Thread: New Razer Phone

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New Razer Phone

So I got the new Razer Phone recently and I must say so far it is pretty damn good!

I am particularly in love with the speakers and the quality of the audio! (The lack of headphone jack does not bother me either, but I get that it would some people).

Overall it is a sturdy phone with great specs.

The 120Hz display is very much noticeable and it really enhances the exerience with games, anime and overall browsing.

Does anyone else have it or thinking about getting it?

15+ Year Old Account
    How exactly does 120hz ehance the experience with games and anime when the hardware is not enough to push the game to 120fps?
    I think you're seeing a placebo effect from upgrading from your old phone which had worse CPU and GPU.
    120hz on a phone is a gimmick since mobile specs are shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    How exactly does 120hz ehance the experience with games and anime when the hardware is not enough to push the game to 120fps?
    I think you're seeing a placebo effect from upgrading from your old phone which had worse CPU and GPU.
    A gimmick if there is evidence behind that claim.
    Potentially not if there isn't.

Saying mobile specs are bad isn't evidence.
    Specific examples even doesn't exclude some content achieving that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The screen might force 120 using fill frames.
    Still the phone sounded extremely gimmicky from the get go. I mean, gaming.... Phone? But depending on how much it costs, it might just be a decently priced handset, gimmick aside.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    A gimmick if there is evidence behind that claim.
    Potentially not if there isn't.

Saying mobile specs are bad isn't evidence.
    Specific examples even doesn't exclude some content achieving that.
    So you're telling me that a GPU worse than Intel HD 620 can push games at 120hz on 1440p resolution?
    Tell me where the magic is.

So you're telling me that a GPU worse than Intel HD 620 can push games at 120hz on 1440p resolution?
    Tell me where the magic is.
    Same dismissal as before.
    Do you actually have evidence of that, or it is just "because you say so".
    I said there were two sides, that it has potential if true and is a gimmick if false.
    I did not simply say it were true or false, so the burden of evidence is on you.
    You simply say it is one way, and twice failed to give actual evidence.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-11-22 at 09:41 PM.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzimar View Post
    So I got the new Razer Phone recently and I must say so far it is pretty damn good!

I am particularly in love with the speakers and the quality of the audio! (The lack of headphone jack does not bother me either, but I get that it would some people).

The 120Hz display is very much noticeable and it really enhances the exerience with games, anime and overall browsing.

So there's no headphone jack. So when you play games on you GAMING PHONE in the bus or places like that, where it's excusable to blaspheme games, you are forced to make everyone listen to it? Or play without sound?

What I really mean is what the fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    So there's no headphone jack. So when you play games on you GAMING PHONE in the bus or places like that, where it's excusable to blaspheme games, you are forced to make everyone listen to it? Or play without sound?

it does have a usb-c port for head phones
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post

Wireless headphones son, wireless headphones...

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    it does have a usb-c port for head phones
    Why in the fucking hell would anyone buy extra shit with this already expensive gimmick thing to do something that shouldn't even be allowed?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sar- View Post
    Wireless headphones son, wireless headphones...
    There you read that too.

I said there were two sides, that it has potential if true and is a gimmick if false.
    I did not simply say it were true or false, so the burden of evidence is on you.
    No need to be obtuse.

We can clearly go look at the specs and see that the Razer phone is running an Adreno 540. It's a decent chip, but it's not new or unique to this phone. There are plenty of benchmarks out there which demonstrate that this will achieve nowhere near 120fps in pretty much all modern mobile games and won't even hit 60 avg in many as well. So even if it is a true 120hz screen and not just some MCFI, it wouldn't matter because it will never achieve that or anywhere near it in most games; the fact that it's 120hz would hilariously only come into play while checking your email and browsing. With that said, it's a clear marketing gimmick but that's no surprise because that's what Razer does just like others such as Monster, Alienware, etc...

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you pulling my leg?
    Jesus I don't even know why I bother but here:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Qualco....207856.0.html
    About 10-15% faster than Intel HD 615.

I'm not even going to compare it to 620 because Core i7 CPU will smoke everything mobile has to offer, 10 times over.
    But theoretically Adreno 540 is about as fast as HD 630.

And Intel HD 620-640 are junk at even 1080p resolution, not to mention 1440p resolution.

Also, most mobile games are locked to max 60 fps, making 120hz screen obsolete. A gimmick for gaming.

Change your name.

No desire to play games or watch much of anything on a phone, ever. I do like Razer stuff though (when there aren't giant security holes in their drivers that is)

I actually didn't expect this much hostility and hate against a phone. I also didn't think people would seriously compare it to a damn computer.

The specs of this phone are by far the best you can get in a phone right now and I HAVE one , I am giving my experience based on actually owning one.

People need to chill their beans here and realise that all the complaints you are making are, well FALSE.

- - - Updated - - -

I would use headphones, ya know with the usb c port, with the headphones that come with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Anyone with less than a 27" 4K screen (preferably 3 of those) and a proper HiFi 5.1 system (not that rubbish "gaming" garbage, actual HiFi) is plebs and won't ever begin to have any respect from the gamer in me. (The required hardware to drive that stuff is obviously included.) I'll never understand mobile gaming and browsing. The sacrifices are just way too tremendous. I couldn't even live without my trustee up-to-date proper PC and a 4K + projector (and above 3m wide screen) for movie night and a 2K for skype, servers, PDFs and that sort of crap. The "mobile generation" has been successfully devolved into less demanding, less visionary humans. What an utter shameful time.
    The market doesnt even offer good 4k monitors for gaming above 100hz but yeah i dont respect you dude because you dont own a 1200$ monitor to play minecraft,CS or Lol on it... near all pros play on fast 1080-1440p monitors but its not 4k so no respect. I think you are just baiting here.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzimar View Post

Not that it's a huge deal to me personally but the camera on this phone is absolute garbage.

Are you pulling my leg?
    Jesus I don't even know why I bother but here:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Qualco....207856.0.html
    About 10-15% faster than Intel HD 615.

I'm not even going to compare it to 620 because Core i7 CPU will smoke everything mobile has to offer, 10 times over.
    But theoretically Adreno 540 is about as fast as HD 630.

And Intel HD 620-640 are junk at even 1080p resolution, not to mention 1440p resolution.

Also, most mobile games are locked to max 60 fps, making 120hz screen obsolete. A gimmick for gaming.

Change your name.
    No I am not.
    I asked you a simple question.
    You stated it was a gimmick, simply because you said so.
    Provide evidence, or stop making that claim.

Repeating the same "because I say it is" does not make it true.
    Put your money where your mouth is, and try to back up your statement.
    I asked a simple question, one which would prove it one way or the other.
    You refuse to answer that.

Prove to me you aren't lying.

Performance of different content on a different platform is not evidence.
    But a smokescreen instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    No I am not.
    I asked you a simple question.
    You stated it was a gimmick, simply because you said so.
    Provide evidence, or stop making that claim.

Repeating the same "because I say it is" does not make it true.
    Put your money where your mouth is, and try to back up your statement.
    I asked a simple question, one which would prove it one way or the other.
    You refuse to answer that.

Prove to me you aren't lying.

Performance of different content on a different platform is not evidence.
    But a smokescreen instead.
    He actually linked a source according to which adreno 540 (the gpu used in the phone in question) can't manage to run GFXBench 3.0 faster than 60 fps, so 120hz screen is indeed pointless
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    He actually linked a source according to which adreno 540 (the gpu used in the phone in question) can't manage to run GFXBench 3.0 faster than 60 fps, so 120hz screen is indeed pointless
    No, that is a benchmark, one specific case.
    What I asked for was evidence that the screen is offering no benefit to any content.
    One specific, and intentionally demanding case does not prove that the screen isn't offering benefit to other content.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-11-23 at 08:05 AM.

How does it compare to the newer iPhones? Serious question, not troll. I only upgrade my phones every 3-4 years and I'm still happy with my iPhone 6s (other than the fact that I kinda regret cheaping out and getting the 16 gig version) so I might have to take a look at the Razer the next time around. Is the major selling point just playing games on it, though? I pretty much don't play games at all, so I'd be more concerned with general functionality, a good camera, etc.

EDIT: lol are they selling a normal USB plug branded with a "Razer" logo for $40? Please tell me that's something more than a brick I can get on Amazon for ~$5.

EDIT 2: Is the 64 gigs onboard storage with an additional SD slot, or is the 64 gigs a card that comes with the phone?
    Last edited by Xargoth6634; 2017-11-23 at 08:09 AM.