10+ Year Old Account

What makes someone your friend or even BEST FRIEND?

What makes someone your friend or even your best friends?

What qualities do they have that make them a friend, what qualities do you have that make you a friend?
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-11-22 at 02:25 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you bored this morning? lol!

But I will play along. Would have to say loyalty. If you unreliable, then you are not a friend. If you can not trust someone, then they are not a friend. So, trust and loyalty. Sort of go together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Are you bored this morning? lol!

But I will play along. Would have to say loyalty. If you unreliable, then you are not a friend. If you can not trust someone, then they are not a friend. So, trust and loyalty. Sort of go together.
    Haha no but it's sort of the Eve before Thanksgiving GP, thinking about family and friends. It's been a long time coming so, it stands to ask the question. I mean we don't pick our family especially extended, but we do our friends.

So being thankful, that is for sure something to be thankful over along with family over stuff right?

I like the loyalty thing, I agree, I think it's time and trust, someone who it doesn't always matter who is right or wrong, but someone who you look forward to sharing the day or planning time together, like going to see a movie or just hanging out.

Someone who like family won't hesitate for a second to call you out on your bullshit or won't kiss your ass, but will always be there for you and back you up when you need them. someone who will or does put their needs on the back burner for yours when needed and vice verse.

In my Opinion, but I like your response Loyalty, but I would go with Trust.

A close personal relationship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    History, trust, common interests, and the nexus of mutual compatibility of personality coupled with varied personal traits.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

in a word trust.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Haha no but it's sort of the Eve before Thanksgiving GP, thinking about family and friends. It's been a long time coming so, it stands to ask the question. I mean we don't pick our family especially extended, but we do our friends.

So being thankful, that is for sure something to be thankful over along with family over stuff right?

I like the loyalty thing, I agree, I think it's time and trust, someone who it doesn't always matter who is right or wrong, but someone who you look forward to sharing the day or planning time together, like going to see a movie or just hanging out.

Someone who like family won't hesitate for a second to call you out on your bullshit or won't kiss your ass, but will always be there for you and back you up when you need them. someone who will or does put their needs on the back burner for yours when needed and vice verse.

In my Opinion, but I like your response Loyalty, but I would go with Trust.

A close personal relationship.
    For sure.

Trust is a good pick. But you can not have trust without having loyalty. Showing loyalty builds trust. But you can not have a good friendship without trust. Or a good marriage, without ether of them. Or a good working relationship. I have some family members I do not trust. They are not friends. Then, I have some family members I consider to be friends also. Because I trust them. But that trust was made strong by them showing loyalty.

10+ Year Old Account
    For sure.

Trust is a good pick. But you can not have trust without having loyalty. Showing loyalty builds trust. But you can not have a good friendship without trust. Or a good marriage, without ether of them. Or a good working relationship. I have some family members I do not trust. They are not friends. Then, I have some family members I consider to be friends also. Because I trust them. But that trust was made strong by them showing loyalty.
    Interesting, I don't agree but interesting. I think loyalty can be a dangerous thing, I think consistency builds trust conviction of someone's will or practice. Loyalty on the other hand can be enabling, I mean sure as I said having your back is important but being honest and telling the truth isn't always viewed as loyal.

And in private sometimes a friend needs to know how you feel especially if you feel they are wrong. The courage and character to tell you that you are wrong, or something is wrong when they feel it no matter what.

But i do like Loyalty because I do like that just value trust a bit more.

trust and loyalty
    Nah. There is no reason to be loyal to a friend who does anything you don't agree with. Trusting someone doesn't mean they are my friend, it just means I am willing to interact with them until I don't trust them.

10+ Year Old Account
    A friend will help you move a couch.

A best friend will help you move a body.

when they troll me softly
    hit & run posting lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting, I don't agree but interesting. I think loyalty can be a dangerous thing, I think consistency builds trust conviction of someone's will or practice. Loyalty on the other hand can be enabling, I mean sure as I said having your back is important but being honest and telling the truth isn't always viewed as loyal.

And in private sometimes a friend needs to know how you feel especially if you feel they are wrong. The courage and character to tell you that you are wrong, or something is wrong when they feel it no matter what.

But i do like Loyalty because I do like that just value trust a bit more.
    But I am sure you would not trust someone who had shown they were not loyal. Showing loyalty is like if you disagree with what your friend is doing, you would not go behind their back and complain about it. You would confront them personally. That is showing loyalty to the friendship. A child learns to trust their parents by experiencing the loyalty their parents show when they are being raised. I think we feel we trust someone because we want to. But it is when the one we are wanting to trust, shows they can be, is when trust has it strongest impact on a relationship.

Only when a relationship is tested do we know for sure it is based on trust. And having respect for something or someone, is not the same as trusting them. One needs to be careful with assumed trust.

Not trying to be argumentative. Or saying you are wrong. Just some more food for thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

That is soo disturbing, and at the same time true. LOL

Best friends let you put it in their butt.
    Both figurative and literal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Even a stranger may be willing to do that.

A best friend would want to know why and the circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    But I am sure you would not trust someone who had shown they were not loyal. Showing loyalty is like if you disagree with what your friend is doing, you would not go behind their back and complain about it. You would confront them personally. That is showing loyalty to the friendship. A child learns to trust their parents by experiencing the loyalty their parents show when they are being raised. I think we feel we trust someone because we want to. But it is when the one we are wanting to trust, shows they can be, is when trust has it strongest impact on a relationship.

Only when a relationship is tested do we know for sure it is based on trust. And having respect for something or someone, is not the same as trusting them. One needs to be careful with assumed trust.

Not trying to be argumentative. Or saying you are wrong. Just some more food for thought.
    Yeah probably odd here but, I would, I could never expect for instance a friend to be more over loyal to me than to themselves, I could never do that. Because on some level they really have to take care of themselves physically and mentally. I am not sure, which is why I said trust is important.

If a friend said look Mall if you go through with this I am not going to back you up, or took me aside and said I think you are wrong. I trust that they might not tell me I am an asshole at the drop of a hat, but I can respect that they also care about themselvesf and have your own convictions.

That way if they are doing something with me, I tend to trust that, I don't see friendship as doing what I want or thinking however the way others want, friendship is valuing the other person as much as yourself or more when the situation warrants it.

Trust is earned and so is loyalty, I rather a friend who tells me the truth when it's difficult than a friend who will kiss my ass to make me feel better and I am wrong, I mean they could be wrong too.

But generally people that don't value themselves don't have the capacity to really care for others, because they have no point of reference to compare, In my opinion of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Even a stranger may be willing to do that.

A best friend would want to know why and the circumstances.
    True on the second part.

But a Stranger is just another witness you have to kill, sooo nah! LOL

Come on you seen Goodfellas you know the rules you know where this ends up.

Jimmy told them not to buy anything!
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-11-22 at 03:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah probably odd here but, I would, I could never expect for instance a friend to be more over loyal to me than to themselves, I could never do that. Because on some level they really have to take care of themselves physically and mentally. I am not sure, which is why I said trust is important.

If a friend said look Mall if you go through with this I am not going to back you up, or took me aside and said I think you are wrong. I trust that they might not tell me I am an asshole at the drop of a hat, but I can respect that they also care about themselvesf and have your own convictions.

That way if they are doing something with me, I tend to trust that, I don't see friendship as doing what I want or thinking however the way others want, friendship is valuing the other person as much as yourself or more when the situation warrants it.

Trust is earned and so is loyalty, I rather a friend who tells me the truth when it's difficult than a friend who will kiss my ass to make me feel better and I am wrong, I mean they could be wrong too.

But generally people that don't value themselves don't have the capacity to really care for others, because they have no point of reference to compare, In my opinion of course.

- - - Updated - - -

True on the second part.

But a Stranger is just another witness you have to kill, sooo nah! LOL

Come on you seen Goodfellas you know the rules you know where this ends up.

Jimmy told them not to buy anything!
    Some good points. But as Dirty Harry said, " Every man needs to know his limitations." So I know when I can trust myself and what my weakness are. Be confident when you are sure of trust and cautious when you are not so sure. Even of yourself.

It is can be true with the first part also. I have had total strangers help me before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some good points. But as Dirty Harry said, " Every man needs to know his limitations." So I know when I can trust myself and what my weakness are. Be confident when you are sure of trust and cautious when you are not so sure. Even of yourself.

It is can be true with the first part also. I have had total strangers help me before.
    Very true, wise words enough. I have had someone of no blood, not a friend right away who helped my sorry ass, and helped me learn and gave me a shot in life when I didn't deserve one, and it benefited my life.

That's a rare though, so yeah I get what you are saying, I think that is why it's always better when you can to hold doors open for other people even especially when you don't have to and they might not appreciate it, because someone who deserves it does, even though they aren't a friend tough.

A friendship is a bond tough, I think a friendship can help a person grow.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-11-22 at 03:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very true, wise words enough. I have had someone of no blood, not a friend right away who helped my sorry ass, and helped me learn and gave me a shot in life when I didn't deserve one, and it benefited my life.

That's a rare though, so yeah I get what you are saying, I think that is why it's always better when you can to hold doors open for other people even especially when you don't have to and they might not appreciate it, because someone who deserves it does, even though they aren't a friend tough.

A friendship is a bond tough, I think a friendship can help a person grow.
    Absolutely. Well said. Doing so out of unselfish motivations, is a way to show you are just being a kind and compassionate person. Which can be a reflection of who you are.

Also very true on the second part. " A person is never alone who has friends." Another quote taking from another movie. It's a Wonderful Life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely. Well said. Doing so out of unselfish motivations, is a way to show you are just being a kind and compassionate person. Which can be a reflection of who you are.

Also very true on the second part. " A person is never alone who has friends." Another quote taking from another movie. It's a Wonderful Life.
    Wise words in any event, and It's a Wonderful Life is a classic, wonder when TCM will start running it.