Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced for PS4 and Nintendo Switch

So surprisingly after the terrible alt universe spin off "Valkyria Revolution" fans assumed would kill the franchise SEGA has revealed a 4th mainline VC game on PS4 and Switch and in some regions on xbone as well. The first game sold me on a PS3 10 years ago and i was not disappointed and remains my favourite game of last gen. The 2nd and 3rd games were cut down PSP sequels that were okay Peace Walker style smaller scale missions but just lacked the strategy j rpg big battles of the first.

So now it looks like instead of some rag tag militia from Bruhl we play as 'not russians' in the snowy north of europa with 5 evil Valkyria on the loose with a focus on skirmish war and winter survival.

Personally pretty damn excited. In a year with a nier and ace combat sequel already this is another check on the list of 'things i never thought was going to happen' i can't wait for.

Especially nice to see it on the switch, i'll probably stick to Playstation like all the others but VC2 and 3 on the go was nice so VC4 on the switch is a good fit.

Either way its time for cute girls doing /k/ things again!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the first one but never cared for the other two,
    I’ll probably get it for the switch.

First off, and I'm very glad that we are getting another main series VC game, especially since it's a fullblown triple-A quality title like VC1.

Second, I'm glad that we are getting to see more of Europa outside of Gallia. I was hoping for a game from the perspective of the Empire, but alas we have the Federation. The Federation has been depicted as a rather generic WW2 Allies stand in, so I'm really hoping that the developers do something more with it. What made the empire interesting was that it was basically Prussia, which is a rare sight to see in modern fiction, let alone a JRPG.

Third, I'm hoping that we get an actual playable Valkyria, with useable magical Valkyria powers. Maybe we'll get to play as the blue-haired ice lady wearing a fuzzy Russian cap and wielding a staff?

Fourth and most importantly, I'm hoping for a PC release. SEGA's kind of dropping the ball with no simultaneous console-PC release, but they can try to make up for it by putting out a PC port ASAP after release. Ofcourse, I'd rather have it be quality than a rushed port, but this is 2017, soon to be 2018: we shouldn't have to wait for an eventual PC port in the first place.

Finally, I'd love to see a behind-the-scenes or making-of video series of VC4!

Sega Japan doesn't give a shit about PC. The only time Sega Japan games get PC ports is when Sega of Europe takes a direct interest in them and ports them. The only Sega games that has happened at launch for are Sonic Generations and Sonic Forces.

So yea, don't be getting your hopes up that high about PC ports. There still isn't a single Yakuza game ported to PC. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but wouldn't put much hope in it being any sooner then the really late VC1 port was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Sega Japan doesn't give a shit about PC. The only time Sega Japan games get PC ports is when Sega of Europe takes a direct interest in them and ports them. The only Sega games that has happened at launch for are Sonic Generations and Sonic Forces.

So yea, don't be getting your hopes up that high about PC ports. There still isn't a single Yakuza game ported to PC. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but wouldn't put much hope in it being any sooner then the really late VC1 port was.
    https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017...4/#sf173744638

Given their recent attitude, it sounds like a VC4 PC port isn't that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017...4/#sf173744638

Given their recent attitude, it sounds like a VC4 PC port isn't that far off.
    Uhh, you link to a playstation blog about the ATLUS localization of the game? Not sure how you're connecting those dots. All they're talking about is getting the localization done faster. Atlus USA doesn't port anything and doesn't even have a programmer on their staff ffs. All they do is localize.

Until Sega of Europe has the game in their hands and the green light there will be no PC port, Sega Japan 100% ain't porting shit to PC. They're literally the only branch of Sega that has anything to do with PC, the fact ATLUS USA is localizing it is a red flag right off the bat that a PC port is probably much further out then you would like. If it was happening anytime soon it would have been announced. The Xbox One and Switch versions of the game are not coming out at the same time as the PS4 version but they where still announced.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-11-21 at 12:43 AM.

Been some more info in interviews. Looks like this is going to be more like VC1, they said "VC2 onwards focussed more on superpowered teens and schools for the japanese handheld audience but the console and pc reception in the west shows the regular soldiers against impossible odds was far more relatable and enjoyable to western gamers so that is our focus for this second home console release".
    So scaled back powers and none of 3's "BRING BACK THE ENTIRE ENEMY FORCE FROM THE DEAD" bullshit orders so a balanced pvp mode might be possible along with some comments about custom player created missions so as long as Scouts are more balanced this time it looks like good news on the gameplay front.

They also stated its been in production for 2 years so Valkyria Revolution wasn't a water testing release like folks thought but an experiment and nothing more. Along with a Sega of europe rep saying 'stick with us for news on the pc edition' and rumours of a PS4 exclusive super special edition 'for the original fanbase' it looks like everyone can enjoy it on every hardware this time. At least in our regions. Asia is getting no xbone version but in the west this is following the Sonic Mania route of "put it out on everything"

Personally i'm getting real excited, especially when they asked if theres interest in a Hyrule Historia type book for the series, i'm not usually a guy big into war games but the valkyria games just scratch a specific itch and i love the shit out of them and the more i hear the more excited i get for VC4.

1)It's fun and nice, looking for it.

2)Trolls are going to be enraged and call the game ''SJW'' since the villains are even less subtle Nazis than Star Wars Imperials (down to genociding the ''subtle as a sledgehammer'' Darcsen...)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    2)Trolls are going to be enraged and call the game ''SJW'' since the villains are even less subtle Nazis than Star Wars Imperials (down to genociding the ''subtle as a sledgehammer'' Darcsen...)
    Oh please, German states were hammering minorities well before the Nazi's and their holocaust. Ever heard of how the Prussians (which the Empire is based off of) treated foreigners or the non-Germanic peoples on their doorstep?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Been some more info in interviews. Looks like this is going to be more like VC1, they said "VC2 onwards focussed more on superpowered teens and schools for the japanese handheld audience but the console and pc reception in the west shows the regular soldiers against impossible odds was far more relatable and enjoyable to western gamers so that is our focus for this second home console release".
    So scaled back powers and none of 3's "BRING BACK THE ENTIRE ENEMY FORCE FROM THE DEAD" bullshit orders so a balanced pvp mode might be possible along with some comments about custom player created missions so as long as Scouts are more balanced this time it looks like good news on the gameplay front.
    I'm pretty excited too; I just want more gameplay and story the likes of the original VC. As for multiplayer, I'd rather that the devs focus on polishing the core singleplayer experience, and attempt multiplayer later if they have time and resources. Not sure how a tactics game would work in multiplayer (give everyone a time limit on their turn?)

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Oh please, German states were hammering minorities well before the Nazi's and their holocaust. Ever heard of how the Prussians (which the Empire is based off of) treated foreigners or the non-Germanic peoples on their doorstep?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty excited too; I just want more gameplay and story the likes of the original VC. As for multiplayer, I'd rather that the devs focus on polishing the core singleplayer experience, and attempt multiplayer later if they have time and resources. Not sure how a tactics game would work in multiplayer (give everyone a time limit on their turn?)
    Uh, dude, the original game have concentration camps and extermination squads...

Uh, dude, the original game have concentration camps and extermination squads...
    and just think in the original PS2 build the Darcsens were kemono animal girls. Thats a dark spin on kemono friends if ever there was one.

Once again, not original to Nazi. See Oliver Cromwell's subjugation of the Irish, the rounding up of Africans during the colonization of their continent, Native Americans rounded up during the westward push of settlers, Indians in South America rounded up during the Spanish conquests. Exterminations weren't invented by the Nazi's either; see the culling of Canaan, the Armenian genocide by the Ottoman empire...

1)It's fun and nice, looking for it.

Yea because a Japanese RPG that has fan service(even the first one had the beach episode(and all the rest had way more then that) if you think it won't have any you're delusional) is going to be called an "SJW" game by anyone...

What did I just read?

Yea because a Japanese RPG that has fan service(even the first one had the beach episode(and all the rest had way more then that) if you think it won't have any you're delusional) is going to be called an "SJW" game by anyone...

What did I just read?
    Well, Valkyria Chronicles was really unsubtle with the WW2 allegory. And you have not seen the edgelords cry over Wolfeinstein or Star Wars.

Well, Valkyria Chronicles was really unsubtle with the WW2 allegory. And you have not seen the edgelords cry over Wolfeinstein or Star Wars.
    You're grasping at microscopic straws.

If you really think this series is big enough to garner attention like Wolfenstein you been using some hardcore drugs.

To everyone who doesn't play this series they're just going to think it's another "anime game" and not think twice about it. This isn't some AAA release that is going to market itself as "lets kill nazis!" nor will it have any in your face "this is WW2" marketing. It's a fucking niche JRPG and only fans of the series know it's based on "not europe" and "totally not WW2".

But I'm sure the alt right is going to see some anime girl with glowing blue hands in the marketing and immediately realize it's a game about WW2 and be up in arms! ROFL. I still can't believe I'm reading this. For some reason you seem to want to bring this garbage in every thread you post in. This game has nothing to do with your silly GG or SJW issues, leave it out of here.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-11-23 at 06:23 PM.

You're grasping at microscopic straws.

If you really think this series is big enough to garner attention like Wolfenstein you been using some hardcore drugs.

To everyone who doesn't play this series they're just going to think it's another "anime game" and not think twice about it. This isn't some AAA release that is going to market itself as "lets kill nazis!" nor will it have any in your face "this is WW2" marketing. It's a fucking niche JRPG and only fans of the series know it's based on "not europe" and "totally not WW2".

But I'm sure the alt right is going to see some anime girl with glowing blue hands in the marketing and immediately realize it's a game about WW2 and be up in arms! ROFL. I still can't believe I'm reading this. For some reason you seem to want to bring this garbage in every thread you post in. This game has nothing to do with your silly GG or SJW issues, leave it out of here.
    I liked Valkyria Chronicles, but the ''NAZI RACIST INVADER'' allegory was blatantly obvious in the first game and the bit with Darcsen (granted, which for a Japanese might evoke the Burakamin or the Koreans) was the icing on the cake.

For the record, the alt-right is remarkably inept at picking animes that have an actual right-leaning message (a very hilarious one would be Attack on Titan, memeed to the death by edgelords, where the protagonists are revealed to be the handful of survivors of a nation scapegoated, persecuted, forced to live in ghettos and forced to wear armbands with a star on it...)

I liked Valkyria Chronicles, but the ''NAZI RACIST INVADER'' allegory was blatantly obvious in the first game and the bit with Darcsen (granted, which for a Japanese might evoke the Burakamin or the Koreans) was the icing on the cake.
    Of course it's obvious when you play the game.

It's not obvious to anyone who doesn't play the series. Not in the least.

Better come to PC fuckin Sega

Strategy and Tactics games flourish on PC. And the long term sales are infitnite vs its very limites console lifespan

Theres some speculation from the interviews going around that its going to have some survival aspects inspired by russian forces in the far north during WW2 that had to survive effectively like lone scavengers. Blizzards limit character view range, having to stay near fire to keep warm and keep up AP, choosing to spend ragnite on weapon research or keeping troops warm and alive, desertion if foods runs low and that kind of thing. If its true that could be interesting in terms of a type of warfare you dont see much in videogames but at worst could be an upkeep nightmare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Theres some speculation from the interviews going around that its going to have some survival aspects inspired by russian forces in the far north during WW2 that had to survive effectively like lone scavengers. Blizzards limit character view range, having to stay near fire to keep warm and keep up AP, choosing to spend ragnite on weapon research or keeping troops warm and alive, desertion if foods runs low and that kind of thing. If its true that could be interesting in terms of a type of warfare you dont see much in videogames but at worst could be an upkeep nightmare.
    Does add an additional dimension for any difficulty adjuster. It depends really on how lenient it is.