Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Maybe the school should get out fo the business of policing what someone is wearing unless it is overtly obscene
    You put it right there, they already limit freedom of speech and expression. If you allow them to restrict based on what they deem to be offensive, you don't have much cause to complain when they do exactly that.

This is just a case of snowflakes being triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    I've asked this a few times, what part of the dresscode did he violate?
    The part that says don't ware disrespectful or inappropriate clothing... The school decides what is inappropriate and they clearly deiced this was.

Fine he has Free Speech, That doesn't mean he has Freedom from Consequences. He knew what wearing this shirt would do.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

"Tinker v. Des Moines. In their verdict, the court vindicated Tinker by saying students do not “shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.”

- - - Updated - - -

"Tinker v. Des Moines. In their verdict, the court vindicated Tinker by saying students do not “shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.”

I can just link this all day. LMK when you get it.
    But they really do. Schools limit free speech all the time. Let's see what happens if a kid tells a teacher to go fuck himself.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    The part that says don't ware disrespectful or inappropriate clothing... The school decides what is inappropriate and they clearly deiced this was.
    The word fake is what's triggering you? My god, how disrespectful, kids these days amiright?

- - - Updated - - -

I can just link this all day. LMK when you get it.
    Someone googled 'free speech in schools'.

You forgot this part "The Court ruled that the First Amendment applied to public schools, and school officials could not censor student speech unless it disrupted the educational process."

Pretty sure being a shitty little troll would fall under disruptive.

The word fake is what's triggering you? My god, how disrespectful, kids these days amiright?
    Didn't trigger me at all and nice childish argument. It falls under inappropriate clothing and disrespectful, take your pick but the kid is 100% in the wrong.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    While dress codes are annoying, preserving your relationship with a place that lets you visit as a school is just as important. To that end, removing an insulting shirt is acceptable in that context

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    But they really do. Schools limit free speech all the time. Let's see what happens if a kid tells a teacher to go fuck himself.
    According to the law, they really don't.

According to the law, they really don't.
    Then every dress code in every public school must be unconstitutional...

Or, you know, you should actually look into the matter a little bit more.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    While dress codes are annoying, preserving your relationship with a place that lets you visit as a school is just as important. To that end, removing an insulting shirt is acceptable in that context
    CNN are such assholes that they would bar any students from that school or district because one single student criticized them? You know how ridiculous that sounds right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    You don't understand that a kid wearing a 'Fake News Network' to CNN is disrespectful and disruptive?

It's no different form the kid walking around with a T-shirt full of pictures of vaginas and cocks.
    How so? CNN is a company that employs adults, are you saying they are going to be so offset by this shirt they cant continue on with their daily routine? Or are you saying that the kids will be laughing so hard the entire trip because of a shirt they wont learn anything? Either way, ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    So basically you admit to trying to troll me, where's endus lol.
    It's entirely relevant to the question though, isn't it? Here you are up in arms about a t-shirt you approve of, so I'm asking if you'd be so outraged over a shirt that annoyed you personally.

Ie, is this really a principle you're defending (as you're attempting to pretend) or are you just pushing a partisan agenda again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Public schools are government institutions paid for by the taxpayer.
    And yet if a student goes into school wearing a shirt that says "shut the fuck up you student cunt of a teacher" they're probably not going to get away with it scot-free.

Besides, I thought "fake news" at this point had become a term to derisively mock Trump's attempted serious use of the term?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    The school exercises then their own freedom of association (which extends from the freedom to speech) and removes the kid, or compels them to behave differently in some other way.
    Freedoms don't stop at the doors of schools, or anywhere at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    Then every dress code in every public school must be unconstitutional...

Or, you know, you should actually look into the matter a little bit more.
    I should look into it further? What have you contributed? Can you disprove this?

So whos right, you? Or the law?

Imagine if a class were to meet Trump, and a kid decided to wear a "Fuck Trump" or "Trump is a liar" shirt. Are you saying you guys would be just as upset if the school told him to take it off?

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    I don't care for your petty feuds.
    When in a forum, you speak to the gallery. Have some decorum.
    I'm sorry my point outraged you so much, I should think about the effect I'm having on people who butt into my discussions with others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    The school exercises then their own freedom of association (which extends from the freedom to speech) and removes the kid, or compels them to behave differently in some other way.
    Freedoms don't stop at the doors of schools, or anywhere at all.
    They really do stop. A kid cannot cuss out his teacher, and he has to follow a dress code.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love more freedom of speech, but then again, I want schooling to be privatized, so this would never be an issue.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    There is such a thing as being civilized yeah. School isn't a place for politics and trolling.
    Okay so you're so triggered by someone making fun of CNN that you cant even think clearly I guess. The good thing is the law and the schools reaction to being called out on this are clear. They were in the wrong, they fucked up.

CNN are such assholes that they would bar any students from that school or district because one single student criticized them? You know how ridiculous that sounds right?
    Yes lets put the blame on the school and CNN. Not the kid who wore a shirt to clearly get attention and start shit. Him wearing that shirt is no different then me wearing a shirt saying "Fuck the Police" while on a field trip to a police station.

Its disrespectful and inappropriate.

Schools also try to distance themselves from the political BS that is going on. Having students wearing a shirt that says "Fake News" goes against that.

Okay so you're so triggered by someone making fun of CNN that you cant even think clearly I guess. The good thing is the law and the schools reaction to being called out on this are clear. They were in the wrong, they fucked up.
    And people were clearly triggered by the school telling the kid to not be an asshole, and ditch the shirt. Such snowflakes...