Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

Feelings on Declawing

So, how does everyone feel about declawing cats?

We just got our cat declawed Monday, and I was actually surprised how many Vets in my area do it. We called 10 of them to check and compare prices, and only one clinic didn't declaw. I had thought it was shunned, but it still seems readily available. Our cat was getting pretty destructive, we had to have a section of our dry wall and base board replaced because she felt it was a good clawing post (even though she has clawing posts to use) and actually clawed a hole in our wall.

The cost was pretty high, around $400, but in the long run we will probably save on replacing items in our house.

I believe it's illegal to do in Europe, right? My mother in law is bringing her cat over from Germany (they are stationed there) to get it declawed here because she can't do it out there.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post

We just got our cat declawed Monday, and I was actually surprised how many Vets in my area do it. We called 10 of them to check and compare prices, and only one clinic didn't declaw. I had thought it was shunned, but it still seems readily available. Our cat was getting pretty destructive, we had to have a section of our dry wall and base board replaced because she felt it was a good clawing post (even though she has clawing posts to use) and actually clawed a hole in our wall.

The cost was pretty high, around $400, but in the long run we will probably save on replacing items in our house.
    How did they declaw the cat... because first of all that is very important.

Secondly if you have an issue with your cat destroying stuff then either prepare better or don't get a fucking cat lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm against it; however, I've been lucky enough to not be put in your position, so can't just there. The thing I ask of those who declaw is to please keep your cat inside.

7+ Year Old Account

I believe it's illegal to do in Europe, right? My mother in law is bringing her cat over from Germany (they are stationed there) to get it declawed here because she can't do it out there.
    Some people view it as inhumane, as it would be akin to literally chopping off our fingers at the first knuckle.

Then again we do circumcision without a second thought.

If the cat is an indoor cat, and it is done at a younger age I wouldn't take issue with it, but I can see how some might be reluctant.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I didn't realize tendonectomy was an option. I think most of the declawing here in the US primarily is the method surgically removing the tips/claws
    Last edited by -Nurot; 2017-11-08 at 04:08 PM.

Secondly if you have an issue with your cat destroying stuff then either prepare better or don't get a fucking cat lol.
    Amputation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    I'm against it; however, I've been lucky enough to not be put in your position, so can't just there. The thing I ask of those who declaw is to please keep your cat inside.
    We plan on, we've had her for about 6 months, picked her up from a rescue. Never once has she been let out, we have a lot of stray cats in our area. A neighbor was somewhat of a crazy cat lady and when she passed her 15+ cats are now all stray.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Heavily against it.
    Last edited by Ryme; 2017-11-08 at 04:09 PM.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post
    Some people view it as inhumane, as it would be akin to literally chopping off our fingers at the first knuckle.

Then again we do circumcision without a second thought.

If the cat is an indoor cat, and it is done at a younger age I wouldn't take issue with it, but I can see how some might be reluctant.
    We talked about age with the vet, she suggested having it done before she turned 2, which we did. I guess that is their cut off for when they will perform the surgery.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't removing the claws. The claws grow back. To "declaw" a cat, they remove the first joint on each "finger". It's cruel and inhumane, and if your cat's destroying stuff, learn to train your cat better. I've had cats my whole life, and none have been declawed, and nothing's been clawed to pieces, because I don't let them do that.

Amputation.

- - - Updated - - -

We plan on, we've had her for about 6 months, picked her up from a rescue. Never once has she been let out, we have a lot of stray cats in our area. A neighbor was somewhat of a crazy cat lady and when she passed her 15+ cats are now all stray.
    then it's horrible... it can cause issues with the cat's psychology it loses its only defense mechanism which then makes them bite more often... it is painful for the cat and it affects how they now use the litter as for a few weeks it is painful for them to cover their shit.

Against it. Claws serve the cats in many ways - stretching, grip or stress relief. It does not seem ethically defensible to me to justify declawing because property is being destroyed.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

It's mutilation that has negative effects on the cat's movement. Declawing isn't just removing the claws of the cat, but removing the tips of their toes. Cats are digitgrade animals, which means they walk on their toes, same as dogs and most birds, so it's extremely taxing on their locomotion.

It's better to give a cat a new home than it is to declaw it.

Heavily against it. Its cruel and not needed. Hope you get bitten in your hand and get a infection as revenge from your cat.

then it's horrible... it can cause issues with the cat's psychology it loses its only defense mechanism which then makes them bite more often... it is painful for the cat and it affects how they now use the litter as for a few weeks it is painful for them to cover their shit.
    This as well.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, i would never get my cat declawed.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's illegal here and I fully support that

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't be done, stop being a slacker and take care of your own pet. Make sure to have what your pet it needing.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    A seriously cruel practice that is without question animal abuse. If this is a serious something you consider i am all in favor of putting people like you on a list to never be able to get a pet legally, not even a fucking gold fish.

How about i come around to your place and start cutting of one of your kids fingers because it can't stop touching things, it's about the same concept.

A cat doesn't destroy things randomly, if it's scratching things, get a fucking scratching pole so it has a place to do that on problem solved.

My 17 year old cat was declawed, and he never went outside. The only time he went outside was when we took him to the vet. We have a screened in porch which is accessible via pet door. He was free to roam anywhere within our home, porch, and garage (we had a pet door out there too, his litter box was in garage).

If you declaw, just keep your cat inside where he can remain safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    It's mutilation that has negative effects on the cat's movement. Declawing isn't just removing the claws of the cat, but removing the tips of their toes. Cats are digitgrade animals, which means they walk on their toes, same as dogs and most birds, so it's extremely taxing on their locomotion.
    I did not know this, how horrible.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

We've only declawed one cat, and that was because she was a rescue and had been neglected and would latch on to anything and everything with full claws. We tried working with her and waiting it out but eventually just had to call it. Barring exigent circumstances like that I wouldn't do it.