Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Fat and anorexic people should be a protected class of people.

So we protect people from discrimination against their religion but we do nothing to protect fat people or anorexic people. I mean you choose you can't really help your biology so why are they not protected against discrimination?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

In the UK we have the Equality Act 2010 which puts people with mental and physical disabilities under what we call a protected characteristic.

Fat people are just fat. Eat less,

Deleted
    As someone who has been dealing with anorexia for more than 10 years now: What kind of discrimination are we facing?

Deleted
    lol!! why should they be protected more than others?

Everyone should be given their own little safe space to slowly kill themselves in. 'Cause feelings are more important than lives, right?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They should be protected... from themselves.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Religion is something you belive in, not eating or eating too much is kinda different choice right? MAby we should support smokers or alholics.... oh no wait we tax them insteed because they cost healcare system on avarge much more then non smoking, drinking ppl. And how come we need to support and pay more for people who are extreamly fat in the same time. Yea fat shaming etc is a thing but cmon if we put realy high taxes on booze and smokes because we need those money from theese ppl to pay for their futher threatment. We should do same thing for others who by choice decide to get sick sooner or later. I beelive there is some aiirline who alerdy is asking to pay for second ticket if you are above some extreme weight

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra
    What kind of discrimination are we facing?
    My apologies, this is going to come across as insensitive and it isn't intended as such. You're (as a group) collateral damage. Some of the disorders are fed by image issues. Pick any three of the various fat threads we have had in let's say the past three months and look at the tone of the comments. Look at the running "jokes" about harpooning, whales, Japan, etc. These things do not necessarily cause anorexia as such, but they feed the fear that is associated with anorexia.

It was found in the analysis of patients with anorexia nervosa that when they resumed normal weight and began menstruating again, analysis focused on their complex and pathological body image, which was manifested consciously by an intense fear of being fat. Scrutiny of nonanorexic women in analysis showed them to have a less intensely cathected fear of being fat or body-image disturbance, and observation and questioning of normal women in our culture showed many of them to also have this fear. Unconsciously caused by their feminine identification, many male homosexuals and men with severe latent homosexual conflicts were found to have the fear of being fat, in contrast to other men who do not evidence the fear. The fear of being fat is greatly overdetermined, and clinical material is presented to demonstrate that conflicts from every level of development--pre-Oedipal, Oedipal, adolescent, and adult--are displaced onto and masked by the fear.
    Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6759430/

An old study, but the Great Firewall and Google don't play well together.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Excuse me, but what? When I see you eat like a hippopotamus and call you fat, you have the right to sue me? No, in fact, these things should be pointed out. These people should feel bad, they should know that what they do is bad (eating way too much x too little). If you protect them, it'll start to be perceived as normal and unhealthy lifestyle is nothing that should have a place in society.
    And as a med student I can assure you that only biology is not going to make you obese.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So we protect people from discrimination against their religion but we do nothing to protect fat people or anorexic people. I mean you choose you can't really help your biology so why are they not protected against discrimination?
    I think we should also protect ugly people, because lets be honest, they face the most discrimination.

Speaking from experience.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberline View Post
    Excuse me, but what? When I see you eat like a hippopotamus and call you fat, you have the right to sue me? No, in fact, these things should be pointed out. These people should feel bad, they should know that what they do is bad (eating way too much x too little).
    They know it's bad and they feeel bad about it. They don't need you to rub them in it. It only makes it worse and totally not helping. Not to mention it's incredibly arrogant of you to think that they don't know.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

imo, anorexia should be protected in the sense that it should be classed as an actionable mental disorder.

meaning, an anorexic person should be able to be forcefully committed and treated, and ANYONE enabling their behavior should be charged with severe jail time.

that girl on youtube, eugenia cooney. her mother would be a prime example of the type of person in an anorexic person's life that should be put in jail for what they're doing. that girl is dead already, she's just still walking, and it's all because of her mother not forcefully committing her and actively supporting her decision to slowly kill herself.

Maybe we can make chairs in public places wider, like 6" wider or something. Fat people will be comfortable and anorexic people will still fit.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    The fuck no, I don't want protection, I want assistance. Acceptance that my state can happen and some, like me, would like a hand to help change that. Instead we have fools who bring ideas of overweight or 'fat' people should pay more for things etc.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    imo, anorexia should be protected in the sense that it should be classed as an actionable mental disorder.

meaning, an anorexic person should be able to be forcefully committed and treated, and ANYONE enabling their behavior should be charged with severe jail time.

that girl on youtube, eugenia cooney. her mother would be a prime example of the type of person in an anorexic person's life that should be put in jail for what they're doing. that girl is dead already, she's just still walking, and it's all because of her mother not forcefully committing her and actively supporting her decision to slowly kill herself.
    How would she at this point though, Eugenia Cooney is an adult.

Deleted
    Sure, and while we are at it, why don't we start forcefully committing and treating people with other issues like depression etc. as well.

Treatment doesn't work in such cases if it's not wanted.
    I spent some time in a hospital when I was like 21 or something due to pressure from people around me, and guess what, it didn't do anything. I pretended to do better for a while, got discharged and went back to doing what I wanted after a few days. Furthermore, the state starting to basically lock up adults who aren't a danger to anyone but maybe themselves isn't exactly something we should be striving for.

Quote Originally Posted by Euron Greyjoy View Post
    How would she at this point though, Eugenia Cooney is an adult.
    it started long before these days. she should rot in jail, feed her just enough to keep her alive, see how she likes all that fat melting away.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    Sure, and while we are at it, why don't we start forcefully committing and treating people with other issues like depression etc. as well.

Treatment doesn't work in such cases if it's not wanted.
    I spent some time in a hospital when I was like 21 or something due to pressure from people around me, and guess what, it didn't do anything. I pretended to do better for a while, got discharged and went back to doing what I wanted after a few days. Furthermore, the state starting to basically lock up adults who aren't a danger to anyone but maybe themselves isn't exactly something we should be striving for.
    it's harsh, but i don't really care that its harsh. if they go back to doing it, they have to spend even longer, maybe quadruple the original sentence, in the hospital the next time it's reported.

Deleted
    it's harsh, but i don't really care that its harsh. if they go back to doing it, they have to spend even longer, maybe quadruple the original sentence, in the hospital the next time it's reported.
    Again, it's not going to realistically work. You are just wasting people's and/or tax payers' money by wanting the state to go full-on authoritarian here and forcing people into treatment that they do not want, especially over an extended amount of time.

You need to learn some biology. Biology is a small factor. Obese people need to stop stuffing food up their mouths if they want to live a healthy life.

It's so sad. It's almost as if people think that fat people have some sort of control over what they put into their mouth, chew, and swallow repeatedly every day...

It's terrible. It's like the universe just added fat to their bodies randomly due to some cosmic bad luck lottery they lost and NOT by them eating food that they buy and choose to eat.

My god the horror.