Thread: American Food

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Diaspar View Post
    I've so far only tried American BBQ and hamburgers from "Chicago Meatpackers" in Germany. I could definitely feel the diabetes and heart disease creeping up on me, but damn if that wasn't some of the best food I've ever had. Really really delicious. Did I mention that the last time I ate there was more than 6 years ago? And that food is still fondly remembered. So damn delicious.

Other than that, I tried making some creole/cajun food by following either online recipes or youtube cooking videos. Turned out quite lovely, but I'm sure it didn't taste like the real thing. Though I still keep making those dishes, I just don't try to pretend it's authentic.
    IDK, if your using similar ingredients, im sure you're not far off.

I do love me some BBQ. Just curious, my EU friends, is having Charcoal or propane grills popular out there? I grill at least once or twice a week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    So, just to bring some levity to the forum, I was wondering what some of you European folks have to say about the American Food you've consumed (if any), and what Americans have thought about European food. What do you like, what do you think is gross, etc.

Personally, I love how in German Airports, you can buy pre-mixed cans of Jack and coke.
    What about Canadians? Why only Euros..

Deleted

I do love me some BBQ. Just curious, my EU friends, is having Charcoal or propane grills popular out there? I grill at least once or twice a week.
    Both are popular but it depends how lazy you are in my opinion, if you are using propane you may as well cook in your kitchen and save yourself the bother, charcoal gives a much better flavour but takes longer to set up and to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I can buy these at my local shop (and do, probably more than I should lol)

As for the food, I've tried to eat a lot of things when in the US but most just tasted... wrong. Fruit is much worse than I'm used to, for instance. Even just drinking coke was odd, in some way. Though I understand coke in the US is different to coke in the UK.

That said, I'm sure if I'd eaten at a restaurant or something, things would have been fine/what I expected.
    You folks got some great sweets/candy, though.
    I'm not sure how fruit would be different, I've visited the AU for example and it was all the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Both are popular but it depends how lazy you are in my opinion, if you are using propane you may as well cook in your kitchen and save yourself the bother, charcoal gives a much better flavour but takes longer to set up and to clean.
    It depends, some propane grills use radiant heat (it heats a big metal bowl which cooks the food) but I have both and a smoker as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    What about Canadians? Why only Euros..
    Canadians are pretty much Americans, even your accents are incredibly similar.

Where I come from, charcoal and briquettes are the most common things used to start and keep a fire going. And people who own those big stone outdoor "ovens" use various types of dried wood as well.

As for propane grills, haven't seen them used yet.

So, just to bring some levity to the forum, I was wondering what some of you European folks have to say about the American Food you've consumed (if any), and what Americans have thought about European food. What do you like, what do you think is gross, etc.

Personally, I love how in German Airports, you can buy pre-mixed cans of Jack and coke.
    You can buy that everywhere in germany, but the coke/jack ratio is appalingly low. Better mix your own.

As for american food: The comfort food is really good. You guys also made some nice improvements on your wine. I avoid prepackaged american foods like the plague, though, for all the syrup in it.

Deleted
    I've had American cheese, it's not very good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Euron Greyjoy View Post
    The thread is about food, not crimes against humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Euron Greyjoy View Post
    well, kraft American singles are nothing more than congealed oil with salt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It mostly just didn't taste as fresh, I guess.
    Guess it depends on what it was and the time of year.

Maybe I find an angel in here because I'm already very depressed about the fact that I can't get it right%

I'm looking for a recipe for burger/hot dog buns which are as soft as McDonald (but ofc taste much better). Already tried so many recipes and some of them were very tasty but none of them were as soft as the buns I ate back when I was in the US.

alligator is really delicious and has a very unique flavour
    Yes, chicken, with a fishy aftertaste is very unique...

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCoin View Post
    Maybe I find an angel in here because I'm already very depressed about the fact that I can't get it right%

I'm looking for a recipe for burger/hot dog buns which are as soft as McDonald (but ofc taste much better). Already tried so many recipes and some of them were very tasty but none of them were as soft as the buns I ate back when I was in the US.
    I don't know, most of those are pre-packaged.

I eat a lot of low-carb. Try making buns out of egg and parmesan cheese and baking them. It's tasty with no carbs at all!

Deleted
    Also tried spam a long time ago, not a fan either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its hard to imagine something less memorable than a McDonald's bun, but good luck to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Yes, chicken, with a fishy aftertaste is very unique...
    I never said fishy aftertaste did I? I reserve that statement for your mum.

Most American food is not really American just modified food from the rest of the world. Cajun food on the other hand is uniquely American and really something to be proud of, alligator is really delicious and has a very unique flavour, my local supermarket has just started selling freshly baked cornbread too and it was a big hit with all the family.
    Cajun food isn’t American either. It originated from French colonists who had settled in Canada and eventually wound up in Louisiana. All cuisine today is derived from something else. If American food isn’t American then the same can be said for every region on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    We're all appropriating from each other when you consider how many important ingredients are from the Americas.

Cajun/Creole food is the best.
    Cajun and Creole aren’t the same thing and have different origins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I wasn't overly impressed with the food in Florida

As for 'American Style' bought here it's usually always mediocre
    thats it, im triggered.

you can find all kinds of food in FL. Southern, BBQ, Cuban, Puerto African, Jamaican, Korean, Chinese, Mexican, Brazilian, New England. Or did you just eat at chains?

- - - Updated - - -

Most American food is not really American just modified food from the rest of the world. Cajun food on the other hand is uniquely American and really something to be proud of, alligator is really delicious and has a very unique flavour, my local supermarket has just started selling freshly baked cornbread too and it was a big hit with all the family.
    Hmm alligator tastes unique? Its basically water chicken.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    thats it, im triggered.

you can find all kinds of food in FL. Southern, BBQ, Cuban, Puerto African, Jamaican, Korean, Chinese, Mexican, Brazilian, New England. Or did you just eat at chains?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm alligator tastes unique? Its basically water chicken.
    We do not get many water chickens in Europe, even wikipedia notes the fishy taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Cajun and Creole aren’t the same thing and have different origins.
    I am familiar with the distinctions, would you have preferred "are the best"? The grammar is suspect either way.