Thread: Case Fans Issue

Case Fans Issue

I have a pretty new computer, 4-5 months old, and lately when I turn on my computer, 1 fan in the back & 1 fan in the front struggle to start spinning, they just kinda stutter in place, so Ive been just nudging it with a paperclip and they will start going.

I assume its not a power issue since everything else starts up? Do the fans just need something to help them spin? Id hate to replace them already.

10+ Year Old Account
    My bet is that the fans are PWM fans and temperature controlled via the motherboard. Meaning that they'll only start spinning once the temp reaches a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    My bet is that the fans are PWM fans and temperature controlled via the motherboard. Meaning that they'll only start spinning once the temp reaches a certain point.
    Possibly, but why would they seem to struggle to start spinning and then start spinning after I push it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpbladez View Post
    Possibly, but why would they seem to struggle to start spinning and then start spinning after I push it?
    Could be that the fans are voltage controlled. At about 5V or just below most fans won't have the power to spin up, but if you give them a push they can often keep spinning since the startup phase requires a tiny amount of higher voltage. If they're just at the threshold where they can almost start spinning they might be "twitching".

Did you check inside the case to see if there is nothing pushing against them?

15+ Year Old Account
    From what is written I have to agree with Shakadam's notation of it.

The board is delivering too little voltage for the fans to start, as with any electronics device startup requires more energy than when it's "cruising".
    Simply adjust your board's fan curve and set it to either a higher voltage or higher %-age start-off point.

Should fix everything, doesn't need to be a huge step, 5-10% often does it.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    The board is delivering too little voltage for the fans to start, as with any electronics device startup requires more energy than when it's "cruising".
    Simply adjust your board's fan curve and set it to either a higher voltage or higher %-age start-off point.
    This actually makes the most sense to me, but where do I change the voltage? I looked in the BIOS & didnt see any obvious place to change it.

Im gonna give it a couple more days & not change anything yet. I might be getting impatient & not giving it enough time to warm up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpbladez View Post
    This actually makes the most sense to me, but where do I change the voltage? I looked in the BIOS & didnt see any obvious place to change it.

Im gonna give it a couple more days & not change anything yet. I might be getting impatient & not giving it enough time to warm up.
    That's fully dependent on the motherboard.. most OEMs (like Dell/HP/Fujitsu) do not have it and the more expensive the board the higher the control you get.

Others can use Windows software to change it... or in the BIOS (you can only enter that when the PC is powering up).

Explore there a bit and see if you can find it if not.. tell us what you have.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

So the fans are still not starting on their own no matter how long the computer is on or how many programs I try to run at once. My motherboard is: b350m bazooka (ms-7a38)

im thinking its also possible my motherboards drivers havent been updated, but i dont know how to check & there were a bunch of different downloads on the motherboards website.

15+ Year Old Account
    Like I've stated, change the fan curves in the BIOS.

I am unfortunately not familiar enough with MSI boards to tell you where to find the fan curves in the BIOS, you'll have to find those either by others telling you where or find it yourself in the BIOS.
    All you have to do is mes with the curves, see if there's a direct %-age fan speed option and mess with it till the starting value is enough to run the motor of the fan.