Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is 4k the new standard now?

Would I be shooting myself in the foot going 1080? Or is now the time to jump on 4k?

Don't see the need to get a 4k screen for PC yet. there arent really any GFX cards that will handle any of the latests games at that resolution without you getting a really high end card.

As long as you have a top of the line PC to support it go for it. If not, stick with 1080p for the meanwhile. 1080p monitors are dirt cheap so it's not like you can't replace it.

4K is becoming more common, but you still need a beefy setup to get a decent framerate with it. In addition, the highest possible monitor refresh rates for it right now are 100Hz. Another option is 1440p 144Hz if you want that higher refresh rate. It's what I have been using and I'm quite happy with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not even close.

27" 1440p is the sweet spot unless you want an enormous display.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Not quite, but we're rapidly getting there.

I think for TVs I think its the new standard. I dont really know why though, I would have preferred going to 21:9 aspect ratio instead.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    I think for TVs I think its the new standard. I dont really know why though, I would have preferred going to 21:9 aspect ratio instead.
    Particularly given that there is almost no 4k content for TVs. Major broadcasters just hit full 1080p adoption like... 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Particularly given that there is almost no 4k content for TVs. Major broadcasters just hit full 1080p adoption like... 2 years ago.
    Netflix has a growing lineup of 4k programming
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Netflix has a growing lineup of 4k programming
    Good luck with that. If you live anywhere where there is no ISP competition (I.E. most of the US), you cant stream in 4K unless you love blowing your data cap in a week.

We have Sling for our TV service, and i set it to stream at 1080p with a fixed DL rate (2.8Mb/s). With just that, we run ~700GB a month (out of a 1TB cap). Add in online gaming (Wolfenstein is 50GB...) and patches and a few Youtube videos, and were averaging ~900+ GB, and ive gone over once (out of the two “grace” momths Comcast allows you before they start charging you 10$ for every 5GB you go over..)

Im looking at having to switch to Business Class (slower speeds - 50 down/10 up, instead of the 75 down/15 up) at 110$ a month (versus the 70$ a month for my current service) just so i can use streaming to replace tv and also install more than one or two games a month without getting gouged out the ass.

FullHD is the standard, and still half of laptops are sold with HD screens, just like they have been for almost a decade now. 4K is far away.

Good luck with that. If you live anywhere where there is no ISP competition (I.E. most of the US), you cant stream in 4K unless you love blowing your data cap in a week.

We have Sling for our TV service, and i set it to stream at 1080p with a fixed DL rate (2.8Mb/s). With just that, we run ~700GB a month (out of a 1TB cap). Add in online gaming (Wolfenstein is 50GB...) and patches and a few Youtube videos, and were averaging ~900+ GB, and ive gone over once (out of the two “grace” momths Comcast allows you before they start charging you 10$ for every 5GB you go over..)

Im looking at having to switch to Business Class (slower speeds - 50 down/10 up, instead of the 75 down/15 up) at 110$ a month (versus the 70$ a month for my current service) just so i can use streaming to replace tv and also install more than one or two games a month without getting gouged out the ass.
    Data caps are scams bro, my ISP doesnt do that crap

10+ Year Old Account
    4K is not standard, it's the next threshold to beat and technology is still not there. It will become standard in like 2-3 years when you will have a bunch of good and inexpensive 4K monitors with decent parameters (as opposed to basic 60Hz offerings we have now for astronomic prices) and mainstream video cards capable of pushing latest titles in 4K at decent frame rate and with good detail levels.

We're not there yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    Your ISP does plenty other crap you don't even notice, like traffic shaping for example, they all do, otherwise they would be out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    Comcasr, Wide Open West, Cox, Charter, and Verizon (FIOS) all have data caps for consumer/residential service....

And between them, cover almost 90% of US households, and in most cases have no competition (effective local monopolies) - only in about 10% of markets do they have another company competing with them, and even in those markets the competition is usually a DSL provider that cannot really be called competition due to abysmal speeds and requiring being within 3 cable miles of a switching station or (extremely expensive) repeater station. The fastest DSL i can get, at 1 cable mile from the switch, is 12Mbps. That wont even cover a 4k stream. My only other option? Fucking Comcast.

I don't have a data cap with my plan.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I don't have a data cap with my plan.
    And your provider is?

I'd go 1440p 144hz for now. In a few years when GPUs are more powerful, I'd go 4k.

Assuming you mean for gaming of course. If it's just browsing / netflix / work, you could futureproof with a 4k monitor.

And your provider is?
    Shaw Cable

No 4k is not a thing, yet.. With Net Neutrality going away, it will probably push 4k streaming even further back, as rest of the Western world usually follows the US in market trends and such.

And what comes to gaming, you'd be waiting for a truly capable GPU for a year or so and another year or two for it to not be half of your budget. Monolithic design is too big and expensive, so till we get MCM GPUs(maybe next year), it's probably better to wait if you want 4k.

On the other hand 1440p is another option. It won't have much supported media and such, but for gaming it's probably the "it" region atm. Panels are cheap, GPUs can easily drive high FPS and you still get increased work space without having to resort to scaling.

Comcasr, Wide Open West, Cox, Charter, and Verizon (FIOS) all have data caps for consumer/residential service....

And between them, cover almost 90% of US households, and in most cases have no competition (effective local monopolies) - only in about 10% of markets do they have another company competing with them, and even in those markets the competition is usually a DSL provider that cannot really be called competition due to abysmal speeds and requiring being within 3 cable miles of a switching station or (extremely expensive) repeater station. The fastest DSL i can get, at 1 cable mile from the switch, is 12Mbps. That wont even cover a 4k stream. My only other option? Fucking Comcast.
    Charter and Centurylink are both offered in my area. Neither have data caps. Centurylink had data caps on everything below their gigabit tier, but they got rid of the cap a little while ago. I have transferred terabytes for months on end using both. This month on my Centurylink Gigabit, I'm already at almost a terabyte and its only the 9th of the month.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS