One to the zenith , one to the nadir (Mario and Sonic ''rivalry'')

Or less intellectually phrased ''one just released yet another instant classic game, the other is almost down to lower their inexistant trousers to please the furry scene''

Simply said, at the birth of the proper multi-console system (the release of the Genesis in 1991, I would say), the flagship franchises were Sonic and Mario. Thanks to a CharlieSheenesque succession of bad decisions, one franchise essentially peaked in 1994 (Sonic and Knuckles) and the other is still able to carry entire consoles production lines in 2017.

While ''rivalry'' in console franchises/consoles might not be the best term (brand loyalty, maybe ?) you can't help to fathom how one franchise managed to survive through, what, four consoles generations ? while their arch-rival in platforming best outing in years was ''yet another remix of levels from Sonic 1 to 3, but not much beyond that''

(That thread is not really asking a ''question'', just the bafflement of someone whose first console was a Genesis in 1992 about how every Mario game is revered while virtually all 3D outfits of Sonic are broken messes and 2D outfits at best derivative fanservice from the 3 classic Genesis games. Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece and Sonic Forces (groan) is competing with the reboot of Bubsy.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2017-11-08 at 06:33 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I would probably say the peak for Sonic was Sonic Adventure on dreamcast. Other than that, yeah pretty much spot on.

Sega gave up on being a company a long time ago. Nintendo has three IPs that keep them in the race, so of course they're going to bust ass making them good.

You do realize two sonic games have released recently right? One was highly praised as well.

Personally I enjoyed Sonic Forces but hey different strokes.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Sonic Adventure was > Mario 64 and Sonic Adventure 2 was > Mario Sunshine IMO.(all 4 are great games, just speaking of my opinions on them).

After the dreamcast died, Sega just became a shell of what they once where development wise. It really wasn't until post SA2 that Sonic started shitting the bed, and even then has still been able to put out some half decent games that are fun. Even Forces is not terrible from a gameplay perspective, it's terrible in the context that they spent 4 years developing a game that essentially has 3-4 hours of gameplay and 1 hour of cutscenes. Like seriously, what the fuck have you been doing for 4 years Sonic Team?

The biggest difference between how Mario continued to evolve and make great games and Sonic floundered is Nintendo puts love and passion into their games and Sega stopped doing that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You do realize two sonic games have released recently right? One was highly praised as well.

Personally I enjoyed Sonic Forces but hey different strokes.
    The game we need is sonic adventure 3 with a fully functional and expanded chao garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    The game we need is sonic adventure 3 with a fully functional and expanded chao garden.
    Never played adventure 1&2 so on top of 3 lets remaster those in a bundle
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Never played adventure 1&2 so on top of 3 lets remaster those in a bundle
    They where already remastered for PC/PS3/360.

Deleted
    The only good Mario games were the side scrollers anyway. When did the last of those come out? Not recently. Other than of course Super Mario Maker, which was released because I am right and Super Mario is what people actually liked.

Both Mario and Sonic went downhill fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    The only good Mario games were the side scrollers anyway. When did the last of those come out? Not recently. Other than of course Super Mario Maker, which was released because I am right and Super Mario is what people actually liked.

Both Mario and Sonic went downhill fast.
    Uhh, New Super Mario Bros U 2 years before Mario Maker?

Ya, they totally don't make 2D Mario anymore

But you're right, no one likes the game that is currently sitting on top of many all time meta rankings.

This post is so hilariously wrong on so many fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    They where already remastered for PC/PS3/360.
    And gamecube.