Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Why is a house so much to ask for?

    I just want a house in WoW. I don't know why they went with this garrison route.

    EQ1 had the best housing imo. You bought a house in your guild lot, and you could put and weapons or items wherever you wanted in it and on the lawn, change the house type, buy furniture, etc etc. People can visit, you can give permissions to alts and friends (like a 3d guild bank), and it'll last forever since it's not located in or tied into an expansion.

    I don't want a base, or a fort, or a shipyard, or any other place where I have to do a bunch of crap like mine or pick plants or tell people what to do. I just want a house I can throw my crap where I want and hang out with people in game.

    All I hope is when they do finally put it in it's not a letdown like console skyrim houses. Random furniture placement sucks.

  2. #2
    You're an adventurer, not a stay-at-home sort of person. That's why.

    Plus garrisons offer gameplay, houses do not.

  3. #3
    There are two main reasons:

    1. They didn't want to make houses so attractive that everyone would abandon the cities (wherein, players would only ever go there when they were idling and nowhere else), because otherwise no one would ever go to houses anyways.

    2. Following #1, they didn't want to invest so much time and effort for something that'd be so little used.

    Garrisons were made because they made sense in the context of the storyline.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SMBComix View Post
    Plus garrisons offer gameplay, houses do not.
    Wildstar's housing offered gameplay, though again Blizzard does not want to make housing so good that people only ever go there. Look at how many people only ever sit in their garrisons ATM.

  4. #4
    People are already citing Garrisons for a reason WoD has turned anti-social. You log in, and see who's online, and most people are chilling in their garrisons. I know a lot of people have been asking for player housing since Vanilla, but I wonder how Blizzard can implement housing in the future, without alleviating the same anti-social concerns.

    Has anyone reading this thread played Wildstar? Their take on player housing looked interesting, and I wonder how well it was implemented.
    "Video games only exist, so that idiots have something to be good at" - Joe Hildebrand

  5. #5
    Honestly I kinda wonder why people have gone so long (asking for houses since release, which is now 11 years, isn't it?) without simply switching to another game to get their housing fix. This isn't a "lol play another game scrub" post, I'm really curious about the attachment people have to WoW, if housing is such an important system to them, and there are amazing housing systems available in other games.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    Has anyone reading this thread played Wildstar? Their take on player housing looked interesting, and I wonder how well it was implemented.
    Very well implemented, but again that has led into the problem where people only ever stay on their plots. Once players have built all their necessities in the house, there's no reason to go to town anymore other than for the occasional quirk an NPC offers.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Honestly I kinda wonder why people have gone so long (asking for houses since release, which is now 11 years, isn't it?) without simply switching to another game to get their housing fix. This isn't a "lol play another game scrub" post, I'm really curious about the attachment people have to WoW, if housing is such an important system to them, and there are amazing housing systems available in other games.
    Because all my friends still play wow. Only reason I play anymore really. Ultima --> EQ1 ---> WoW. Just waiting for a switch to ff or if a decent one ever comes out.

    The whole they want people in cities thing doesnt fit, because garrisons did just that. And im not talking about a place to spend all your time. I'm talking about just a house, a house to personalize and show off cool items and whatever. A place to hang out at with people before a raid or while pvping. No mini games, click farming, or dailies. Just chillin. Maybe a vendor and a portal to the main city, nothing more though.

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Herradura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    There are two main reasons:

    1. They didn't want to make houses so attractive that everyone would abandon the cities (wherein, players would only ever go there when they were idling and nowhere else), because otherwise no one would ever go to houses anyways.

    2. Following #1, they didn't want to invest so much time and effort for something that'd be so little used.

    Garrisons were made because they made sense in the context of the storyline.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Wildstar's housing offered gameplay, though again Blizzard does not want to make housing so good that people only ever go there. Look at how many people only ever sit in their garrisons ATM.
    But they failed at #1 with garrisons, so I'm not sure you're making much of a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybathtub View Post
    this forum is a shithole

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Because all my friends still play wow. Only reason I play anymore really. Ultima --> EQ1 ---> WoW. Just waiting for a switch to ff or if a decent one ever comes out.

    The whole they want people in cities thing doesnt fit, because garrisons did just that. And im not talking about a place to spend all your time. I'm talking about just a house, a house to personalize and show off cool items and whatever. A place to hang out at with people before a raid or while pvping. No mini games, click farming, or dailies. Just chillin. Maybe a vendor and a portal to the main city, nothing more though.
    So you basically want Blizzard to spend several dozens hours copying and pasting stock houses into capital cities, putting phasing on them and then trying to implement a trophy-esque system for items and such, which 90% will never use? Yeah... that's not going to happen.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    But they failed at #1 with garrisons, so I'm not sure you're making much of a point.
    That's exactly why they wouldn't want to do with houses.

  10. #10
    Dreadlord Jaspias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    IN THE MOUNTAINS
    Posts
    852
    Blizzard could implement houses in a sort of village. a few plots for players to build phased houses with a village center hub with all your normal city faculties. the only downside would be the inability to make your house stand out, you could only change the interior

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaspias View Post
    Blizzard could implement houses in a sort of village. a few plots for players to build phased houses with a village center hub with all your normal city faculties. the only downside would be the inability to make your house stand out, you could only change the interior
    A LotRO style housing system like that would never work in WoW; it'd be impossible to have multiple player's houses phased into a single neighborhood that is already phased by itself into a phased city.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    I just want a house in WoW. I don't know why they went with this garrison route.

    EQ1 had the best housing imo. You bought a house in your guild lot, and you could put and weapons or items wherever you wanted in it and on the lawn, change the house type, buy furniture, etc etc. People can visit, you can give permissions to alts and friends (like a 3d guild bank), and it'll last forever since it's not located in or tied into an expansion.

    I don't want a base, or a fort, or a shipyard, or any other place where I have to do a bunch of crap like mine or pick plants or tell people what to do. I just want a house I can throw my crap where I want and hang out with people in game.

    All I hope is when they do finally put it in it's not a letdown like console skyrim houses. Random furniture placement sucks.
    Wildstar has cool housing as well.
    http://i5.minus.com/iT9gBOC94PbmU.jpg NON SINE DIIS ANIMOSUS INFANS
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    This term isn't far off, though it would need the word "scientific" in front of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Accessibility, ownership, availability; these are all essentially the same thing.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    So you basically want Blizzard to spend several dozens hours copying and pasting stock houses into capital cities, putting phasing on them and then trying to implement a trophy-esque system for items and such, which 90% will never use? Yeah... that's not going to happen.

    - - - Updated - - -



    That's exactly why they wouldn't want to do with houses.
    Or they could make a guild housing area portal where you can walk through and pick which neighborhood you want? They wouldnt have to make trophies or new buildings at first, just have all the smaller racial building as choices, and all the weapons already have 3-d models. Hang all the weapons we have on the wall.

    I think it would be pretty easy to do, and if it's not tied to a specific expansion it would last and be used by a lot of people.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    I think it would be pretty easy to do
    You underestimate the enormous amount of effort that'd be involved for something so seemingly simple; the game's coding is over 15 years old, and WoD was delayed by 6 whole months just to finish up the garrisons, of which much of what was planned for it never made it into the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    and if it's not tied to a specific expansion it would last and be used by a lot of people.
    Again, it is completely irrelevant whether or not it is tied to a specific expansion; people will only ever use it unless they have a reason to use it. If it doesn't give any utitlity, then only a small fraction of the playerbase will actualyl go there to RP and hangout. On the otherhand, if they give it utility like Wildstar's housing with profession trainers, portals, etc etc, then everyone will only ever use it instead of the cities, which Blizzard doesn't want. There's no middle ground in this case.

  15. #15
    "Technical limitations" bro.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBComix View Post
    You're an adventurer, not a stay-at-home sort of person. That's why.

    Plus garrisons offer gameplay, houses do not.
    Oh yeah, I love shitty Facebook games.

  17. #17
    Pandaren Monk DomesticViolence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    1,854
    I'm surprised that there aren't Guild Garrisons,where the entire guild is linked up.

  18. #18
    For the same reason that armor dye is apparently too much to ask for. Can't you just be happy with selfie cameras?

    Players these days, I tell ya.
    "Look around you. We're all liars here, and every one of us is better than you" - PB

  19. #19
    Dreadlord Jaspias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    IN THE MOUNTAINS
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    A LotRO style housing system like that would never work in WoW; it'd be impossible to have multiple player's houses phased into a single neighborhood that is already phased by itself into a phased city.
    who says the city is phased? just about five or six phased plots in one non-phased open city

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaspias View Post
    who says the city is phased? just about five or six phased plots in one non-phased open city
    So only 5 or 6 people per server per city get a house? Yeah, that's not happening.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •