Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Something about Warlocks

    So there was a forum going on that had people consistently getting mad over a game, like so many people do anymore. It was about resilence and dots.

    My main is a rogue, Coconuter on Darkspear, I'm much into pve, however, I look at a lot of things and tend to take in a bunch more that others tend to leave out I think.

    My alt is a warlock, all I do is pvp, pvp, pvp, because it's easy as hell to beat people down with warlocks in pvp. This just proves that many specs of a warlocks is easy to play and adapt to, however, playing one as long as I have in pvp, and having had played with many other classes that comment on them I've learned a few things.

    Now, I'm going to stick to more arena type stuff because that seems to be the big issue.

    One is that people consistently feel that DoTs are extremely over powered along with the warlock class; I feel its people not knowing quite what to do with a warlock and the DoTs.

    Sure you can say wow they are an instant cast that do lots of damage, and so on. Compared to (lets go to the big mage arguement) a fireball that you have to cast to do instant damage. So many people see the dot as being so much better, and for moving you bet it is. However, unlike an instant high amount of damage a DoT can be stopped. Yes people, all warlock dot's can be dispelled, otherwise they'd just stick amplify curse CoD on you and avoid everthing you do for a minute with a couple of fears.

    My suggestion is that people go play a warlock to learn more about their weaknesses, just like you play a class to learn its strengths. Theres ways around everything in the game, you just have to know what to do in order to get a good chance at succeeding.

    As for the mages whining about warlocks being terribly overpowered and such and dots, get a pally clense it. You have to learn what you need for things you cant deal with well.

    My last arena partner everytime 2 mages were on a team, went invisible, then BAM goes AP PoM pyro and bye bye priest; not leaving me in a good situation.

    I'm not saying that resilience should or shouldn't do something, I'm just saying you need to be more open minded to see more of a picture. And don't go into the whole name calling thing, its a game over the internet and if your truly mad about it then your very childish.

    My example about being open minded, a girl you really like walks by, your gonna think shes beautiful, even if shes just alright looking because your blinded to only see the good. Think about stuff and consider the good and bad.
    and then he cupped my balls...

  2. #2

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Yep, you're right.
    But I have one complaint: CoD only works on PvE targets

  3. #3

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    The main reasoning behind blizz adding DoT damage mitigation to resilience is, well in my mind, as more and more arena seasons go by - the new gladiator armor sets are going to have incredible amounts of resilience. It may even get to the point where critical strikes will be near impossible to strike on people since most people reduce thier crit rates for surviability. This is when DoTs will scale significantly better than direct damage abilities. It's not so much a nerf as it is a balancing.

    And sadly, unstable affliction isnt easily stopped. Bubble and Iceblock are the only ways to get out of it safely. As soon as a lock throws up UA, most people will stop cleansing, allowing all your DoTs (except CoA) to eat away at the person.

    I see where you're comming from though.

  4. #4

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    As a frost mage, teaming with a resto druid in 2v2, the only really, REALLY annoyning thing about warlocks is there freaking felhunter. Most of them resist like 50% of ur spell, and if you hit, it resist 50% of the damage, eat ur mana and buffs, and silence you every once in a while. DoTs i dont care, i just IB and clear them all out(thats if i dont spellsteal their Sacrifice bubble). but the freaking felhunter need to be nurfed, and should be almost as easily to kill as the imp imo.

  5. #5

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfury
    As a frost mage, teaming with a resto druid in 2v2, the only really, REALLY annoyning thing about warlocks is there freaking felhunter. Most of them resist like 50% of ur spell, and if you hit, it resist 50% of the damage, eat ur mana and buffs, and silence you every once in a while. DoTs i dont care, i just IB and clear them all out(thats if i dont spellsteal their Sacrifice bubble). but the freaking felhunter need to be nurfed, and should be almost as easily to kill as the imp imo.
    typical mage whiner.... go back and read "DoTs i dont care, i just IB and clear them all out". Then he has the nerve to complain about the pet. On a druid/mage team both can decurse. That means that you are pretty much immune to a lot of warlock abilities. You can also IB out of a whole stack of effects. Don't forget you have a pet also that hits unreasonably hard while a lock pet does litle or no dammage at all. Your 2v2 team has so much crowd control and survivability. I think the problem here is you need to L2P.

  6. #6

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    IMO one reason why they are balancing it like so, is that every class should be able to handle attacks from each class, including a warlock. We shouldn't be forced to have the cleansing classes in a 2v2 group just to be able to do that. And most of the time if you don't you'll be sucking wind cause you have to eat all those dots with nothing to help you get through them. This way with the resilience affecting them, such groups as a warrior/hunter would stand just as good of a chance as a any other cleansing group would.

  7. #7

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Coconuter
    So there was a forum going on that had people consistently getting mad over a game, like so many people do anymore. It was about resilence and dots.

    My main is a rogue, Coconuter on Darkspear, I'm much into pve, however, I look at a lot of things and tend to take in a bunch more that others tend to leave out I think.

    My alt is a warlock, all I do is pvp, pvp, pvp, because it's easy as hell to beat people down with warlocks in pvp. This just proves that many specs of a warlocks is easy to play and adapt to, however, playing one as long as I have in pvp, and having had played with many other classes that comment on them I've learned a few things.

    Now, I'm going to stick to more arena type stuff because that seems to be the big issue.

    One is that people consistently feel that DoTs are extremely over powered along with the warlock class; I feel its people not knowing quite what to do with a warlock and the DoTs.

    Sure you can say wow they are an instant cast that do lots of damage, and so on. Compared to (lets go to the big mage arguement) a fireball that you have to cast to do instant damage. So many people see the dot as being so much better, and for moving you bet it is. However, unlike an instant high amount of damage a DoT can be stopped. Yes people, all warlock dot's can be dispelled, otherwise they'd just stick amplify curse CoD on you and avoid everthing you do for a minute with a couple of fears.

    My suggestion is that people go play a warlock to learn more about their weaknesses, just like you play a class to learn its strengths. Theres ways around everything in the game, you just have to know what to do in order to get a good chance at succeeding.

    As for the mages whining about warlocks being terribly overpowered and such and dots, get a pally clense it. You have to learn what you need for things you cant deal with well.

    My last arena partner everytime 2 mages were on a team, went invisible, then BAM goes AP PoM pyro and bye bye priest; not leaving me in a good situation.

    I'm not saying that resilience should or shouldn't do something, I'm just saying you need to be more open minded to see more of a picture. And don't go into the whole name calling thing, its a game over the internet and if your truly mad about it then your very childish.

    My example about being open minded, a girl you really like walks by, your gonna think shes beautiful, even if shes just alright looking because your blinded to only see the good. Think about stuff and consider the good and bad.

  8. #8

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    (My main is a rogue, Coconuter on Darkspear, I'm much into pve, however, I look at a lot of things and tend to take in a bunch more that others tend to leave out I think.

    My alt is a warlock, all I do is pvp, pvp, pvp, because it's easy as hell to beat people down with warlocks in pvp.)


    Umm, what is ur point? u are attempting to say classes are balanced, and although ur main is a rogue - the only clas that can really give a lock trouble - u still choose lock for pvp: but, rightly so, cuz locks can own all. look, locks are imba in pvp and it may not have mattered so much before BC, but with arenas, we have all learned alot, includ blizz, and they are working on it now. locks ARE op, but we can all role them, so i dont qq - but i dont pretend to blind, either, to the current flaws in the game. i like my class all around and will just give blizz time to balance locks and further adjust all classes, as they insist they are working on. Frost Mage.

  9. #9

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Quote Originally Posted by alal
    (My main is a rogue, Coconuter on Darkspear, I'm much into pve, however, I look at a lot of things and tend to take in a bunch more that others tend to leave out I think.

    My alt is a warlock, all I do is pvp, pvp, pvp, because it's easy as hell to beat people down with warlocks in pvp.)


    Umm, what is ur point? u are attempting to say classes are balanced, and although ur main is a rogue - the only clas that can really give a lock trouble - u still choose lock for pvp: but, rightly so, cuz locks can own all. look, locks are imba in pvp and it may not have mattered so much before BC, but with arenas, we have all learned alot, includ blizz, and they are working on it now. locks ARE op, but we can all role them, so i dont qq - but i dont pretend to blind, either, to the current flaws in the game. i like my class all around and will just give blizz time to balance locks and further adjust all classes, as they insist they are working on. Frost Mage.
    Uhh, well how you write doesn't make the most sense, theres no brekas and its a scroll of what looks like a big complaint

    and the classes are pretty well balenced, the warlock being more and more so

    what my point was, is that if you had actually played a lock you would relize, that hey, they do have a bunch of weaknesses that you can use against them

    so if you have problems with them take an advantage of those weaknesses, i mean hell people that have so much problems dont team up with a pally or something to just dispell every dot.

    when you dispel a dot, guess what, you wont take damage... now if you dont like teaming up with them but you cant stay fighting locks, your only hurting yourself, you have to deal with your weaknesses not whine constantly about them saying you cant do anything

    go look at class talents, understand them, then understand their spellbooks, maybe then youll find out something...
    so few people do that and yet so many people complain about stuff they don't want to ever realize or look up

    well sorry, but if you go take calculus and never read your book, your gonna fail, same goes for parts of this game
    and then he cupped my balls...

  10. #10

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Coconuter
    As for the mages whining about warlocks being terribly overpowered and such and dots, get a pally clense it. You have to learn what you need for things you cant deal with well.
    so basically you say that as a mage i need a pally in my backhand at all times in order to kill a lock? how the f*ck can that be balanced?

    DOTS being affected by resil is a nice and needed change.

  11. #11

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Quote Originally Posted by vonholck
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconuter
    As for the mages whining about warlocks being terribly overpowered and such and dots, get a pally clense it. You have to learn what you need for things you cant deal with well.
    so basically you say that as a mage i need a pally in my backhand at all times in order to kill a lock? how the f*ck can that be balanced?

    DOTS being affected by resil is a nice and needed change.
    Exactly the point I was making, every class should be able to deal with each other by the skill they use to play the game. And right now locks just have more of an upperhand when it comes to dealing dmg.

  12. #12

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Coconuter
    when you dispel a dot, guess what, you wont take damage... now if you dont like teaming up with them but you cant stay fighting locks, your only hurting yourself, you have to deal with your weaknesses not whine constantly about them saying you cant do anything
    Two Words: Unstable Affliction

  13. #13

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Quote Originally Posted by vonholck
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconuter
    As for the mages whining about warlocks being terribly overpowered and such and dots, get a pally clense it. You have to learn what you need for things you cant deal with well.
    so basically you say that as a mage i need a pally in my backhand at all times in order to kill a lock? how the f*ck can that be balanced?

    DOTS being affected by resil is a nice and needed change.
    uhh no that person was whining again that they had no chance against a warlock because of dots, so if thats what they suck at get a pally

    if you can handle something in game then u dont need a pally

    fear only has a 20 yard range so its not terribly hard to stay out of it if you make that a point, half the mages have iceblock use it for the dots, use blink to get out of fear range

    or if your fire use AP Pom Pyro, locks are powerful once you let them get situated, if you take them down quick (i.e. focus fire) or keep out of fear range you can do much better

    resillence i never said should be there btw, i didnt comment on it because of how many people consistently start to bicker and whine about whether its there or not

    locks dont have much that can kill you very quick unless you let them chain fear you. Once that happens yea its over for ya, use your trinket, get out of range

    use your brain and the mechanics to your advantage, dont just stand around like a moron wondering why you keep dying when you do the same thing over and over

    i had a lock on my team, guess what the people we faced tried the same thing over and over and didnt even adapt

    take the time to understand the class and your own, if your having problems where somebody with +100 spell power is killing you, its probably gonna be that you don't understand how another class works

    back in the day horde complained so much about pally bubbles, a 5 minute CD spell, now everybody with their standard unchanging duel tactics whines that warlocks are completely unbeatable
    and then he cupped my balls...

  14. #14

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Quote Originally Posted by covington
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfury
    As a frost mage, teaming with a resto druid in 2v2, the only really, REALLY annoyning thing about warlocks is there freaking felhunter. Most of them resist like 50% of ur spell, and if you hit, it resist 50% of the damage, eat ur mana and buffs, and silence you every once in a while. DoTs i dont care, i just IB and clear them all out(thats if i dont spellsteal their Sacrifice bubble). but the freaking felhunter need to be nurfed, and should be almost as easily to kill as the imp imo.
    typical mage whiner.... go back and read "DoTs i dont care, i just IB and clear them all out". Then he has the nerve to complain about the pet. On a druid/mage team both can decurse. That means that you are pretty much immune to a lot of warlock abilities. You can also IB out of a whole stack of effects. Don't forget you have a pet also that hits unreasonably hard while a lock pet does litle or no dammage at all. Your 2v2 team has so much crowd control and survivability. I think the problem here is you need to L2P.
    On a druid/mage team both can decurse. That means that you are pretty much immune to a lot of warlock abilities
    LOL. wtf are you talking about? We can remove 1 effect with decurse, thats it. Still 3-4 DoTs left depending on the spec of the lock that i can't do nothing about except IB..

    You can also IB out of a whole stack of effects.
    Using IB to clear them gives me a 5 min CD on it, or force me to use ColdSnap, while the lock can just fully redot me in less than 6 sec. And using my IB to clear dots prevent me from using it to counter a DeathCoil/PoM+Pyro/Execute/etc in my face. I prefer absorbing dots with my Ice Barrier and couple HoTs on me than having to IB(unless VS 2 Locks or Lock/ShadowPriest).

    And about my pet, any good warlock will banish it as soon as it comes out, leting me land 1 nova and thats it, and when banish finish a fear close the deal for the pet. And against other class than lock, fear or just burning him down(which is very easy to do) put my pet useless.
    So against a lock, my pet gives me 1 nova. The lock pet gives him multiple silences, mana draining and buffs dispels while having something like 50% spell resist.

    So next time before bashing some1 down, try to know what you are talking about. maybe ur the one who l2play.

  15. #15

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Durahal
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconuter
    when you dispel a dot, guess what, you wont take damage... now if you dont like teaming up with them but you cant stay fighting locks, your only hurting yourself, you have to deal with your weaknesses not whine constantly about them saying you cant do anything
    Two Words: Unstable Affliction
    another two words: dispel it.

    UA is not be a problem with the amount of hp players can achieve today. The problem is that to many healers are afraid of it. My rl friend has a holy/disc priest with the gladiator title. He just spam dispels and heals himself through UA. Think about how much mana it would cost to heal you through it, or dispel and heal himself when UA goes off. It must work or he wouldn't have the sweet ride and title. Also, if the lock has UA he won't be soul link which would be much more annoying.

  16. #16

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Coconuter

    another two words: dispel it.

    UA is not be a problem with the amount of hp players can achieve today. The problem is that to many healers are afraid of it. My rl friend has a holy/disc priest with the gladiator title. He just spam dispels and heals himself through UA. Think about how much mana it would cost to heal you through it, or dispel and heal himself when UA goes off. It must work or he wouldn't have the sweet ride and title. Also, if the lock has UA he won't be soul link which would be much more annoying.
    Try playing a warlock someday, or just check from wowhead what dispelling UA does. "In addition, if the Unstable Affliction is dispelled it will cause 990 damage to the dispeller and silence them for 5 sec." Those 5 seconds can be critical, and when you add there a possible fel hunter silence, there´s a long time for warlock to kill someone.

    Seriously could some posters here think even 5 seconds what they are about to write, all this reminds me of elementary school.

  17. #17

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Yea Gladiator title and heals/dispels UA.. I'm sure..

    Ever seen a 11k UA Crit? I have, its not pretty.. (I'm not just pulling this out of my ass either, the screenshot was all over the forums for the longest time)

    5 seconds of silence is what kills (if the damage doesn't)
    9/11/08 - Priests will never forgive, and never forget.

  18. #18

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Please provide armory link for verification.

    Dispelling UA especially in 5v5 is extremely stupid because as soon as the healer is locked down, you can pretty much expect him to be targeted and brought down in less then 5 seconds.

  19. #19

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfury
    As a frost mage, teaming with a resto druid in 2v2, the only really, REALLY annoyning thing about warlocks is there freaking felhunter. Most of them resist like 50% of ur spell, and if you hit, it resist 50% of the damage, eat ur mana and buffs, and silence you every once in a while. DoTs i dont care, i just IB and clear them all out(thats if i dont spellsteal their Sacrifice bubble). but the freaking felhunter need to be nurfed, and should be almost as easily to kill as the imp imo.
    Learn to stack spell penetration, or to simply stay out of range, it's tricky, but it works

    Oh and Coco, locks are not balanced man, they're getting less OP, but you still can't say they're meeting the same difficulties in PvP as other classes currently are.
    I'm usually at the other end of that fireball you just got in your face ;-)

  20. #20

    Re: Something about Warlocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Juju
    Learn to stack spell penetration, or to simply stay out of range, it's tricky, but it works
    Just out of curiosity, which item ability should i lose to get spell pen? Would you like me to waste all my spell crit, just so i can beat down a warlocks pet? Seems like an awful of drawbacks to cope with such a minority. Im happy to stack some where there is no viable alternative (read cloak enchant) but really gear needs to be aimed at the majority of encounters and least of all 1 pet of one class (unless you are an avid 2's player - which im not).

    I dont really like to bash warlocks, because in 5v5 they seem no better than most classes. I would love to see them nerfed slightly in 1v1 and 2v2, without hurting them in the bigger picture.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •