10+ Year Old Account

Why do threads here need to be locked after an "answer" is provided?

There are several threads here that - in my opinion - should not be locked upon an "answer" being provided. There are several threads on SSL/HTTPS in particular, and any further discussion gets stamped out prematurely.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2319408
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2317474
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2228403

This is something that should be discussed further. A lack of HTTPS/SSL is a bad idea. Like it or not, people will be reusing their password here, and it's pretty trivial for networks to intercept that information over plaintext. As of Chrome 56 being released early this year, the browser also states "Not Secure" when users enter their password into the password field on this site.

Ads shouldn't be a factor here at all. Even if you don't get site-wide SSL, you absolutely should be securing the login form as a bare minimum. The lack of security oversight here is disconcerting, with it all too often being brushed off as something unimportant.

I did go off on a bit of a tangent there, but I do wish there could be further community discussion even after being told "no". If Blizzard can reverse their answer on WoW Classic, then Curse can reverse their answer on implementing SSL.

Discussing moderation is against the rules. If you have a serious concern, you are encouraged to take it to one of the admins in private.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Discussing moderation is against the rules.
    ಠ_ಠ

Guess I missed that part of the rules. Seems...oddly restrictive.
    Last edited by Kodiack; 2017-11-10 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiack View Post
    ಠ_ಠ

I believe it is just to avoid topics degenerating into some senseless moderator bashing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I believe it is just to avoid topics degenerating into some senseless moderator bashing
    Yeah, I can see where the reasoning from it would be. I believe that a bit more openness there for community feedback would be worthwhile, however. But I'm not a moderator or admin, so I suppose it's not my place to say.

I only wish that meta site discussion was encouraged instead of stamped out so quickly. I feel that there's a lot of room for site and community improvement, but feedback is frequently closed immediately upon a "decision" being stated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not too worried if my account gets hacked on here, nothing lost if it is. So what if I reused this password, I don't care on those sites either.

The reason those threads get locked is because there's literally nothing to discuss. Chaud wants to implement SSL but can't do it yet. A thread continually asking for it isn't going to make it happen any faster.

If you press that Premium button on the top right of your screen, it could make it happen quicker though. Speak through that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiack View Post
    ಠ_ಠ

Because it is. Those in power feel threatened when others debate how that power is utilized. This is no different.

Transparency would require a complete shift in moderation is performed and they're not about to do that. I get they don't want moderators being bashed, but to me, the spirit of the rule does not reflect the result. We can't discuss moderation, but we can bash moderators in threads. Endus gets shit on all the time for perceived political biases. So, the issue clearly isn't bashing moderators; its questioning authority and challenging the status quo they want to avoid.

When a question is asked and then answered and there's nothing more to discuss a thread is closed because it's served its purpose. If you ever disagree with a thread being closed or don't understand why you can always PM the mod who closed it find out what the reasoning is. We have sometimes reopened threads after that happens because sometimes one person might not realize there could still be valuable discussion to be had.
    Last edited by Arlee; 2017-11-27 at 06:21 PM.