Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post

You're just looking like a toddler whining because he can't admit he's wrong.
    This is frankly embarassing.
    Continue to grasp at straws. You're the one being ridiculous and refusing facts. No matter, whatever drivel you may repeat I have reality on my side, both on the fact I played from day 1 and the FACT that I never was out of quest to level up, even when purposely avoiding dungeon and rested XP.

Continue to wallow in ignorance, I'm tired trying to educate you.
    Sorry, but I know how you like to stamp your feet and claim that your bullshit is real, its a common trend nowadays, but it makes it no more right or productive. You can carry on having your quite absurd tantrum as long as you want, your increasingly hysterical comments on these boards just show your gradual unspooling from all reason and rationality.

Your inability to accept that any experience other than your own, even if for a moment I were to grant that your was as you depict, can be valid. it usually the sign of a small and ignorant mind, the idea you know everything and that your experience in universal, its always sad to see it, and I have nothing by sympathy for you and your mental state.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Unless it's been answered:

Ignite was shared across mages, the first mage to get an ignite streak "rolling", would get all the damage that it would produce until the debuff fell off (and also all the threat). That's why there is usually 1 mage well above the others on damage meters, he got most of the rolling ignites. It wasn't that big of a deal as no damage was really gained or lost, the unfinished ticks still rolled over into the total debuff damage, but it was a big deal if you didn't want to pull aggro.
    You got most of it right. It was a 5 stack debuff. The first 5 crits set the damage on the debuff. The damage would not change afterthe 5 stack as long as a mage in the group crit. So if your mages got 5 fireball crits and no scorch or fire blast critthe ignite was huge. Scorch was a faster cast and had a higher crit chance so once you had a 5 stack some guilds had a mage spam scorch to keep the crits going and keep the ignite up. Because it all went to the first mage who crit damage all mages needed to watch that mages threat to know when to let it drop as to not pull agro with that mage. Took a lot of coordination on certain fights by the mages actually communicating and working together.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by idunnowatdo View Post
    What was the population of 2h enh shaman like? Everyon brags about itbut the vanilla people I’ve asked have told me they’ve were few and far between. MOre like a gimmick
    It was a spec that near nobody wanted in their group for pve activities. In vanilla, everybody expected you to be resto. and as a dps, you needed cc in 5man. The more the better so mage/rogue/hunters were better options and not hard to find. Also as an enha you wanted the hunter gear (because itemisation was shit, look at the chaman vanilla tier sets) so hunters (who had cc) didnt want an enha in his group. maybe I forgot other things of this kind that made them less popular.

If you are lucky enough to get a raid spot, you are a support in a full melee group, (as your totems only affect your group) so you are asked to cut your dps to buff the group. You go WF totem (useless for you as you already have a personal buff for your weapon) instead of agi totem because WF is so OP for warriors and rogues in your group. Your interupt is tied to one of the few dps spells you have, earth shock, all your shocks are on the same cd and you have to keep it to interupt.
    Again maybe I forget things people were not likely to do even at that time.

The fact that chaman was horde only also helped to make the spec few and far between.

To play melee with a 2H, warrior was a better option to get pve spots. No reason to bring a third enha over a 6th rogue or warrior in a 40 raid, and there is an army of rogues'n'warriors asking for that spot.

2h enha chaman was for pvp, and it was overpowered. So much that blizz didnt even try to fix it and just buried it for ever.
    Target a cloth class, hit purge then stormstrike. if windfury triggers, the target is dead. And if my memory is good, if purge actually removed a buff off the target (like priest/mage shields) it felt like the WF proc was guarantee.
    So much skills needed that I thought I was a beast on BG, mouse clicking the spells on my bar...

2h enh is like a trauma for blizzard (and ally players). Every time someone asked about it, the answer was always "we do not plan to" or "not anytime soon". Dual weild for enha came with the BC pre patch, so every enha had a 2h until then. The epic 2h mace from alterac was so common at the end of vanilla that blizzard made a joke grey item at TBC with a slightly different name.
    Last edited by mmoc051d140155; 2017-11-21 at 01:34 PM.

Updated the rolling ignites, the shaman stuff, and the fact that interrupts weren't all off the GCD.

I think some of the interrupts cost rage and energy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    It's amazing how much nostalgia can do. It can even make Blizzard create proper Vanilla servers. Gonna be fun to see people realize one month in how fucking dreadful it is (which doesn't mean it was dreadful back then, it was fucking revolutionary).
    So that's why hundreds of thousands players play vanilla WoW private servers, and hundreds of thousands more want to play it but don't want a half buggy server with no real support and your toon deleted at the next drama stop.

Okeeey.

I've read through a few pages and one thing that no-one seems to have mentioned yet is that each server would only let you create characters of one faction. If you rolled Horde on one server, you could only create horde characters on that server and visa-versa.

Love this list by the way, great work.

Someone did mention it...but can you roll on both factions now on PvP servers?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Someone did mention it...but can you roll on both factions now on PvP servers?
    Yes you can

Quote Originally Posted by snowy42 View Post
    I've read through a few pages and one thing that no-one seems to have mentioned yet is that each server would only let you create characters of one faction. If you rolled Horde on one server, you could only create horde characters on that server and visa-versa.

Love this list by the way, great work.
    That was only true for PvP servers. You could create both Alliance and Horde on PvE ones.
    (though it might have changed during the lifetime of the game, my memories are fuzzy on it, as I never bothered with Horde and has no occasion to actually test it)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    You got most of it right. It was a 5 stack debuff. The first 5 crits set the damage on the debuff. The damage would not change afterthe 5 stack as long as a mage in the group crit. So if your mages got 5 fireball crits and no scorch or fire blast critthe ignite was huge. Scorch was a faster cast and had a higher crit chance so once you had a 5 stack some guilds had a mage spam scorch to keep the crits going and keep the ignite up. Because it all went to the first mage who crit damage all mages needed to watch that mages threat to know when to let it drop as to not pull agro with that mage. Took a lot of coordination on certain fights by the mages actually communicating and working together.
    I think you mix two things together here. The 5 Stacks increasing damage was improved scorch. One mage had to cast one scorch every 30 seconds.

Ignite was just a flat % of your crits addet as dot damage. Rolling Ignite was that the recent crits didn't overwrite the last, but instead the kept Ignite rolling with a new value.

And then there was the rolling ignite "bug", if you had more than 1 fire mage in your raid. Since there was only one ignite Debuff on the boss, all fire mages shared that debuff. I don´t remember if the first or the most recent crit made you owner of the ignite, but only one mage "owned" the ignite debuff and therefore got all damage and threat to his name.

Neither rolling Ignite nor improved scorch took a lot of coordination.

Deleted
    I cant find it on the list, I think you should talk about vanilla addons. At that time they were allowed to do stuff you can get permaban for if you do it on retail. The classic addon thread is very interesting and relevant for the topic, as I really dont think blizzard will allow back stuff like the old decursive and other automated actions.

And stuff like macros. You dont play vanilla warrior without a whole bunch of macros, like the stance dance when you need to swap weapons to use a shield in defensive stance and other... blizzard added some of them in the base line spells and tweaked other spells and mechanics so you dont have to use scripts to be able to play warrior efficiently.

Deleted
    Good post from OP, quite enjoyed reading it. However being someone who did raiding in Vanilla I can say that the time it took to clear MC+BWL and most of AQ40 really got shorter and shorter as the guild got better gear. I mean sure we did raid for months and I don't have any exact memories of how long each tier took, but it was pretty brutal as for most guilds. But by the time Naxx came around the top dps, tanks and most of the healers all had really good gear and we would clear MC + BWL in one night, and I think it all depended on how fast we actually cleared it but most of the time we would go and clear up to Twins in AQ40 or maybe quit a little bit earlier but considering that stupid ass tunnel leading to Twins was so shit if my memory serves me right we would leave that for the next raid, in case something went pearshaped and we wiped on Twins.

We also had alt-raids in MC when everyone was horribly overgeared for it. So we would do two raids in MC each week, with roughly 50% mains and 50% alts. The purpose of that was getting Bindings for TF, speaking of which we only ever got one TF in the guild and that was actually during BWL progress times. We also only got one Sulfuras, warrior that left the guild months later, and one Ashkandi to another warrior that actually used his and didn't leave the guild but it was still frustrating as hell. We had 2-3 CTS drop, 0 Misplaced Servo-Arm's. I could go on, but we managed to kill Thaddius, and I actually took a break before TBC when we hit Loatheb because the farming for that boss was fucking real as never before. I mean I used to do nightly runs for Whipper Roots and NDBs in Felwood, I used to farm the 4 Fire elementals in Arathi for firepots, I used to crawl around Silithus caves for Arcane Crystals - but running Scarlet Graveyard for gravemoss was so damn depressing I simply said "Look, I'm gonna take a break and we'll see eachother in TBC." and had a blast killing everyone in BG's with my phat ass gear for the remainder of Vanilla. And I know I know, Naxxramas would have been really pushovery with the guild we had and the TBC talents but everyone was actually pretty damn tired of raiding by the end of Naxxramas and I was not the only one taking a step back. Good times though.

Deleted
    I almost forgot how much hate I received for rolling on cloth gear during TBC on my shaman (or later Xpacks even, it outweighed stupid bonus for all mail).

The only reason I got away with it is because I was competing with pure dps classes in a lot of cases so my raidleaders overruled the outcry of mages and warlocks. Not every guild was that understanding of the game though.

15+ Year Old Account
    A few inaccuracies:

- Paladins got Librams to fill the ranged slot.
    - Your "Retribution" talent tree is completely inaccurate.
    - PvP spec: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxxuMZZVfxtrcqo
    - PvE (below hit cap): http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxx0bZxhZxfctbcqo
    - PvE (above hit cap): http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxxubZZvfctbcqo
    - Linked auction houses were added to all faction capitals in patch 1.9.
    - Gadgetzan also had a bank.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

survival hunters end-talent pre-1.7.
    if you think your classes have had some bad spells, then you have never encountered this.

probably the worst talent/spell ever made, and the only merit it had was being capable of denying rogues stealth and being immune to all despells.
    you really felt fucked when you realised it didn't do 103 damage per second for 21 seconds, but did 103 damage OVER 21 seconds.

fucking lacerate man.
    Last edited by freezion; 2017-11-22 at 11:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    It really baffles me to see so many people being so thoroughly malicious about something they don't have to touch. If you're not interested in vanilla, why are you here complaining about others that do...?
    My theory is that they're scared people will have fun on the vanilla server. That they know, deep down, how shallow the game is now, and they're terrified that they're going to have their faces rubbed in how this thing they put so much of their lives into is really just a pale shadow of what it used to be. Even if that's not true, they think it is. That somehow people having fun with vanilla will invalidate their own experience.
    Impeach the MF.

There was (were) no:
    --Flight (besides flight paths, which dismounted you at each stop)
    --Jumping while mounted
    --Dual-specs
    --Death Knights, Monks, or Demon Hunters
    --Draenei, Blood Elves, Pandaren, Worgen, or Goblins
    --Alliance Shamans or Horde Paladins
    --Jewelcrafting, Inscription, or Archaeology
    --Outland, Northrend, Pandaria, Draenor, Broken Isles
    --Cataclysm zones (Hyjal/Vashj'ir/Twilight Highlands/Deepholm/Uldum)
    --Cinematics
    --In-game “cinematics” (e.g. The ones they used to introduce the villains in the opening to Warlords)
    --World Quests or the pop-up dialog boxes for world quests
    --LFG
    --LFR
    --Arenas
    --Any battlegrounds besides WSG, AB, and AV
    --Difficulty levels
    --Flexible raid sizes
    --Multi-tagging or AoE loot
    --Bank access anywhere but capital cities and Booty Bay (and maybe Everlook)
    --Guild banks
    --Barber Shops
    --Dungeon Maps
    --Cross-realm or bind-on-account anything. Battlegrounds, friends, heirlooms, nada.
    --Auction Houses outside of Ironforge, Orgrimmar, or Gadgetzan
    --Server transfers
    --Transmog
    --Bloodlust / Heroism
    --Enchanting vellums
    --Catchup mechanics
    --Extending lockouts
    --Warforging, Titanforging, or Reforging
    --Discord
    --Wowprogress.com
    --Mmo-champion.com
    --Wowanalyzer.com
    --Warcraftlogs.com / Worldoflogs.com
    All of these things besides jumping while mounted is what makes live garbage today.

Deleted
    No jumping while mounted in vanilla? What the feck game was that person playing?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    This is the kind of thing that makes me roll my eyes when people claim that WoW is so much more complex today and players are so much better.