10+ Year Old Account

10 years....no main?

I have literally played this game for 10 years and have never had a main. With that said I more specifically mean that I have never hard core focused on any one class for a period of more than a couple months. I have literally played and to this day still have an account that has 1 of everything on it (almost all 110 also). With that said I tend to never have professions and maxed out anything at any given time because my time played is always split between multiple toons. I have never have max professions...whatever the current zone is I never have max reputations farmed...etc etc etc

WHY?
    What does it mean for someone to put years into something and still not have a main mean?
    That playstyle as far as progression goes is obviously bad right?
    Why dont i have a main? lol why why why ?

Ive always wanted to play at the top peak of performance but i just seem to never be focused on 1 single path
    Semper Fi

WoW is a very repetitive game. Your brain can't handle that and you prefer to try something different than wiping for 200 times on a boss or grinding 50000 mobs for 10 achievement points or wait 5 weeks in one place to kill a rare to get a mount.

I know exactly how you feel, I've played WoW for close to 9 years now and have had every class max level since MoP, I've "Mained" a different class every expansion, usually switching after one raid tier and have always been jealous of my guild mates and friends who have played their one class for many years.

I can say however that by playing all the classes I know a fair bit more about the game then I would if I only played one class, for example If my guild mate is talking about some obscure thing involving shamans and their legendary synergy I probably have some insight in the matter cause I "Mained" shaman for all of 1 month lol.

It can be a blessing and a curse but the only advice I can say is tackle small things at a time, for example don't worry about the class just get all professions maxed, you mentioned you don't have that done. When it comes to actually picking a class an old friend of mine had me turn off damage numbers and my damage meters and just attack a target dummy or do some WQ, whatever class you enjoy the feel of the most play that, ignore how much damage they do and just enjoy them for them.

Also if you are really gonna main one class make sure you like most if not all of its other specs (Example: I like enhancement but dont like resto or ele so i wouldn't main a shaman but I like Fury and Prot and arms so I play a warrior) and make it easy on yourself, I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times but decide what you want to play melee or ranged, after that for me it was not liking energy so that shortened the options even more, break it down piece by piece until you have like 1-3 specs and play them.

In WoW you can't have all classes with 1 character and a lot of the story is locked behind other factions or classes so its almost impossible to play only 1 character here, that's why they must make more things account wide

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played for 7-8 years and just now I've made my warrior AND paladin my mains, since I've played those two the most these 7-8 years.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

10+ Year Old Account
    I main Warlock since TBC until now, the only 110 alts I have are a Paladin from Vanilla and DH, one is a free boost and dash through areas and another same story because he starts at 98 anyway. Both gather dust since the moment they dinged 110 pretty much.

It really depends on a person playing, there is more than enough people maining character over the years.

You arguable need a main character if you participate in the more dedicated endgame activities, be it because your guild won't equip every of your toons or because you have a life outside of the game and aren't leeching off wellfare. Some people that play alot may get away with having 2 or 3 characters with high end equipment and activities, but that is usually more of an outlier. If you play the game just casually then there is probably no point in having a main or pretending to have one.

Switching main characters is fairly common though and depend mostly on the willignes of other to put up with your shit in group enviroments, since you drag the team down by constantly having to equip another character of yours. Mythic+ has lessened this as well to some degree, as did titanforging. Still most people probably have a main simply by time constraints and not wanting to grind out all the bullshit they already did again on another character.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-11-12 at 08:08 AM.

I have played since TBC, and has always been an Altoholic. I currently have 16 lvl 110 characters, 3 of which are ilvl 930+, the rest are somewhere between ilvl 900 and 920. and i only play a few hours a week.

While i switch arround which toon i play on, i do consider my Hunter, the first character i ever made, my main. Not because i play him the most, but every time a new exspansion start, he's always my guy. regardless if i raid with my paladin, warlock, shaman or deathknight, my hunter is always right behind them.

I guess a better way to say it would be that, i don't have a solid main, but i have a solid main-alt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    You arguable need a main character if you participate in the more dedicated endgame activities, be it because your guild won't equip every of your toons or because you have a life outside of the game and aren't leeching off wellfare. Some people that play alot may get away with having 2 or 3 characters with high end equipment and activities, but that is usually more of an outlier. If you play the game just casually then there is probably no point in having a main or pretending to have one.

Switching main characters is fairly common though and depend mostly on the willignes of other to put up with your shit in group enviroments, since you drag the team down by constantly having to equip another character of yours. Mythic+ has lessened this as well to some degree, as did titanforging. Still most people probably have a main simply by time constraints and not wanting to grind out all the bullshit they already did again on another character.
    This is nonsense, I'm working on my degree, working full-time and maining Warlock in a guild that clears Mythic every tier for years.

I don't have alts exactly because I don't have free time to spare, so I concentrate on one character and raid Mythic two times a week, because that is really all you need to clear it. Then I do one M+ per week for chest and a bit of WQs for AP only usually most or that during a weekend when I get time to breathe between the studies.

Alts for me are unthinkable, I don't have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    This is nonsense, I'm working on my degree, working full-time and maining Warlock in a guild that clears Mythic every tier for years.

I don't have alts exactly because I don't have free time to spare, so I concentrate on one character and raid Mythic two times a week, because that is really all you need to clear it. Then I do one M+ per week for chest and a bit of WQs for AP only usually most or that during a weekend when I get time to breathe between the studies.

Alts for me are unthinkable, I don't have the time.
    You might want to get some sleep then, because I don't see where we disagreed with one another?

Why not? There other classes are there to be played, if you're happy to switch between characters, the game is more than willing to accomodate. Sure you'll struggle with grindy reps and the like, but chances are if you're switch characters often, that's probabaly not a major concern to you anyway (and it's not like (most) content isn't there to go back to later on)
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither have I, neither have lots of people. What's your point? I have three accounts full of characters. I laugh at people who only play one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    I have literally played this game for 10 years and have never had a main. With that said I more specifically mean that I have never hard core focused on any one class for a period of more than a couple months. I have literally played and to this day still have an account that has 1 of everything on it (almost all 110 also). With that said I tend to never have professions and maxed out anything at any given time because my time played is always split between multiple toons. I have never have max professions...whatever the current zone is I never have max reputations farmed...etc etc etc

WHY?
    What does it mean for someone to put years into something and still not have a main mean?
    That playstyle as far as progression goes is obviously bad right?
    Why dont i have a main? lol why why why ?

Ive always wanted to play at the top peak of performance but i just seem to never be focused on 1 single path
    This is your problem right here.

Stop chasing FOTM characters and pick something to buckle down with and push for the highest possible levels you can with just that one character.

Also, I think you may have ADD.

Deleted
    Well WoW devs put a lot of effort into gameplay (combat). It would be a waste to not explore all classes in at last more than just leveling content. To me having all classes at max level, trying out all specs at raids was always more important than just progressing with one character or achievements etc.