7+ Year Old Account

Civilization 5 or Civilization Beyond?

At moment both Civilization 5 and Civilization Beyond are heavily discounted on steam, including all expansions for both. Which game should I buy? I prefer Sci Fi futuristic theme games, but if Civilization 5 is significantly superior, then I rather get a better game.

What's people opinion on Homeworld Remastered?

I honestly prefer Civ V by far, specially with all the expansions. Beyond couldn't keep my attention while CivV I spent countless of nights forgetting to go sleep..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    I honestly prefer Civ V by far, specially with all the expansions. Beyond couldn't keep my attention while CivV I spent countless of nights forgetting to go sleep..
    I share this person´s opinion.

As much as I enjoyed Alpha Centauri, Civ Beyond was at best a bad mod of Civ 5, and I got bored of it wayyy too quickly.

If you're choosing between the two, get Civ 5.

If you wanna forget about sleeping ever again, get EU4.

7+ Year Old Account
    Civ 5 is way better.

Civ 5 all the way.. Beyond Earth felt like a much worse re-skin

Hell I still play a shit ton of hours in Civ 5 instead of Civ 6

Agreed, Civ V by a country mile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Civ V, you will forget to eat.

BE is pretty decent right now though, its launch was rather terrible. The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal and likely the best in the series.

Homeworld Remastered is a must buy if you like rts games with a sci fi setting. It is incredibly difficult though.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-11-11 at 01:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are certain parts of beyond that are very interesting, such as increased customization for your empire especially with mods instead of following historical models, aliens being much more interactive and meaningful than the traditional barbarians, and exploring the various affinities. That aside.. the maps are boring to settle due to tiles being very samey, the combat doesn't really bring anything new, city development feels like it's slipped back into civ 3 levels, and expanding your empire is pretty simplistic and boring once you've explored the affinity in a previous game. For a game series that is considered the hallmark of the 4x genre, it ultimately fails to even match its predecessors in any of the four Xs. It is, ultimately, repetitive, and I would not expect to get more than 2-3 games in, as opposed to civ 5 which I have several hundred hours in both through single player and multiplayer with friends.

That aside, if you're of the economic mindset of viewing a game worth it if you get an hour of fun for each dollar you spend, you will get your moneys worth with the current steam price of 13.19. Don't expect to still be playing it a month from now.