10+ Year Old Account

Best 3DS Pokemon game! X/Y vs. OR/AS vs. Sun/Moon.

I recently get a nice bonus at work and decided to get myself a little gift and am going to buy the new 2DS and want to get a Pokemon game to go with it. I have not owned a portable gaming system since the DS Lite and have not played a Pokemon game since Soul Silver. My question is which 3DS game should I go with? X/Y, OR/AS, or Sun/Moon? Or should I just wait a couple weeks for Ultra Sun/Moon? Pokemon games don't really drop in price so that isn't really a factor, it's only about which has the better features, the better roster of pokemon, and/or which is just plain more enjoyable? Right now I am leaning towards OR/AS since while I played emerald way back when, for some reason I never finished it and the remake of silver is easily my favorite one of the series. That said, it may be good to play one that is totally new.

So, anyone have any opinions?

1) Sunmoon hands down is the best pokemon game so far. A lot of tech improvements as well. Its also the most recent and most supported right now, so you'll have the most choices with multiplayer if you choose to do so

2) XY is a close second. It has better story telling than Sun Moon by a little bit, but its gameplay is more drab in comparison.

99)ORAS is trash. Its just a rehash and is nothing new. I'd heavily reccomend the other two. Trust me.

edit: I'd wait for Ultra sun or moon if you can
    Last edited by Hisholyness; 2017-11-05 at 06:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a emulator and play black and white 2. Then switch on ultra sun or moon.
    Main reason is that pokemon will fell more fresh once you start them, since a lot of x/y pokemon are in sun and moon already (or oras)
    Its a waste of money right now to play those 2 versions.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, thanks for the advice. Is OR/AS really that bad? I thought people loved Gen III.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Cool, thanks for the advice. Is OR/AS really that bad? I thought people loved Gen III.
    To many Tms.. Makes it super anoying. Also its missing endgame from emerald version.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    To many Tms.. Makes it super anoying. Also its missing endgame from emerald version.
    Ahh gotcha.

Well, I think I am going to go ahead and wait for Ultra and in the meantime snag something else like the Phoenix Wright Trilogy or Puzzle & Dragons.

Or maybe Senran Kagura...

pokemon Y have probably been my favourite so far.
    Sun coming in at a close second.

if werent because Y pretty much sells for the same price as sun, then it'd recommend getting that. but wait it out for ultra sun/moon and grab that.

Am I the only one that liked ORAS? ;-;
    With that said I'd wait for US/UM.

I really like X/Y. It was the only one that didn't feel like an experiment. OR/AS was fun with other objectives like the pokemon contests but it really suffers by being a GBA remake that sticks to close to the source material so everything is design in blocks and all the routes are straight lines. S/M is okay but theres a reason its getting a total overhaul like a year later. It looks good, the music and pokemon are good but its a very poorly designed game. every island is small so has constant "HEY MY STOUTLAND NEEDS TO SNIFF THIS PATCH OF ROAD AND BLOCK IT FOR THE WHOLE FUCKING ISLAND COME BACK AFTER DOING A BUNCH OF UNRELATED BULLSHIT" roadblocks to make the experience 100% linear. Its also very easy, a lot of new mechanics are totally reserved for post game and while the story is good for pokemon standards the rpg world exploring suffers from it.
    Meanwhile Kalos aka not france actually feels like its own solid region equal to Kanto and Jhoto. Its got winding paths, secret areas and events at certain times that makes going back to earlier routes important for reasons beyond 'X pokemon shows up in the post game here to check a name off a list'. Its not everyones favourite but i think its the better game of the 3.

The Sun and Moon games are amazing in that they FINALLY got rid of the HM system. They give you rideable Pokémon that take the system’s place, which means you no longer have to worry about teaching your team HMs or having an HM slave with you at all times. Was a huge QoL improvement to say the least and one that I hope they keep moving forward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    Am I the only one that liked ORAS? ;-;
    With that said I'd wait for US/UM.
    I loved ORAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    The Sun and Moon games are amazing in that they FINALLY got rid of the HM system. They give you rideable Pokémon that take the system’s place, which means you no longer have to worry about teaching your team HMs or having an HM slave with you at all times. Was a huge QoL improvement to say the least and one that I hope they keep moving forward.
    THIS was a major plus for me, too. There are actual hordes of people that disagree with getting rid of HMs and I DON'T FUCKING GET IT.

Anyway, you said you were going to wait for Ultra SM, which is really best. You'll be getting into it again during the most current content and actually get the most out of endgame and the online community. If you decide you want to continue and get more, just go backwards based on what you think you'd like. You can't go wrong with X/Y, and ORAS is actually a really good remake, I've seen more love than hate for it for sure. Gen 5 and previous you're really starting to lose graphic quality as you'd imagine, but if you don't mind using HMs again and enjoy the look and feel of the older gens, go for it. I love the majority of them, but I also grew up playing since Gen1 and have played every Gen during their peak since. Have fun! Also, I highly recommend joining the r/pokemon community, lots of people to connect with, plenty of giveaways, a great source of info from players ahead of you, etc.
    My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

By Shyama

15+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't find any of them good.

I played Y when it came out and found it lacklustre and a bit boring, same old rehash over and over and with zero challenge.. The new features they added since the old days revolve around dressing up your pokemon and other stuff for 11 year old girls, and the 3D aspect cost a raid tier... By that I mean Y/X didn't have as much content as some previous Pokemon games, personally I still don't feel any game has surpassed Gold/Silver, but then I haven't played anything newer than X/Y.

The formula is good, it just hasn't really grown with its audience nor moved forward in any meaningful way.. Can't speak for Sun/Moon etc.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4