Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Upcoming Changes to Hero Launch Skins and Bundles

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

When we launched Heroes 2.0, we made sweeping changes to our progression and reward systems that gave everyone the opportunity to snag all sorts of cosmetic items just by playing Heroes. Since that time, we’ve received a lot of positive feedback about those changes, but we’ve also heard from those of you who feel it’s now more difficult to acquire new items directly once they are no longer available for gem purchase.

We have listened to and absorbed all of this feedback, and today we’d like to share a few upcoming changes we’re making to Heroes’ launch bundles and launch skins that should offer greater control over how you acquire these items going forward.

Heroic Bundles and Gem-Only Skins

With our next patch, we want to give you the ability to buy a new Hero’s launch skins using gems whenever you’d like as a Skin Pack—even if that Hero’s limited-time launch bundle (a.k.a. their Heroic Bundle) has been removed from the Collection. For example, this means that once the upcoming Alexstrasza Heroic Bundle is removed during the week of November 27, a “Dark Queen” Alexstrasza Skin Pack will enter the Collection. That Skin Pack will then remain available for purchase using gems indefinitely.

In order to make this change, Hero launch skins starting with Alexstrasza will be classified as “gem-only” skins. Gem-only skins will not drop in Loot Chests and cannot be forged with Shards, but they will remain permanently available for purchase using gems. Skins that are gem-only will be clearly identified as such in the Collection UI, so they should be easy to differentiate from forgeable skins.

Finally, it’s worth noting that these changes will only apply to a new Hero’s launch bundle and skins. Any other skins that arrive with a Hero, like Alexstrasza’s “Dragon Aspect” skins, will still be forgeable using Shards, and can still be found in Loot Chests. Individual new Hero purchases are also staying the same: Once a Hero’s launch bundle is replaced by a Skin Pack, that Hero will remain purchasable indefinitely as an individual item using Gems or Gold, and will still be available in in Loot Chests.

Get ALL the Skins!

We’ve also received feedback from players who have been disappointed to find past Heroes’ launch skins split up between Loot Chests and direct purchase in the Collection. Thanks to your feedback, we’re going to adjust Heroic Bundles and Skin Packs to include all of a new Hero’s launch skins so you won’t need to rely on Loot Chests to collect them all!

Additionally, and as part of our excitement for the Heroes we announced at BlizzCon 2017, we’re going to give you a little more bang for your buck when you buy Alexstrasza’s and Hanzo’s Heroic Bundles or Skin Packs. Alexstrasza’s Heroic Bundle, for example will include Alexstrasza and all five of her “Dark Queen” gem-only skins for the same price as our previous Heroic Bundles, which typically contain the Hero and three launch skins. This means that you’ll receive two more skins than usual at no extra cost! Some future Heroes will join the Nexus with fewer launch skins, but you will still get all of them when you purchase the associated Heroic Bundle or Skin Pack.

As always, we’d love to hear what you think of these changes after they go live. Your feedback will help as we continue exploring new ways for Heroes players to pick up the items they want and discuss how we can make further improvements in the future.

We hope you have a blast trying out Alexstrasza, and until next time, we’ll see you in the Nexus!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is big step back to 1.0 about skins... They want lose some of playerbase? Well good way to do it...

Unless sometime after certain hero release, skins like Dark Queen Alexstrasza might be possible to craft with shards but i doubt it may happend.

15+ Year Old Account
    So I can no longer buy a new hero with gold and craft the launch skin tint I want. Ever.

Thats fucking bullshit.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    You forgot too add they are adding back master like skins again!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    So I can no longer buy a new hero with gold and craft the launch skin tint I want. Ever.

Thats fucking bullshit.
    You can buy with gold, but you can't loot them anymore from loot chests.

But seeing people don't like it on reddit, and since Blizzard listens more reddit than official forums... I assume they will pull back it, if not...

But interesing is, Hanzo don't have master skins...

I hope the backlash is great enough that they don't do it. Frankly, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't understand why they don't just make all skins purchasable through gems at all times.

Deleted
    So lottery boxes didn't work out I guess. First reaction: they improve their quality from common to rare. Second reaction: they lower their quality by introducing skins that can't roll in boxes. Funny to see a billion dollar company move around like a drunk in a foggy night. Schadenfreude galore - and I still have lots of good will for the HotS dev team.

F2P is too generous, loot boxes too greedy, player base too small; so now they're semi-blindly tinkering with the system and hoping to make more money. Ironically this move devalues stim packs as well, which seemed a decent compromise for people who were most invested in the game and played very often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I hope the backlash is great enough that they don't do it. Frankly, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't understand why they don't just make all skins purchasable through gems at all times.
    This change actually conflicts with idea of loot boxes what they said in 2.0 release... But biger problem is, that it is Blizzard and can change everything in thier games with one decision without carring for outrages etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    This change actually conflicts with idea of loot boxes what they said in 2.0 release... But biger problem is, that it is Blizzard and can change everything in thier games with one decision without carring for outrages etc.
    Eh. If people complain enough and more importantly, don't buy the skins in large numbers, they'll look back on it.

7+ Year Old Account
    I need to get busy and unlock all my waifus then >.>
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    Nothing's changing with what's already been released. Just that there'll be new skins that can only be obtained by buying gems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun thing is, i checked PTR now and for example. Recolor skins are for shards like new Greymane or Varian recolors are for shards.

I doubt it will come to pass, or if it does, that it will last long. I just don't see it working in the sense that it will make a lot of people actually buy the bundle.

Don't buy, waste of money, they will back to free skin model anyway, the faster the less ppl buy those skins.

I don't really understand it. People, me included, were slightly perturbed that certain skin tints were shards only. The Greymane tint, for example, would cost me 2400 shards because I can't spend any real money on it (the one I want isn't in the bundle), that's what people whined about. If all they're doing is making new hero bundles gem only, they're just pissing off the F2P crowd without really fixing the minor issue at hand, and lets be real here, it was a minor issue.

That said, people are really overreacting. They're charging money for some of the new cosmetics, keeping some amount available for free, yet people pretend like the game just went B2P with a subscription.

Edit: Actually, they do mention skin packs always having all tints now, not just heroic bundles. So I guess the change does fix the aforementioned minor issue.
    Last edited by ophion1990; 2017-11-07 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    You can buy with gold, but you can't loot them anymore from loot chests.

But seeing people don't like it on reddit, and since Blizzard listens more reddit than official forums... I assume they will pull back it, if not...

But interesing is, Hanzo don't have master skins...
    They will most likely revert is back seeing how 99% of people disagree with it

I really see no reason to make skins payable either , just let them be the way they are ... I mean people don't use real money for skins , they use them for loot boxes (less likely) or for stimpacks (this one is higher)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    Only skins after Alexstrasza's release will be gem only
    2Pac Forever !

So, let get me straight... we went from 1.0 with a store with regular prices in real money (GOOD) to 2.0 with lootboxes, three types of currency but still be able to unlock every cosmetic by playing and use shards to buy skins (SO-SO) to now putting some skins behind Gems, a bogus currency only purchasable with real money that will leave a left over all the time so you need to recharge the balance every so often? (TRASH)

What a consumer friendly decision! /s Meh, companies need to make money, yada yada... etc. etc.

Sigh... Thinking of 1.0, i appreciated the store, now i don't know what they are doing with this. :S
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

Tbh it was stupid of them the make everything available for free (if you played enough). While I didn't mind it obviously, you could smell a bad bussiness model from a mile.

It was to be expected that they will realise it wasn't a smart move so they are backing up a little. There is still a lot of stuff you can get from boxes and craft yourself anyway, sky is not falling.

There should never be something in the game only available via Gems(real world money). If something cost Gems it should also be craftable via Shards or Gold. I dont think many people would care at all if Skins, Mounts, and more were all able to be bought with Gems, long as you could still craft them with Shards or Gold.

Blizzard logic - "1% of playerbase thinks skins are hard to get, so let make skins for gems only and impossible to get for all F2P players."