Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Nothing wrong with asking for proof. There are too many people who will use others as is and lie about it in a heart beat. And even those on the streets and road intersections, are usually asking for some money so they can buy some more drugs or alcohol. The worse thing you can do would be give them cash. Offer to take them to your local food pantry or Salvation Army. Or if you have the time, help them find a job. Odds are that is not what they want.
    Yeah, I don't get an erection asking people if they served or not if they say they have. My lot in life isn't to questions the qualifications of every claim made, I get where and why you would.

I don't because for every liar out there, I am sure there are plenty that served, who if on a special day, I can give them one less thing as grief or hassle to enjoy their day, I will.

I mean if they are lying sack of shit, then they have to live with that.

I 100% agree with you on the cash, I used to do that when I was young and you are 100% right it is a BAD idea, and can actually help facilitate an addiction or a problem by enabling it. Unless it's Christmas or Thanksgiving and then I have because FFS it's Christmas.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by LighthavenDev View Post
    I have this, bottom right on my Nevada DL.

How did you get the mark?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    For me (in Ohio) I just asked them to add it to my license last time I renewed it. They already had a copy of my DD-214 in their system, so they just verified and printed it on my new issued license.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    in ohio you bring your DD214 when you update your drivers license.

edit: we also get free veterans tags on our license plates.
    Last edited by the game; 2017-11-10 at 11:51 PM.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Happy Veterans day to my fellow brothers and sisters. Also, Happy Birthday to all the Marines out there!
    Happy veterans day marine, try not to eat too many crayons.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Don't tell me how to live my life! I just got a 64 pack of crayola delivered with a 32oz bottle of Elmer's Glue. Gonna be a party tonight!
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Happy veterans day ya idiots. Happy Marine Corps birthday too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    Why ? Do they have a happy jew day where they give free meals to rabbis?
    does them giving out free meals to veterans offend you?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    you don't usually need your DD214. If you take a VA medical card they'll accept that. Also some states are now putting a stamp on drivers licenses that reflect that people are veterans. Ohio is for sure.
    I get by showing my old ID. When I had to turn it in to get the newer style, I just had them punch holes into it to make it invalid, but everywhere I take it to will accept it. I also still have my expired IRR ID.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happy Veteran's Day!

//s//bungee US Army, 1980-1986 VA disability, unclaimed

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security
    Who specifically Jaylock, who is putting their lives on the line specifically?
    That would have been me, for one. Every other person who served took their turn in the bucket, but I won't presume to speak for them.

Even in what is largely seen as peacetime, even deployed to what seems a fairly safe area, there are things like this:

U.S. soldiers and airmen stationed in Germany were repeatedly terrorist targets in the 1970s through the mid-1980s. Scores were wounded — although the death toll was fewer than 10 — in a series of a bombings spread over a decade.
    Source: https://www.stripes.com/news/baader-...-1980s-1.36617

Even if the short haircut in a particular style isn't marking you as a potential target, the military trains with dangerous tools in dangerous situations. Accidents happen, some are fatal and some just maim. We lost a guy to PT. The commander wanted to be a hard ass. He ran us across the Autobahn. When the moment came, he gave the command for "road guards" to take position ... on the Autobahn, taking a stance that was not the one used by German traffic police. Mercedes didn't have time to react and didn't know what the hell was going on. Turned the guy pretty much to jelly from the waist down.

Every day you put on that uniform and think about how you're going to spend your pay, you don't know for certain what the next week or month might bring. It could be crazy people wanting to make a statement, it could be a bad command decision, it could be any of a number of training accidents or equipment failures. But as a risk assessment, yeah, putting on the uniform comes with accepting that something just might get you before you ETS.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a member of the USAF reserves and technically a veteran for being deployed to Kuwait (hardest part about it was watching AFN commercials) I'm actually not a fan of the attention this day always gets me every year. I mean, I appreciate the day in memory of those who went off and fought in WWI and WWII and the other wars, but personally, I don't think I'm someone special or anything. I just wanted the GI Bill to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Air Force buddy of mine told a busload of Marines that their ASVAB was a coloring book.

He came home from that alive, so . . . .
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Happy Veteran's Day!

//s//bungee US Army, 1980-1986 VA disability, unclaimed

That would have been me, for one. Every other person who served took their turn in the bucket, but I won't presume to speak for them.

Even in what is largely seen as peacetime, even deployed to what seems a fairly safe area, there are things like this:

Source: https://www.stripes.com/news/baader-...-1980s-1.36617

Even if the short haircut in a particular style isn't marking you as a potential target, the military trains with dangerous tools in dangerous situations. Accidents happen, some are fatal and some just maim. We lost a guy to PT. The commander wanted to be a hard ass. He ran us across the Autobahn. When the moment came, he gave the command for "road guards" to take position ... on the Autobahn, taking a stance that was not the one used by German traffic police. Mercedes didn't have time to react and didn't know what the hell was going on. Turned the guy pretty much to jelly from the waist down.

Every day you put on that uniform and think about how you're going to spend your pay, you don't know for certain what the next week or month might bring. It could be crazy people wanting to make a statement, it could be a bad command decision, it could be any of a number of training accidents or equipment failures. But as a risk assessment, yeah, putting on the uniform comes with accepting that something just might get you before you ETS.
    Well if you take offense I apologize sincerely. I mean what I said about the hero worship

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well if you take offense I apologize sincerely. I mean what I said about the hero worship
    I'm no hero. I'm just a guy who put soldiers on airplanes.

Literally.

My job was specifically to manifest soldiers and their baggage, and load them on aircraft headed further into the AOR. I never saw combat, and I hope I never do.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm no hero. I'm just a guy who put soldiers on airplanes.

Literally.

My job was specifically to manifest soldiers and their baggage, and load them on aircraft headed further into the AOR. I never saw combat, and I hope I never do.
    Doesn’t mean you aren’t a hero. But there is a fine line between respect and saying thanks. Vs taking every opportunity to flatter you no matter what you say every chance I get so I can look good being nice to you cause you’re a vet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, you too. Same to the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Mall Security

I barely use courtesy titles. I'm just bungee, not Mr. Bungee, Dr. Bungee, or Professor Bungee. I neither expect deference, nor particularly appreciate it.

You are fully entitled to an opinion based on your own observations of conditions, I'm nearly 20 years behind the times. With that said, I realize you were posing a question to a guy who uses bait avatars, but hopefully I've given you a bit of extra information to consider. The "hero worship" is often something drummed up by politicians and PR flacks, don't let it detract from those who did their time in service, and maybe let us have one whopping day out of the year to remember those days.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2017-11-11 at 03:31 AM. Reason: markup
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Nearly all my family was in the military including me so i say:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    It didn't take long for the fun police to arrive here sheesh

Cheers @supertony51 from one vet to another!
    Thank you buddy!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Thanks, you too. Same to the rest.
    You doing anything special?

- - - Updated - - -

As a member of the USAF reserves and technically a veteran for being deployed to Kuwait (hardest part about it was watching AFN commercials) I'm actually not a fan of the attention this day always gets me every year. I mean, I appreciate the day in memory of those who went off and fought in WWI and WWII and the other wars, but personally, I don't think I'm someone special or anything. I just wanted the GI Bill to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Air Force buddy of mine told a busload of Marines that their ASVAB was a coloring book.

He came home from that alive, so . . . .
    Nothing wrong with that, we all have our reasons, one of mine was to get a degree with no student debt.

10+ Year Old Account
    To all my fellow vets, thank you, and may you always has fair winds and following seas!

Deleted
    Where is my free meal?