Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I've had 3 bulging discs for years. Narcotics aren't gonna help for ever...in the long term you have to live with it.

It sucks but that's just the way it is.
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    might want to structure your first paragraph and break it into 2 or 3 small ones. either that or i'm calling your english teacher and tell him/her to come and slap you alongside the head. i want to read your post but that first run on paragraph is so painful to read.
    finally got through that. sorry to hear that. not sure what to say.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2017-11-15 at 03:52 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

First, I'm very sorry for your diagnosis.

Second, yes, I have had a life altering diagnosis as well. I'm a two-time cancer fighter and currently in remission. As far as coping, I just kind of shut down and gave myself over to the medical professionals to do what they needed. I don't remember most of 2016. I had 5 surgeries and spent 111 days in the hospitals/cancer centers. I spent an additional 100+ days in quarantine. I had hundreds of injections/blood draws. At least 6 transfusions that I can remember. I was basically a shell for most of that year and remember thinking every holiday was my "last Christmas, last birthday, etc." I kind of remember starting to plan my funeral and will. Sometimes I think my wife had it worse than me because she was aware of everything going on. I was just kind of gone for 14 months. So, basically, I coped by just shutting down and listening to whatever the doctors said.

The best thing I think is to take it one day at a time. There’s no guarantee that the worst case scenario won’t happen, but there’s also no guarantee that it will. If anything you’re just more acutely aware of how nothing is a given in life. And it sucks. And it sometimes means your plans mean nothing. I’m probably not very comforting saying all that but I say it so that I can also say this. Each day, think about what is important for you personally to do, then do it. I’m not suggesting to live like there’s no tomorrow, I don’t think that’s ever realistic or helpful. But you can choose to be more directed in your own personal satisfaction every day, especially goal wise. Cut away the chaff. Focus on what is important to you. And be genuine in your interactions with your friends, family, and strangers. There’s a lot of bullshit peddlers out there. I’m suggesting you don’t put up with any.