Private servers?

I've wondered about them ever since Exlporation videos started popping up (in other words, a LONG time ago). Anyways, just recently I've been wondering how exactly you make/get one. Is it so complicated to do, I don't even want to know? Is it against the TOS?
    Characters:
    http://pewpewboom.zer.googlepages.com/zer%27scharacter2

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Private servers?

You can make one on your local computer.
    I heard it requires a fair about of know how, but definently not impossible.
    Yes, its against the TOS, don't get caught.

We're not allowed to discuss this here, it could actually get boub in trouble, especially on a site with this much traffic.

Having a private server is grounds for banning on the spot if caught, and grounds for legal action (seen it happen twice now against 2 large private servers)

So if you step that boundary, be my guess, but you'll be walking a thin line =p

(Boub delete this =p)
    9/11/08 - Priests will never forgive, and never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowclaimer
    We're not allowed to discuss this here, it could actually get boub in trouble, especially on a site with this much traffic.

Having a private server is grounds for banning on the spot if caught, and grounds for legal action (seen it happen twice now against 2 large private servers)

So if you step that boundary, be my guess, but you'll be walking a thin line =p

(Boub delete this =p)
    @_@ sorry, was just curious.
    Characters:

Yes it violates the TOS
    Dont do it, dont talk about it.

A website (not going to name names) had a forum for Emulated Servers, Blizzard found out and took legal action against the owner. Website is still there but had a name change and a lot of restrictions set on what you can and cant talk about :-X
    Free gold tomorrow!

OMG ! I'M GOING TO JAIL FOR THIS POST !

Wait, actually, no.

Basically, most (all ?) private servers are run with a MySQL DB + a server program. And before you start wasting your time on this, seriously, private servers are crap. (No loot table, weird stats on a lot of monsters, etc ...)

If you really want to explore, WoWMapViewer is fine. (And you won't have to download a hundred of strange .exe like you would do for a private server. ^^)

Of course, anyone giving more information about it, like names, websites, anything I can think of, will get insta-banned.

stop deleting my post -.- jez

just search ragezone in google

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    OMG ! I'M GOING TO JAIL FOR THIS POST !

Wait, actually, no.

Basically, most (all ?) private servers are run with a MySQL DB + a server program. And before you start wasting your time on this, seriously, private servers are crap. (No loot table, weird stats on a lot of monsters, etc ...)

If you really want to explore, WoWMapViewer is fine. (And you won't have to download a hundred of strange .exe like you would do for a private server. ^^)

Of course, anyone giving more information about it, like names, websites, anything I can think of, will get insta-banned.
    I wasn't actually going to try it, too lazy too. Just always wondered how it was done.
    Characters:

Like Boub said, it is against the ToS only if you actualy use it for something else than a personal use (like if you have 1 or more players on your server).
    I am indestructible.

Epic Noob's Vehicle

I have basic knowlage on how to make a private server, i dont want to go into detail on how to do it other than from what ive heard (ive not done it myself) its not worth going to a private server. It makes normal wow boring and tedious as you cant just 1shot a boss, and you cant get "phat lewts" and by making a private server you will wreck your own wow installation and have to reinstall it and DL all and all and all those patches again.. dont do it, its not worth the hassle.

Not to mention with all the pain of installing one (it works sometimes) it does take a decent computer to keep one running (even solo) with WoW open simultaneously..

9/11/08 - Priests will never forgive, and never forget.

My view on private servers is this I believe we should be able to use them for exploration and seeing things that we wouldn't be able to see regularly. Now I don't mean that we should be able to see things like unreleased areas and other sensitive content but I would like to see some of the older raid instances and areas that are just in accessible like hyjal. I know that very few people actually go to these instances any more so I think this would be the only way to do this. The only other thing I can think of is for Blizzard to allow us to set the instances to a casual setting that way 40 mans can be brought do to like a 5 man rating that way some people can still experience these places.

Wildhorn : Nop, it's just against the TOS, even for personal use. Anyway, post locked.