Thread: Versatility....

Versatility....

Ugh So I'm just getting back into working on my warlock. I haven't played for a number of months and all of the epic gear I'm getting has versatility on it. I play affliction and if I understand properly versatility is not something I need. So what are you guys doing about it?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Well dont overthink it, usually if its high ilvl it is still a good item, and in a couple of weeks we get into the new tier with higher ilvl items, so dont stress urself out. As for how i usually go about this, if its rly high ilvl diff, like 20-30 i go for the ilvl one, and at some point ull bathe in a lot of items anyways with diff stat combinations so it wont really matter^^

Deleted
    You got no power over RNG !

Just use the top gear option of https://www.raidbots.com/simbot

Quick reminder for affli stats :
    Haste : good in most situation (ST, multi dot, AoE)
    Crit : good in AoE, average in over situation but you still need some (because of artifact talent)
    Mastery : bad in AoE (when using SoC), good in ST / multi dot
    Versa : bad stats
    int : bad stats
    Last edited by mmoc07bbc36aa1; 2017-11-07 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlock View Post
    Well dont overthink it, usually if its high ilvl it is still a good item, and in a couple of weeks we get into the new tier with higher ilvl items, so dont stress urself out. As for how i usually go about this, if its rly high ilvl diff, like 20-30 i go for the ilvl one, and at some point ull bathe in a lot of items anyways with diff stat combinations so it wont really matter^^
    yeah it sucks. I'm currently working on broken isles and all of the dauntless gear is versatility gear. it's shit.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Its still better than Int........

you dont need versatility, the stat weight should be mastery=haste>crit>versatility>intellect, and it depends on how much of haste or mastery you have. too much mastery then haste is going to be better, vice versa.

versatility is the kind of stat that you will have to have in some certain tier pieces, as long as you don't have too much you'll be fine, because it's not too far off from the best one anyway.

Vers isn't a bad stat for Warlocks. It's just the least good one. Other specs have genuinely bad stats, stats so bad you'll pick a piece of gear 20 ilvls lower that doesn't have it. With Warlocks, while you prefer gear without Vers on it, an upgrade of 10 ilvls or more is probably worth it even with Vers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Ugh So I'm just getting back into working on my warlock. I haven't played for a number of months and all of the epic gear I'm getting has versatility on it. I play affliction and if I understand properly versatility is not something I need. So what are you guys doing about it?
    People overthink stats. Versatility will always give you dps. The difference between stats is fractions of points of dps. So ilvl will almost always win. An equal ilvl pice of gear with vers/crit vs a piece with mastery/haste may be a few hundred dps. Which is nothing when people are doing well over a million dps.

We're so trained to look at lists from best to worst that we almost always look at the piece with the worst stats on it as garbage.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Deleted
    If you sim your char you'll probably see that versa is only 10-20% worse than haste/mastery.

It's not like haste for rogues which is worth less than 50% of mastery.

Deleted
    Raidbots weights I have atm is 27 Mastery, 26 Haste/Crit, 22 Versa, 20 Int. So yes Versa is not that good, but it still brings up your dps, so some versa is never bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    People overthink stats. Versatility will always give you dps. The difference between stats is fractions of points of dps. So ilvl will almost always win. An equal ilvl pice of gear with vers/crit vs a piece with mastery/haste may be a few hundred dps. Which is nothing when people are doing well over a million dps.

We're so trained to look at lists from best to worst that we almost always look at the piece with the worst stats on it as garbage.
    I do agree with you that the perception of vers is garbage is silly, for instance for affliction it is still better than the main stat int (something i wont get into but i think is stupid). However ilvl does not always win unless it is a significant amount and it spec dependent i.e destro ilvl generally wins, affliction you must consider secondary stats as even 10lvls can be a neutral gain or a loss.

Currently my stats sim around 1.35 haste 1.33 mastery, 1.25 crit 1.2 vers so yeah having one or two items with vers is not a big deal, but it adds up the more you have per item, which is what guides mean by "its ok to have some vers just not a lot, so avoid it when you can unless its a stupid ilvl gain".

It boils down to not how much vers you have being bad its more what you potentially could be missing that is much better which is why there is a tipping point of losing too much haste/mastery/crit can be a dps loss even with ilvl upgrades so therefore require simming.

My advice is firstly are you really that bothered about min-maxing? If not then ignore the above and just play and have fun. If you are then you firstly have to look at your spec and find out the stat weights and how it interacts with how you deal damage. Then have a plan of which stats you want to focus upon and then be prepared to sim out items if your spec largely favors some stats over others as ilvl cannot always be trusted.