Alterac Valley, low-pop realms, recruitment

Alterac Valley
    Drysc posted about the upcoming changes in Alterac Valley.

Originally Posted by Drysc
    There are quite a few changes coming, all of which we hope will culminate into making players want to participate, and ultimately win the battleground.

Obviously as most people know we have the anti-afk reporting measure, by which you can right click on someone in the battleground and mark them as AFK. With enough reports they receive a debuff that keeps them from earning honor in that battleground, and only by entering combat can they remove that debuff. It's going to help, but it's certainly not enough on its own.

Other things we're doing are changing or pulling out NPCs in key locations to help even out the balance of time and effort each side has to take to push through. As well as some minor changes to locations that people find are easily exploited to advance faster.

We're shifting some of the honor from the earlier NPCs, that help make AFKing so lucrative, to the end of the battleground and more for actually winning.

The graveyard spawning is being changed so that players aren't sent back to the cave unless there is nowhere else to spawn, which should help encourage horde to play a bit more defense if they're being beaten back.

And we're also correcting the ... I think Jeff referred to them as "creative pulling mechanics" with the general's.

Everything together, we feel, should help encourage players to participate, while also improving overall balance.

Source

Low-population realms
    Blizzard is stuck with a few empty realms. They're searching for new way to fill them, and it seems that they're considering realm merging.

Originally Posted by Drysc
    We're certainly looking at additional means to help realms that have lower populations.

There are a couple issues with merging realms though that we would need to take into heavy consideration if one were to be considered. As many of the lower population realms are PvP, faction balance has to be taken into careful consideration. Would a merge worsen, improve, or leave any faction balance unchanged? Would a merge move the population up too high, queuing or leading to queues for the realm after that point? Do we have realms of the same time zone and type that would merge well under these conditions? There also many logistical issues with merges which ultimately effect the end user, such as conflicting character and guild names. So, in the end, a merge would only be considered if all other possible options have been completely exhausted.

We're not just throwing recommended tags up on realms, and calling it a day. The recommended tag has done a lot of good for a lot of realms, but if we're seeing that they're no longer helping reach the type of population numbers we would like to see, then we would investigate alternate means. That's sort of where we're at now.

Source

Recruitment forums
    Yes, they're here, you can stop posting on other forums. For the moment the posts are still advertised in the "Latest posts" frame at the top of the homepage, but there are really too many of them i'll probably deactivate it.

• [iurl=http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?board=14.0]Guild Recruitment - US PvP Servers[/iurl]
    • [iurl=http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?board=15.0]Guild Recruitment - US PvE Servers[/iurl]
    • [iurl=http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?board=16.0]Guild Recruitment - EU-English PvP Servers[/iurl]
    • [iurl=http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?board=17.0]Guild Recruitment - EU-English PvE Servers[/iurl]
    • [iurl=http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?board=18.0]Guild Recruitment - EU-German PvP Servers[/iurl]
    • [iurl=http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?board=19.0]Guild Recruitment - EU-German PvE Servers[/iurl]
    • [iurl=http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?board=20.0]Guild Recruitment - EU-French PvP Servers[/iurl]
    • [iurl=http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?board=21.0]Guild Recruitment - EU-French PvE Servers[/iurl]

Re: Alterac Valley, low-pop realms, recruitment

Hope the changes turn out to improve the AV more than turn it into a train wreck.

To be honest I like AV how it is, I do not want every AV to be a >1h game because so much people are in the defense. After 2 years of AV I only want my honor there, so the "no honor for cave camping" would be enough for me.

Yeah, just got to wait for my uber coder on MSN.

I personally am a fan of the longer, more epic battleground fights. I played on the test realm the other night and fought for like 3 hours, back and forth, summoning the Ice Lord, war riders, etc. It was fun, like the old days. I got on live and we didn't even kill Galv, it was just a mad rush to Drek. Boring. I wish they'd make it worth it to clear out bosses/graveyards/towers. Give more honor for doing it, something to make it worth the time to fight the longer fights.

@Xionor : Done ^^

i dont really see this changing much, ally are still going to just rush drek, horde are just going to farm at Sp gy, 10 minutes laters game over, repeat repeat

I'd be willing to fight the good fight longer if they made it worth the time you spend doing it. But the way it is right now you still get the same amount wether you rush it or go the long way. Not accounting for the indiviual killings you get which get less and less the more often we keep killing the same ones over and over. That right there would make someone just want to get it over with seeing how there's no gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Legionn
    I'd be willing to fight the good fight longer if they made it worth the time you spend doing it. But the way it is right now you still get the same amount wether you rush it or go the long way. Not accounting for the indiviual killings you get which get less and less the more often we keep killing the same ones over and over. That right there would make someone just want to get it over with seeing how there's no gain.
    I agree completely.

I actually liked to do the AV-premades where the match would be over in a maximum of 20 minutes. No Horde defense and a straight rush on both sides (hell a lot of people would just pass each other on the way to the next place). It was more of a skillful race than it was a contest of attrition.

Take out more NPCs? Are they insane? Put in more ><

Make it so that AV Marks are gained by taking/defending objectives and return the game back to how it originally was! The 6 hour ordeals that made AV epic and fun.. not this piece of junk that whiners got it turned into..

Now its literally just a race track..
    9/11/08 - Priests will never forgive, and never forget.

that empty realm thing made me laugh so hard, they have 9 million players and they have empty realms LOL. they should all be packed.

delete the empty ones, and wait for the others to all transfer off realm to delete them =D problem solved.

I gotta agree its taking this long for them to figure out some servers are dead? jesus man... Look before server transfers they would merge servers and they didnt seem to have a problem with that so whats the issue now... so what if people have the same names and guild names? make them change it... im sure some of them will welcome having to change their names cause they're loot whores or ninjas so they wont mind a verry few ppl would complain on having to change their guild name or their toons name to benefit themselfs in the long run being in a higher pop server... Plz dont feed me that crap blizz its not even hard to do

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowclaimer
    Take out more NPCs? Are they insane? Put in more ><

Make it so that AV Marks are gained by taking/defending objectives and return the game back to how it originally was! The 6 hour ordeals that made AV epic and fun.. not this piece of junk that whiners got it turned into..

Now its literally just a race track..
    im with u all the way i rly liked the old long AVs i dont even do av now because of the way it is

If they got too little players on some realms, why don't they open free character migration from any realm to the empty ones?

what is meant with "creative pulling" ?

The horde had an exploit where they could pull Vandaar without the warmasters