that are crappy bums though if it seemed reasonable to me.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

The problem is that family members/friends tend to say "loan" when they actually mean "gift".

I do not loan money to others, nor do I ask for it myself. I don't even take loans from banks... well, I say "don't even", but they're crooks in suits anyway.

If someone needs help due to being burdened with bills and having shit finances, I'll bring them practical stuff rather than money. I've seen enough "Lyxfällan" (Luxury trap) with people loaning money to "pay bills" yet spending it on consumption of unnecessary crap...

Very close friends and family only, I don't trust anyone else. And even then, it greatly depends on the amount.

I buy friends and family (friends and family I like/love) lunch or dinner all the time though. I grew up with a kind of friends don't keep a tab on stuff like that kind of mentality. The friendship/ relationship is worth more to me than dinner.

I've lent money to my in-laws before, but that was a very dire situation and it took them a very long time to pay it all back.

I think it was my own father who told me when I was much younger to not loan money to people that I wasn't willing to make a gift. I think he's dead right on that. Many people, even friends and family may have difficulty paying money back even if the desire is there. And if you can't be willing to let that go you will lose the money, your friendship, or both. It's usually better to just avoid that whole mess.

No, I never loan money. I fact, I don't walk around with cash in my wallet for that purpose, so when someone asks me for a dollar or if I can loan them a couple bucks until payday for gas, I simply tell them I only carry plastic.

Loaning people money never works out, because if you loan them money and they don't pay you back you are forced to become a leg breaker/ball buster or you look like a wuss. And then people will refer to you as the guy who gave so and so some cash and never got it back. Would suck even more if you loaned someone you work with cash.

Fuck that.

Only lend money that you can afford to lose.

If someone asks and i can spare it i usually give it, i just don't expect it back.

Only close friends and it depends what it's for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I am disgusted about loans myself and only ask for a loan when needed to the point of lacking food.

If other people ask me of a loan, I tend to decline depending on what the problem is. If it is in some cases, food, then I'll offer to bring a bag of food as I tend to be quite.. what is the term... When you literally hunt for the best offers to try and save money even though you don't need to? I rather help with a purpose than give money.
    Do you mean frugal?

10+ Year Old Account
    My personal policy on loaning friends or family money is never ever loan them money unless you can completely afford to never see that money again.
    If i was riding a donkey down the road. And someone threw a rock and knocked me off. Would i be stoned off my ass?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Do you mean frugal?
    I think that is the word, yeah. Hehe.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Immediate family only unless it is a friend I have know for 20+ years

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't fuck around.

They always go ask someone else for money when I start giving them payment plan options.