1. #1

    How "easy" is ferals after the update?

    Hi! I am new to druids, but i want to give feral a try. I have heard people talking about feral have a very advanced, hard and not forgiving rotation. Is this still true after the update? Is it more manageable now? Can a noob play it ok?

  2. #2
    Feral is as easy as most of the other classes now. Long are the days where the rotation was actually challenging.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Feral is as easy as most of the other classes now. Long are the days where the rotation was actually challenging.
    Much more friendly for newer players / ferals. Tad more variety in terms of viable builds too.

  4. #4
    Well i played feral first time ever 3 days ago and i managed to do feral mage tower challenge in 6 attempts. Id say its easy if dumbfuck like me can pull it off.
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ Curses!

  5. #5
    well to be fair feral has probably the easiest challenge of them all

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hezar View Post
    Well i played feral first time ever 3 days ago and i managed to do feral mage tower challenge in 6 attempts. Id say its easy if dumbfuck like me can pull it off.
    What was your iLvl? I barely knew what I was doing and I effortlessly did it at ~930, and I sure as fuck was not playing it correctly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Einst3in View Post
    well to be fair feral has probably the easiest challenge of them all


    LOL NO NOT AT ALL. Feral when it first came out was actually pretty difficult compared to most (Feral had some pretty shit AoE). Balance was-and-still-is a joke; I beat it in ~7 attempts day 1 Mage Tower (and 4 of those attempts were crashes due to a bug w/ Typhoon).
    Uses the same signature for over a year, just randomly gets infracted for it recently.
    Placeholder signature is placeholder and will hopefully make me finish my shit.
    Oh yeah, I'm a Druid and stuff.
    I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall.

  7. #7
    Every class is "easy" but Feral is one of the ones where you really do need to "master" it to get the most out of your class. Any numbnut can smash buttons and do dmg but you won't be top DPS unless you know what you are doing.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Every class is "easy" but Feral is one of the ones where you really do need to "master" it to get the most out of your class. Any numbnut can smash buttons and do dmg but you won't be top DPS unless you know what you are doing.
    Indeed but feral DOES allow for talent builds that are very easy to execute without completely gimping the outcome. Can't say that about quite a few of my other toons.
    Also feral is for me probably second easiest melee to faceroll in open world - DH takes first place.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    What was your iLvl? I barely knew what I was doing and I effortlessly did it at ~930, and I sure as fuck was not playing it correctly.



    LOL NO NOT AT ALL. Feral when it first came out was actually pretty difficult compared to most (Feral had some pretty shit AoE). Balance was-and-still-is a joke; I beat it in ~7 attempts day 1 Mage Tower (and 4 of those attempts were crashes due to a bug w/ Typhoon).
    I think my ilvl was around 920 when i did it. I knew the fight before hand tho, i main a mage and that challenge was same as fire mage challenge.
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ Curses!

  10. #10
    Feral is easy but is not faceroll compared to other melee classes that have 2 button rotations.

  11. #11
    I am Murloc! A dot Ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    America, you great unfinished symphony.
    Posts
    5,841
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Feral is as easy as most of the other classes now. Long are the days where the rotation was actually challenging.
    There is a difference between challenging and punishing, and people who have grown to love a class for its mechanics and its identity shouldn't suddenly suck EXTRA hard, because they've decided to make a given spec more punishing.

    It's why I stopped playing my enhancement shaman.

    Blizzard is fucking up big time (as per the usual) and is missing out on opportunities or rather they lack follow through because talents (in legion) were supposed to address the gap between faceroll, and challenging.

    Each talent was supposed to be something along the lines of x,y, and z. Being easy, medium, and hard respectively. Each with its own payoff. If you're fine just facerolling, go with the passives... the easy (your dps will never be higher than ~70% of max potential dps). If you're looking for something with a little more challenge and experience, you go with an active ability... the medium (your dps will never be higher than ~80% of max potential dps). If you're looking for something more fun and challenging, you go with the talent that changes your rotation completely. Could be an active/passive, but it deviates from the standard rotation, and the reward for the added challenge is full potential DPS. (If you do it right... your dps will be top notch)
    *I'd rather be divisive than indecisive, drop the niceties!*

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    What was your iLvl? I barely knew what I was doing and I effortlessly did it at ~930, and I sure as fuck was not playing it correctly.



    LOL NO NOT AT ALL. Feral when it first came out was actually pretty difficult compared to most (Feral had some pretty shit AoE). Balance was-and-still-is a joke; I beat it in ~7 attempts day 1 Mage Tower (and 4 of those attempts were crashes due to a bug w/ Typhoon).
    Bro you don't need to teach me about feral.
    Agatha has such a low lifepool for feral that you could easily tunnel and burst her down into P2 and the aoe burst of brs was enough to deal with the imps. I also did it on day 1 with 911 ilvl and not really knowing the fight.

    So yeah, maybe it was difficult with 890 gear and if you did not know how to dps, but tbh I did a lot of other melee challenges on my alts and they were more unforgiving.

    And TODAY feral challenge is easy af. No significant st loss because of brs, more dps, more burst etc...

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    There is a difference between challenging and punishing, and people who have grown to love a class for its mechanics and its identity shouldn't suddenly suck EXTRA hard, because they've decided to make a given spec more punishing.

    It's why I stopped playing my enhancement shaman.

    Blizzard is fucking up big time (as per the usual) and is missing out on opportunities or rather they lack follow through because talents (in legion) were supposed to address the gap between faceroll, and challenging.

    Each talent was supposed to be something along the lines of x,y, and z. Being easy, medium, and hard respectively. Each with its own payoff. If you're fine just facerolling, go with the passives... the easy (your dps will never be higher than ~70% of max potential dps). If you're looking for something with a little more challenge and experience, you go with an active ability... the medium (your dps will never be higher than ~80% of max potential dps). If you're looking for something more fun and challenging, you go with the talent that changes your rotation completely. Could be an active/passive, but it deviates from the standard rotation, and the reward for the added challenge is full potential DPS. (If you do it right... your dps will be top notch)
    But unlike other classes instead of giving feral things for legion they gutted the class completely and moved everything core rotation to talents with nothing competing.

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! A dot Ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    America, you great unfinished symphony.
    Posts
    5,841
    Quote Originally Posted by axxey View Post
    But unlike other classes instead of giving feral things for legion they gutted the class completely and moved everything core rotation to talents with nothing competing.
    But again... it was supposed to be gutting, and then adding complexity via talents. They just totally abandoned that goal early in the xpac.

    Demonhunters for example, have the most basic bitch rotation. Initially there was complexity and it paid off with higher dps. By maintaining constant uptime on momentum, by constantly moving around via fel rush and vengeful retreat, as well as energy generation. That was quickly replaced in favor of a passive energy generation, and a passive %dmg to auto attacks.

    Perhaps they were overzealous, perhaps I am naive to believe it would have been worth the effort (had they actually applied any) the point is, the framework is there to make any spec enjoyable and functional and still maintain a easy/normal/hard mode.
    *I'd rather be divisive than indecisive, drop the niceties!*

  15. #15
    If you take savage roar and blood talons it still requires a little concentration. If you take the easier talents its as mindless as everything else pretty much.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    What was your iLvl? I barely knew what I was doing and I effortlessly did it at ~930, and I sure as fuck was not playing it correctly.



    LOL NO NOT AT ALL. Feral when it first came out was actually pretty difficult compared to most (Feral had some pretty shit AoE). Balance was-and-still-is a joke; I beat it in ~7 attempts day 1 Mage Tower (and 4 of those attempts were crashes due to a bug w/ Typhoon).
    If you refused to spec Brutal Slash, yes. Now the challenge is extremely easy because it's tuned around old Brutal Slash, not 33% increased damage Brutal Slash.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    If you take savage roar and blood talons it still requires a little concentration. If you take the easier talents its as mindless as everything else pretty much.
    And the non-SR/BT options are better in a lot of/most situations, meaning effectively they did massively reduce the difficulty of Feral.

  17. #17
    The Insane Rorcanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Retail World of Warcraft, the one and only REAL WOW!
    Posts
    16,468
    People always tout their own spec as the most difficult to play. The fact of the matter is that perfect execution of rotations vs bosses is rare among the general WoW public either way.

    If you like the gameplay of the spec, play away. It's not like classes ever remain the same forever in terms of how specs play.

    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Feral is as easy as most of the other classes now. Long are the days where the rotation was actually challenging.
    Meaning you've got 95+ percentiles on the classes you play and every boss then?
    WoW is no longer the following:
    - An RPG
    - An MMO
    - A game
    Sorry boys and girls, the Vanilla crowd hath spoken. You're not logged into a game, you're logged into doing laundry or reading a book.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    There is a difference between challenging and punishing, and people who have grown to love a class for its mechanics and its identity shouldn't suddenly suck EXTRA hard, because they've decided to make a given spec more punishing.
    Feral was always punishing in the past, if people stuck around with the spec and didn't like that, they were making a mistake. Luckily for them, now the spec is much easier to play and you have to actively try to get punished with most talent builds. And I disagree regarding talents entirely. Talents should let you adapt to fight types with minor impact on gameplay, the baseline core of the spec should be strong enough on its own in terms of complexity/mechanics.
    There's enough specs that most people should find one they like, and having multiple very different builds within the same spec just means that if somebody(for example) really enjoys traditional Shadow, but Clarity of Power(in WoD) is the strongest talent suddenly, they just got forced to play something they don't enjoy or reroll out of nowhere, which is shitty. When you start playing a spec, that should be "it", you should know what you sign up for and be safe in the knowledge that you won't suddenly be playing effectively a different spec entirely because of buffs/nerfs.
    This mostly goes for talents that entirely change how a spec plays, like Clarity of Power(Shadow), Momentum(Havoc), Serenity/Chi Explosion(WW), Glacial Spike(Frost mage), Breath of Sindragosa(frost DK). Those talents should either become the core of the spec or not exist, having talents that swing playstyle to that extent in a game like WoW doesn't really work.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    People always tout their own spec as the most difficult to play. The fact of the matter is that perfect execution of rotations vs bosses is rare among the general WoW public either way.

    If you like the gameplay of the spec, play away. It's not like classes ever remain the same forever in terms of how specs play.



    Meaning you've got 95+ percentiles on the classes you play and every boss then?
    Unfortunately true, because most people only play that one spec, so they have no real perspective.
    Last edited by Tradu; Yesterday at 11:58 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    People always tout their own spec as the most difficult to play. The fact of the matter is that perfect execution of rotations vs bosses is rare among the general WoW public either way.

    If you like the gameplay of the spec, play away. It's not like classes ever remain the same forever in terms of how specs play.



    Meaning you've got 95+ percentiles on the classes you play and every boss then?
    Yea, getting 95+ percentiles is all about playing the class well, nothing about ignoring mechanics or cheesing other aspects. Got it.

  20. #20
    The Insane Rorcanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Retail World of Warcraft, the one and only REAL WOW!
    Posts
    16,468
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Yea, getting 95+ percentiles is all about playing the class well, nothing about ignoring mechanics or cheesing other aspects. Got it.
    Not at all.

    But the best players, are able to reach impressive percentiles whilst playing correctly. If it's so easy, everyone should be able to I'd say.
    WoW is no longer the following:
    - An RPG
    - An MMO
    - A game
    Sorry boys and girls, the Vanilla crowd hath spoken. You're not logged into a game, you're logged into doing laundry or reading a book.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •