Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Georgia nurses laugh as 89-year-old WWII veteran dies gasping for air in video

https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-n...152050125.html

Hidden footage from 2014 shows the disturbing moment a group of nurses laughed as a World War II veteran repeatedly called for help and died.

The family of 89-year-old James Dempsey of Woodstock, Georgia, installed a hidden camera in his room at the Northeast Atlanta Health and Rehabilitation Center when he first moved in, fearing mistreatment.

The camera later captured the night he died.

The video showed Dempsey calling for help, even telling the nurses that he couldn't breathe at one point. It also showed nurses laughing as his breathing machine failed.

Dempsey's family initially thought the decorated veteran passed from natural causes. But after reviewing the footage, what Dempsey's family saw sparked a three-year legal battle.

According to WXIA-TV, the Dempsey family declined to comment on the case or video, citing a settlement with the nursing home.

However, the local station managed to obtain the footage after a DeKalb County Judge ruled to unseal the clip.

SEE ALSO: Hospital employees under fire for calling newborn 'mini Satan' and making baby dance to rap music

It wasn't until after the outlet sent a link to the footage of the incident to The Georgia Board of Nursing that the two nurses surrendered their licenses.

WXIA also reported that records show the nursing home has continued to have problems, including $813,000 in Medicare fines dating back to 2015. The station reported the institution received a good inspection report earlier this year, but still holds a one-star rating from Medicare.

It's pretty cold blooded that they can laugh as a WW2 veteran is dying in front of them. I'm glad to hear their licenses got pulled.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should be in fething jail, I hope they were also sued privately each, if it had been my family I'd have gone after them, their workplace and any place else they were tied to. I'd be out for blood for my family, the license would be a spit in the bucket!

PC: (Case) Phanteks - Eclipse P300, (Power Supply) Apevia - 750W ATX, (Vid) MSI - Radeon RX 580, (HD) Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB, (SSD) Transcend - MTS600
    (RAM) Corsair - 8GB x2, (Motherboard) ASRock - AB350, (CPU) AMD - Ryzen 5 1400, (OS) W10

----------------
    WoW player, GW2 Dabbler and the Girl Who Went Chasing Owls.

Bitches, good thing licences got pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    This goes against any common decency especially since they are the healthcare field. They need to start holding administrators and their reporting supervisors criminal accountable. They were negligent at the very least to what their employees were doing.
    Agreed, hopefully the family sues them in civil court

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    It's pretty cold blooded that they can laugh as a WW2 veteran is dying in front of them.
    Him being a "veteran" of any kind should have absolutely nothing to do with anything. If it does, it's a clear sign of blind, zealous uniform worship.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOW ok now I am actually pissed fuck this piece of shit, nothing funny about that, I really hate the way older folks are treated in our day and age like many vulnerable, this is soo fucking sad!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Not really. The way he died is unbecoming of anyone. I honestly think those bitches (the nurses) should be in jail for neglecting their duties.
    Yeah fuck that, we have to charge people who can't even act like decent fucking human beings. I'd rather deprive them of oxygen while everyone else watches laughing as they go.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    It's pretty cold blooded that they can laugh as a WW2 veteran is dying in front of them. I'm glad to hear their licenses got pulled.
    Medical personnel are very cold. Nothing in this video shows anything exceptionally unusual. The unusual thing is they were being recorded.

I am not endorsing laughing when someone is in distress, but I can understand it. You have to be somewhat dispassionate to do a job like that. And it is very difficult to maintain concentration through a lengthy night shift and behave in a totally appropriate sombre mode of professionalism.

There's a separate question as to whether they acted negligently in failing to help the man quickly enough. The video evidence looks damning but it doesn't show the whole story.

I'm guessing most of the outraged people in the thread haven't visited any one in a terminal ward recently, for which they should be thankful.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I hope is these disgusting bitches die in an alleyway starving and in the cold when they can't get work. This kinda thing should forever be out on permanent record for all employers to see.
    #boycottchina

Disgusting, I hope nobody should have to go through what this man did or their families.

I knew what the nurses looked like before I watched the video when I saw it was in Georgia. It should be treated as a hate crime, had it been reversed races it would be all over the news and been a huge story.

They should get jailed. I'm surprised however, that the video wasn't dismissed, seeing how it definitely couldn't be legally obtained. I can't believe you can go around installing spy cameras on premises you do not own, or have permission to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    The fact that he was a WW2 veteran is completely irrelevant to the story though.
    They always give descriptions of the victims to try to drum up more sympathy for them, it's not a new thing. "95 year old retired nurse killed in home invasion robbery" has more of an impact than "woman killed in home invasion robbery." Knowing a bit about the person helps us to empathize with them.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Holy shit, this is pure evil.

Licenses pulled? They should be killed.

I saw this on liveleak last week, the liveleak comments provide my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    What? Heroes deserve the best we can afford them, when they get mistreated it's naturally more disturbing due to the sacrifices they've made for us
    They say hero. We watched a video. But where's the context?
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

Agreed, hopefully the family sues them in civil court
    For what? They are not at fault his breathing machine failed.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What? Heroes deserve the best we can afford them, when they get mistreated it's naturally more disturbing due to the sacrifices they've made for us
    So true. Those nurses should serve some jail time for their total lack of respect and failure to do their job.

WWII vet. Hero. The two go hand in hand
    people have different definitions of "hero"

Oh Georgia, your people never fail to find new ways to disappoint me.